REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 11-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Need advice for post secondary education

Hey guys im currently in highschool. Next year ill be in my grad year, and i still dont know what i should do post secondary.

Im really interested in automotive and motorcycles, BUT, everybody says that going to UBC/SFU would be a better approach to life in the future, with better pay and better jobs.

Unfortunately UBC/SFU have somewhat high standards, and no courses to what my interest is in. UBC especially i don't think that my grades will cut it.

Most of my subjects in gr.11 right now i think i can get above 80%, with the exception of Physics and Chem which probably wont end well.

Would going into BCIT and taking the Automotive/Motorcycle Tech course be a bad idea?
Advertisement
Elementwingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
no course going into what you like is a bad idea, there is no reason why you should go ubc/sfu and go into sciences if you don't like them..
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

not sure if serious ..

but if you are, you should head into a field in which you are interested in. Do you wanna be working for the next 40 years with something you hate?

unless you have strict asian parents, that a different story
wuuhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
Banned By Establishment

There are some advantages of obtaining a degree. For instance, it will be easier for you to change careers in the future if you have a degree. If it's not a huge financial burden, I would attend a University and explore the myriad of courses that they offer. You never know what you are missing out on. Most people think of school as tantamount to vocational training, but it is not. A degree can give you so much perspective on life and give you many transferable/general skills.
JudeChow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,563 Times in 171 Posts
I spent two years in college taking random courses because I didn't know what I wanted to do for a career. Just a few months ago I decided that I enjoyed accounting and finance so I decided to attend BCIT in the financial management program there. Seeing as how you already have an idea about what you wanna do in the future you should stick with it. Life is short, you wouldn't want to regret not taking automotive 20 years later.
Fappin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
Banned By Establishment

By the same token, he may regret not attending University. University is pretty much standard these days. Say in the future, you decide that you don't want to get your hands all dirty, it is a lot easier to change careers if you have degree period. Trust me, when you're 30 and working in industry, it's hard to leave a job even if you decide that you hate your job and want more education. On the other hand, it is easier to get into the automotive trade after you have obtained a degree than vice versa.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2011, 01:16 AM   #7
I STILL don't get it

i'm in the boat that decided to get a diploma in BCIT in something that interested me (Robotics) but realistically there is no career (plenty of jobs, but no careers) that can use that diploma. I got an engineering job with that diploma but for a small company with no hope for a promotion. My BCIT diploma ended up being a dead end.

Now, 2 years after i got out of BCIT, I regret not applying for university. At least right now i'm still trying to gain entry into UBC's Mech Engineering dept. and hopefully get out before i reach my 30's.

For your case, you can actually use a Automotive/Motorcycle Tech to get a useful career. BUT, if you have the opportunity, I'm sure a Mechanical Engineering degree from a university can't hurt you outside of a bigger hit to the wallet.

There are DEFINITELY opportunities in automotive or motorcycle fields for degree holders. These parts don't design themselves, after all. There's heavy engineering that goes into both fields, and a degree will certainly help you out in that.
jello24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #8
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Thanks for the replies guys,

So a better route would be to finish high school, go to UBC/SFU for mechanical engineering, then head off to BCIT to take the two courses?

Ive got a lot of time to think about it, but i want an idea of what i should be aiming for.

How is the rate of opportunities for something like automotive/motorcycle engineering? The one thing im worried about is spending all that time and money on those courses then coming out to the real world and not being able to find a career.
Elementwingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elementwingz View Post
Thanks for the replies guys,

So a better route would be to finish high school, go to UBC/SFU for mechanical engineering, then head off to BCIT to take the two courses?

Ive got a lot of time to think about it, but i want an idea of what i should be aiming for.

How is the rate of opportunities for something like automotive/motorcycle engineering? The one thing im worried about is spending all that time and money on those courses then coming out to the real world and not being able to find a career.
It's impossible to tell how the job markets will be especially in 5 years when you're done. Typically, electrical engineering has the best job outcome, but definately steer clear of computer and civil engineering if you want to stay local. I know many people that are w/o a job after graduation from these programs.

As for the BCIT automotive tech program, I know a couple of grads and they tried to open their own business. Newer cars break down much less often and if they do, the majority of people just bring them back to the dealerships. If you want to be an auto tech, perhaps an apprentership with a dealership through BCIT might be the best idea. Can't comment on the engineering side though, but my friends did mention that the future is going to be electric and might potentially put a lot of techs out of jobs as those motors don't even need an oil change.

At any rate, if you have no intention of becoming a doctor/dentist/vet/optometrist/pharmacist, stay clear of sciences at UBC/SFU. The first and second level science courses are designed to weed out the weak. If you think physics and chem are hard now, wait till they literally go 3D on you! Unless you really like sciences, pick something else.

Last edited by optiblue; 11-09-2011 at 06:34 PM.
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
Banned By Establishment

I concur with the above post. It is hard to say what the market will be like 5,10, 20 years from now.My general advice is not to get into something purely because it is in demand, because once the demand is gone, you are stuck with a job that you don't like. Stick with something you can see yourself doing and something that you truly want to do. You will do better in that given profession and the money will come.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #11
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Remember, university is not a place for you to gain a job skill. It is a place for you to further your capacity to think and a place to challenge your ability to adapt to new and different materials. A degree shows you have the capability to learn things fast. Tackling 5 courses at once is not an easy task. Employers admire this skill because as a freshman, there will be many things that will need to be taught to you. If you don't have the intellect, patience, and endurance to learn all of the on-job skills, you won't be suited for the job. Depending on the type of job you are in, the things learned in university might correspond minimally to the nature of the job. Nowadays, a degree is pretty standard for most jobs out there and depending on the type of job, some employers won't even look at you if you don't have a degree. That being said, university is also a great way to know people and to help you establish what you want to do in life. But if studying really isn't your thing, don't do it. If you think you have a passion for the trades that will last for 40 years +, then by all means go for it. But if you're undecided on that, I highly suggest you go for university. Unless you are paying tuition on your own, university won't be that big of a deal.

There is plenty of time for you to experiment. Just don't fool around and mess up opportunities that show up in your life. Take as many opportunities as you can in life, and things will turn out good for you. This is a quote that I live by.

"Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man.
But soon or late the man who wins,
Is the man who thinks he can."

Warren Buffet is not nearly as smart as albert einstein, but he took some chances and hit some dead ends, took up the opportunities that showed up in his life, and is now one of the richest men on the globe. His job is his passion, and thats why he lives in the same house in the central Dundee neighborhood of Omaha that he bought in 1958 for $31500. Go out there and experiment as much as you can. Once you find what you enjoy, go for it. Give yourself a good 6-7 years. If at that point you are still clueless, it means you have not searched hard enough. At that point, keep looking.

Personally, I have my own goals established, but that doesn't mean I'm entirely settled on it. All I know is, I'll go where life takes me.

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.

Last edited by instantneedles; 11-10-2011 at 10:07 PM.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: