REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   driving without seatbelt (https://www.revscene.net/forums/656714-driving-without-seatbelt.html)

terkan 11-01-2011 04:31 PM

driving without seatbelt

so i was leaving the parking lot and waiting to left turn to exit so while waiting i was in the process of putting on my seat belt, the ghost car behind me pulled me over for driving without a seat belt. i don't think i've driven for more than 100m? any chance to dispute it at all? and the cop being behind me, how does he even see? if the cop was in front of me or beside me it would make sense. i'm prolly better off just paying the ticket off but wondering if there's any chance i can dispute it or even reduce the fine ~~ 167 for a seat belt seems harsh compared to only like 138 for a speeding ticket??? and i haven't had a ticket for 6 yrs now so dunno if that would help ~ please no stupid replies like it's ur fault blah blah.

GoneGuru 11-01-2011 04:43 PM

It is your fault though. Why couldn't you put on your seatbelt before you started your car? An accident can happen at anytime. It's not like your car is invulnerable for the first 100m.

bluejays 11-01-2011 04:47 PM

^Yeah there's no limit on how far you have to drive to receive that ticket. Once you put it in gear you're driving.

Szeto 11-01-2011 04:52 PM

^+1

unless you can prove that your seatbelt mechanism was broken at the time the ticket was issued, even then your chance of winning the dispute is slim....

firebird79_00 11-01-2011 04:54 PM

you can dispute but your not gonna win unless the cop doesnt show up. It doesnt matter if you have moved 1mm, driving is driving. As for the cop being able to see you, well that should be obvious. Hes behind you observing you reach over to your seat belt and then reach back across to put it on. Is this seriously worth a thread?

Excelsis 11-01-2011 04:56 PM

in romania taxi drivers drive without seatbelt because it's a sign of a "bad driver" :troll:

but yeah in canada, it's strict law, don't have it you get penalized it, fines are ridiculous though, your fault.

corollagtSr5 11-01-2011 05:01 PM

Well the taxi driver here in canada said they don't have to wear seat belts because the passengers could be a potential threat. Not sure if he was telling the truth or not.

Nechako87 11-01-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha v2 (Post 7672422)
in romania taxi drivers drive without seatbelt because it's a sign of a "bad driver" :troll:

In canada, taxi driver's aren't required to wear a seatbelt if they are driving under 60 km/hr (or so I was told)

terkan 11-01-2011 05:32 PM

meh i usually put on my seat belt.. but apparently the no seatbelt light is dead :(

Simnut 11-01-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terkan (Post 7672477)
meh i usually put on my seat belt.. but apparently the no seatbelt light is dead :(

It should be a habit to put it on, not having to be reminded by a seat belt sign/ding.......

firebird79_00 11-01-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nechako87 (Post 7672435)
In canada, taxi driver's aren't required to wear a seatbelt if they are driving under 60 km/hr (or so I was told)

Thats fucked cause 90% of taxis are rebuilds and 50% of those wouldnt pass another inspection

zulutango 11-01-2011 07:55 PM

Considering the high level of risk from a parking lot crash, you took more than 1 chance when you chose to not wear your belt till later. It's easy to tell if your belt was not worn, all depends on the evidence given. Where the PC was parked, his view inside the car, the absence of a cross strap, the fact that you may have been seen pulling it on as you were stopped. There are exemptions but you didn't qualify, so you should have worn it.Sorry but I've seen too many needless injuries to have any sympathy for someone who chooses to not wear a seat belt.

Nlkko 11-01-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nechako87 (Post 7672435)

:heckno:

Those fuckers can't drive worth a damn.

Qmx323 11-01-2011 11:25 PM

Are seat belts required even on private (not public highway) property?

taylor192 11-02-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qmx323 (Post 7673137)

AFAIK they are required in parking lots, which are technically private property. My older brother got a ticket for this, putting on his seat belt while driving through the lot.

benwang 11-02-2011 09:04 AM

i feel bad for you but technically cops have right to give you the ticket.
remember. those pigs will try to get us in anyway they can.

Berzerker 11-02-2011 09:05 AM

I got a ticket in a A&W parking lot because I had to remove my seatbelt to get my wallet out of my pocket. I pulled out of the drive through area into the parking lot and was putting it back on after reinserting my wallet into my pocket. The officer had a ride along and the ride along was the one who saw me in the parking lot without the seatbelt on. The officer pulled a U-turn, waited for me to pull out onto the road and then pulled me over and proceeded to ticket me for driving without a seatbelt. I just laughed at him and ate my food while I waited for my ticket. I disputed the ticket and won. During the court process my only question was "Did you personally see me without my seatbelt on on a public roadway?" The officer said no he did not but that the ride along saw me. I then asked if they were there to give evidence and they were not. Ticket was thrown out based on that.

Berz out.

CRS 11-02-2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benwang (Post 7673396)
i feel bad for you but technically cops have right to give you the ticket.
remember. those pigs will try to get us in anyway they can.

Does it make you feel like you're more of man calling police officers pigs?

I bet you would never dare do it IRL.

gars 11-02-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7673366)
AFAIK they are required in parking lots, which are technically private property. My older brother got a ticket for this, putting on his seat belt while driving through the lot.

AFAIK, a parking lot is considered a public highway if there is public access to it. If it's on your own property, such as someone going off-roading on their farm, and the area they are on is fenced off and has no public access, then they can do whatever they want without following the BC MVA. However, ICBC wouldn't cover anything that happens.

FerrariEnzo 11-02-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

lol so you want to not wear your seatbelt driving out your driveway, then stop the car and put on the seatbelt? wouldnt that be annoying..

I put it on as soon as my car starts.. the time needed to put on my seatbelt, is usually enough time for my car to warm up and roll out... well.. now since its really cold, i think it may need a bit more time..

Qmx323 11-02-2011 01:41 PM

Way to jump to conclusions brah

I work at a car dealership and we move cars around our lot all day and no one but me wears seat belts. There IS public access to our sales lot but its private property.

'S Why I ask yo.

MPTness 11-02-2011 05:28 PM

STOP STALKING ME CLAIRE

zulutango 11-02-2011 07:58 PM

"highway" includes

(a) every highway within the meaning of the Transportation Act,

(b) every road, street, lane or right of way designed or intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles, and
(c) every private place or passageway to which the public, for the purpose of the parking or servicing of vehicles, has access or is invited,

but does not include an industrial road;

gretzky 11-02-2011 08:58 PM

like all tickets just dispute it, chances are cops will not even show up and you save money in your pocket. all the other people on here saying to pay it cause its your fault, just wants your money to go to the city..

fishCak3s 11-02-2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo (Post 7673579)
lol so you want to not wear your seatbelt driving out your driveway, then stop the car and put on the seatbelt? wouldnt that be annoying..

I put it on as soon as my car starts.. the time needed to put on my seatbelt, is usually enough time for my car to warm up and roll out... well.. now since its really cold, i think it may need a bit more time..

I put my seatbelt on right after I start my car.
It's second nature.