REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Need help revisiting fashion below the waist (https://www.revscene.net/forums/656643-need-help-revisiting-fashion-below-waist.html)

Gnomes 10-31-2011 03:49 PM

Need help revisiting fashion below the waist

I am a bit outdated with fashion and seek advice from you people here. I am trying to revisit jeans and shoes.

-Me having thin legs and cannot wear skinny jeans, are fitted bootcut or fitted straight jeans still considered 'in' or acceptable?
-How long should a pair of jeans be? ie. when I am standing, should the bottom of the leg touch the ground, past the ground, etc?
-Most jeans nowadays are low rise. How to wear them properly without giving myself a wedgie or have the feeling my pants are falling?
-What non-sneaker shoes would look good with jeans on a friday night outing?
-And what belts to go with the above?

TIA

unit 10-31-2011 04:23 PM

the trend lately is with skinny jeans, but its not like anything contrary to that is unacceptable.
bootcut is not really popular anymore, but straight will probably always be.

hemming is up to you. some people do not hem at all, and some people hem short. anything in between is acceptable of course.

wear a leather belt if you're a guy... thats pretty straight forward.

aikenluu918 10-31-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnomes (Post 7671048)
I am a bit outdated with fashion and seek advice from you people here. I am trying to revisit jeans and shoes.

-Me having thin legs and cannot wear skinny jeans, are fitted bootcut or fitted straight jeans still considered 'in' or acceptable?
-How long should a pair of jeans be? ie. when I am standing, should the bottom of the leg touch the ground, past the ground, etc?
-Most jeans nowadays are low rise. How to wear them properly without giving myself a wedgie or have the feeling my pants are falling?
-What non-sneaker shoes would look good with jeans on a friday night outing?
-And what belts to go with the above?

TIA

i have thin legs aswell
i would recommend slim fit straight legs, might take some time getting used to but definitely look better than baggy jeans (my opinion able to be dressed up or down)
if you go out to dinners a lot or would like something for casual fridays try a darker denim as they are more formal than light jeans

2) yes most jeans are now low rise, just wear them on the hips and nothing lower. if they feel loose wear a belt

3)i'd go with dress shoes.

4) leather belt.

6insomnia9 10-31-2011 06:10 PM

True religion

Ed hardy
Posted via RS Mobile

PJ 10-31-2011 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6insomnia9 (Post 7671190)
True religion

Ed hardy
Posted via RS Mobile

^Not sure if serious or trolling

It all really depends on your personal style/body shape..

But from a current trending point of view, fitted/slim is in; baggy/relaxed is out. So if you're not into skinnies, fitted/slim straight legs are the safest choice.. or even bootcut. Bootcut is not really "out," but I'm sure it's needless to say, just watch how much it flares out..

The fit on the waist is up to you, some people like it tighter, some people like it a little looser, same goes for the hemming. Depends on your own taste.

Non-sneaker shoes.. really the only sensible choice left is dress shoes.

Leather belt is a must, imo. Polyester belts are really kiddish.

Gnomes 10-31-2011 07:51 PM

Thanks everybody. Much appreciated. One last thing is the length of the jeans. Many websites with jean shows jean longer than what it should be, kinda covering the front of the shoes and touching bottom heel of the shoes. I normally have them 2 inches above the ground.

If i leave the jean long and touch the ground, that would mean dirty jeans fast would it not?

Splmash 10-31-2011 08:44 PM

it will definitely collect some dirt if they're too low. but the standard to hemming your jeans is wear em without shoes and have em just touch the ground. fold it up, or mark it with a pin and go to some chinese place. they'll hem it for dirt cheap

PJ 10-31-2011 09:38 PM

^Really?

Most hemming places I've been to will have you keep your shoes on when trying on the jeans, and will typically hem it to where the backside just barely touching the ground behind the back heel of your shoe. (Maybe this standard has changed, I haven't gotten a pair of jeans hemmed in years..) If you'd like it a bit longer or shorter, just let them know.

Personally, when the backside is just barely scraping the ground is perfect for me.

I tried hemming a pair of jeans with full clearance where it didn't touch the ground at all. Was not impressed. I gave the jeans to my younger brother after wearing it a couple times. It felt kinda awkward when I was walking, like the bottom of the pant leg was swinging around on it's own. Also when I sat down, the bottom of the pant leg rides up just a tad too much, revealing too much sock/ankle. It's amazing how much difference that inch makes.

But hey, it's really up to you. There's plenty of people who don't mind having their jeans a little shorter.

Splmash 11-02-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJ (Post 7671455)
^Really?

Most hemming places I've been to will have you keep your shoes on when trying on the jeans, and will typically hem it to where the backside just barely touching the ground behind the back heel of your shoe. (Maybe this standard has changed, I haven't gotten a pair of jeans hemmed in years..) If you'd like it a bit longer or shorter, just let them know.

Personally, when the backside is just barely scraping the ground is perfect for me.

I tried hemming a pair of jeans with full clearance where it didn't touch the ground at all. Was not impressed. I gave the jeans to my younger brother after wearing it a couple times. It felt kinda awkward when I was walking, like the bottom of the pant leg was swinging around on it's own. Also when I sat down, the bottom of the pant leg rides up just a tad too much, revealing too much sock/ankle. It's amazing how much difference that inch makes.

But hey, it's really up to you. There's plenty of people who don't mind having their jeans a little shorter.

You have a good point. The no shoes things is more for pants.

And it really takes in count the kind of shoes you'll be wearing. Sneakers? Canvas shoes? etc.

I personally don't even hem my jeans, I just let them stack. But to each their own.

vvd 11-03-2011 12:17 AM

Personally I like to fold my jeans at the bottom because I wear different shoes with different heights so that way I can change the length whenever I want. It depends on your body type, but I generally like the look of straight cut jeans. +1 for leather belt. As for shoes I think dress shoes, or really nice running shoes... even though you said no sneakers... but it depends on how formal the outing is.

Mr.HappySilp 11-03-2011 12:27 AM

what ever looks good on u. I don't look good on Slim so I never buys them. In fact out of all the jeans I have I find Levis the best. Sure the jeans they make isn't flashy or in fashion but they fit confortable, colors don't fade at all, good quality for the price. But again expect to make any fashion statement with them. Some of the style actually looks better on me than a lot of "in fashion" brand.

I say just walk around downtown and try different styles and brands and see what looks good on you.

PJ 11-03-2011 05:39 AM

I think Levi's will always be "in fashion." They have worlds of different fits and styles. From jeans you can wear to work to jeans you can wear to the club.

The flashy jeans like R&R's, True Religions, etc are slowly getting too played out by everyone having high quality fakes, and are getting tuned out.
I kinda feel like a douchebag when I wear my TR's now. Havent touched them in months. I'd much rather buy a pair of Sevens, Levi's or any brand of raw denim.

simma 11-03-2011 07:19 AM

Dress shoes? Go with boots, way more versatile. Chelseas, officers, brogue...