REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   gas stove vs electric stove (https://www.revscene.net/forums/656767-gas-stove-vs-electric-stove.html)

ImportPsycho 11-02-2011 12:18 PM

gas stove vs electric stove

I'm looking for new place to live and i'm seeing some houses with gas stove, in Richmond.
I've never used gas stove, at least not in Canada.
Gas stove is better for cooking but I'm wondering if it's worth it.
I'm worried about extra hassles,
price fluctuation? higher home insurance rate? what else?
if you had a choice, gas or electric?
any other feedback are welcome

Supafly 11-02-2011 12:26 PM

we used to have an electric, then switched to gas.....foodwise..theres no diffrence i believe.

Gas ovens vs, Electric ovens.....huge diffrence.

see.lai 11-02-2011 12:45 PM

My parents always said that the gas stove makes food taste better. :denied:

It's probably to save money on electricity though, since it always takes forever to heat up. :troll:

Great68 11-02-2011 12:49 PM

I wish I could have a gas stovetop. Instant, constant, even heat. Electric sucks.

murd0c 11-02-2011 12:50 PM

Gas is the only way to go, as well if you have a power outage the gas stove will work as well ;)

Santofu 11-02-2011 12:51 PM

Does condos/apartments offer electric or gas stoves?

Great68 11-02-2011 12:54 PM

Depends on the condo, but usually only the high end condos get gas because there's way more cost to plumb gas than there is to wire electric.

unit 11-02-2011 01:10 PM

i have a ceramic stove, my gf has a gas stove.
i like the gas but its a bitch to clean the grates.
also it gets really hot and you have to be careful when touching handles, etc...

i think induction is the best if you have the proper cookware. its by far the most efficient and heats up the pan the fastest.

Manic! 11-02-2011 01:16 PM

Gas gives instant heat. Electric takes time to warm up but they have gotten a lot faster than the old coil ones.

Commercial gas ranges are very popular for home use but don't heat up as fast as gas ranges designed for the home. This comes from what I have heard and what I have seen using my sisters Jade is slower than my moms fisher paykel range.

Gumby 11-03-2011 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 7673648)
Gas is the only way to go, as well if you have a power outage the gas stove will work as well ;)

Only problem with that is that you can't turn on your hood fan! :p

unit 11-03-2011 09:12 AM

yeah... gonna say its not the best idea to cook during a power outage.

Santofu 11-03-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 7673655)
Depends on the condo, but usually only the high end condos get gas because there's way more cost to plumb gas than there is to wire electric.

High end condos such as in Downtown? Does Joyce or any condo in vancouver/burnaby have gas stoves?

BlackZRoadster 11-03-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santofu (Post 7674986)
High end condos such as in Downtown? Does Joyce or any condo in vancouver/burnaby have gas stoves?

i wouldnt even say high end, most new condos will have gas stoves.

Bonka 11-03-2011 02:18 PM

More and more "green" buildings are being constructed so those will be certainly equipped with electric stoves..

Matlock 11-03-2011 02:24 PM

I have had both and prefer gas just because it heats up right away and the heat goes away once you turn it off.

Nothing is worse than waiting half an hour for a pot of water to boil with an electric stove.

Culverin 11-03-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 7673684)
Commercial gas ranges are very popular for home use but don't heat up as fast as gas ranges designed for the home. This comes from what I have heard and what I have seen using my sisters Jade is slower than my moms fisher paykel range.

I think you mean the oven? The burners for pots and pans, that's instant on.
But the oven on a commercial unit has a lot more insulation, my commercial stove does take a while to come up to temp, but that might just be a comment on how old it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by see.lai (Post 7673643)
My parents always said that the gas stove makes food taste better. :denied:

As for tasting better. That's an issue of the heat the stove is capable of kicking out to caramelize the food. Your parents have probably experienced base line electric models vs a gas stove. Yes, your average gas stove will get hotter than your average electric stove. In cantonese, this is called "wok hei", it's why fried noodles and rice taste much better at a restaurant, because they have crazy hot wok burners.

I HATE, absolutely LOATH ceramic tops.
Unless you have a fancy one like a wolf, the surfaces they use just end up attracting gross splashes of water and just everything burns.

After that, I'd go with coil, it's tried and true, and the mess won't be nearly as bad.

Then gas. I have a gas now. I don't think I could settle for anything less. The heat is even and it gets very hot. I managed to find myself a commercial Wolf range, so the cleanup is easy. Commercial equipment is made to clean easier.

I want to try induction as I heard it's amazing, but I have yet to play around with one.