REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,228 Times in 171 Posts
Need some help with a solid shoulder routine @ gym

I've had a really tough time building solid mass in my shoulders. I played rugby for quite a few years and witnessed a lot of shoulder injuries- I figure that might have made me pretty apprehensive about more intense shoulder training. As soon as I feel even a slight click I stop completely. In addition, the times I attempted to do a heavier shoulder routine, I only seemed to bulk up the front of my shoulders. I also get conflicting information - some have said that going heavy in shoulder presses is important for mass, and others stress that heavy weights are never necessary for shoulder building and are in fact detrimental.

I do a lot of compound excersizes that include shoulders such as barbell deadlifts & cleans, and kettlebell swings/cleans, but rarely any isolation work anymore.

My goal is to put together a shoulder day or some sort of shoulder focus to add to the end of each workout that can help me build some size and mass over the coming weeks.

Problem is I have no idea where to start. It pisses me off because I'd say shoulders have been my weak point for years, and I hope to get that right this fall/winter.

Any suggestions are really appreciated. Thanks Revsceners
Advertisement
Powerslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,051 Times in 676 Posts
Your typical seated DB shoulder press (alternating with barbell)

My two personal favourites for shoulders are the behind-the-neck shoulder press w/ smith machine, and DB lateral raises.

With only those 4 exercises, I've seen huge growth in my shoulders, and have caught up with the rest of my body (shoulders were out for 5 months).
Fcukedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
I've stopped doing DB shoulder presses, mainly because of a clicking noise and no spotter to get past 55pds and started doing smith machine presses for the last month or so, and I've noticed a difference.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:25 AM   #4
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
+1 for overhead press
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
I always start shoulder (and back workouts) with a rotator cuff exercise. I've found using a cable machine and pulling across your body with your elbow at 90 degrees works the best. Not only does it build muscle inside your shoulder but it builds the back of it nicely as well if you really flex hard on the "extension".
Spoiler!

I like doing the forward dumbbell shoulder raise. Keep your back straight, lift the dumbbell until it is slightly over your head, flex and hold. This is a light weight exercise. I've never seen anyone do more than 32.5's (me!), most do 20-25s. Form is much more important than weight.

Also I'm not sure what it's called but using a flat bar, grip both hands near the middle and pull the bar up until your hands are just under your chin. Keep your back straight, and flex hard at the top trying to pinch your shoulder blades together.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,775 Times in 8,169 Posts
Any overhead press is the best, but I agree you should always start with a rotator exercise. Also, do a lot of shoulder mobility warmups too. The ones where you use a bar are great.

ALso these are fun

SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

I found lightening the load helped my shoulders a lot... At least for me if I go too heavy my traps take a beating but I get no pump in my shoulders..
Old 11-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

+2 for overhead press works every head of the muscle group. I think uptight rows are fun too. I usually use cable for that because i find using a barbell its a lot easy to cheat.
Posted via RS Mobile
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

One thing that helped my shoulders a lot is doing side raises one side at a time with slow weights making sure you aren't moving your traps and shrugging/swinging the weights up. I like to keep my hand that isn't doing the raise at the bottom of my opposite trap so that I'm sure it isn't moving.
hx2gls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
the vidoe that skinny posted is money
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote