REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 05-09-2016, 08:55 PM   #251
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,413 Times in 915 Posts
Is there any devices that are able to tell you the paint mm thickness without costing a fortune.
Advertisement

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #252
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Is there any devices that are able to tell you the paint mm thickness without costing a fortune.
eBay seems to have a bunch of cheap paint thickness gauges. I've never used any of them so I don't know how accurate or reliable they are. I'd think the old adage of "you get what you pay for" may apply here but for $20-$30 maybe it's worth the gamble?
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:34 PM   #253
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impulseX View Post
Bumping an older topic, but any one know how good this one might be?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...MMI4SF6N&psc=1
I just got this and have used it a couple times. It's ok - still tinkering with the settings as the medium setting resulted in a mixture that was too watery so the foam just fell right off the car. Second time near max setting was more effective but still not as good as a foam cannon.

Going to order some car wash that's a bit more foamy to play with and see how it goes.

You also need to buy a quick connector from Home Depot as the connectors it comes with only work with Asian hoses. Cost about $13.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:05 PM   #254
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

anyone have any good recommendations as to a go to emergency kit to throw in the boot in case of a bird shit..

My car seems to be a magnet.

Last bombardment i got washed off 4 hours later as i was out and already etched the paint from the heat
About kkthind: [22-12, 22:55] ts14 hes so white that if he was a cop, he would beat ts14 for beinng surrey
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:24 PM   #255
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kross9 View Post
anyone have any good recommendations as to a go to emergency kit to throw in the boot in case of a bird shit..

My car seems to be a magnet.

Last bombardment i got washed off 4 hours later as i was out and already etched the paint from the heat

In my car I carry the following... A waterless wash prediluted (Waxedshine Envo Wash works great), A quick detailer to boost gloss at a show or meet (Waxedshine Envo QD) a handfull of microfiber towels (different qualities, pile height etc). I keep all of that in a bag I got from Waxedshine (super useful, worth every penny). With that id be able to remove any bugs or bird droppings safely and quickly. Pay Alex @ Everything Car Care a visit and drop my name. He'll help you put a good kit together for a good price to help you keep on top of the bird droppings.
JordanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:19 PM   #256
Need to Seek Professional Help

Hey all

I just started detailing as a side hustle. Any recommendations on how to clean engine covers and have the plastic look nice and fresh? I used an engine de-greaser and it made the plastic look old and dry.
dhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:53 AM   #257
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhari View Post
Hey all

I just started detailing as a side hustle. Any recommendations on how to clean engine covers and have the plastic look nice and fresh? I used an engine de-greaser and it made the plastic look old and dry.
I'd imagine using an APC to clean and then some protectant to treat it (like 303, or if you want something that's OTC, Armour All) would do the job. Engine degreaser would probably work too but seems a bit overkill if the cover is just dirty/dusty.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2016, 01:07 PM   #258
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Prepared myself for the Albertan winter , topped up several layers of Autoglym sealant + Carnauba wax on top of my Cquartz UK ceramic coating.

gn02156668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:32 AM   #259

I was thinking of restoring some headlights. It is really necessary to buy the kits or can I just buy the sandpaper and polish separately?
Old 09-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #260
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,413 Times in 915 Posts
sandpaper is better

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2016, 03:50 PM   #261
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gn02156668 View Post
Prepared myself for the Albertan winter , topped up several layers of Autoglym sealant + Carnauba wax on top of my Cquartz UK ceramic coating.

That's not gonna survive Fort Mac lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
I went to Saskatchewan once. 30min is all I need to know that I don't want to go back there.
koukimonst3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:50 AM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
sandpaper is better
Going to give it a go this weekend. I'm scared and excited!
Old 10-08-2016, 09:14 AM   #263
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Anyone here used synthetic clay towels, clay blocks or clay discs for DA polishers vs a traditional clay bar? So many mixed reviews online but im not sure cause theyre pretty expensive for what they are. Just tryna save time claying cars and get more use out of each time I clay.
chinese_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:55 AM   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinese_driver View Post
Anyone here used synthetic clay towels, clay blocks or clay discs for DA polishers vs a traditional clay bar? So many mixed reviews online but im not sure cause theyre pretty expensive for what they are. Just tryna save time claying cars and get more use out of each time I clay.
I haven't but will try out the clay towel. I think it should be more efficient just based on the surface area that is covered. I shall report back.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:15 PM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinese_driver View Post
The clay towels will cut claying time down dramatically but even the "mild" ones can be fairy aggressive and may require a light polish to remove mild scuffing. We tend to use clay bars when not polishing and clay towels to speed things up if I know I'll be polishing after.
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:02 PM   #266
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911fanatic View Post
The clay towels will cut claying time down dramatically but even the "mild" ones can be fairy aggressive and may require a light polish to remove mild scuffing. We tend to use clay bars when not polishing and clay towels to speed things up if I know I'll be polishing after.
Alright thats good to know sounds like just what I need...

Also picked up some Waxedshine WS1 compound for some scratch and swirl removal and im pretty satisfied with the results, no second polish, no sealant or wax...

chinese_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2017, 12:58 PM   #267
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Hello everyone from Alberta , Lee the Detailer is back !

Did a 1 stage polish on my 2016 rally red Mitsubishi RVR today due to the " courtesy wash " by dealership when I picked up the vehicle last year.

The weather is finally nice enough for me to work on the vehicle today.

As usual, a 2 buckets hand wash was performed, followed with clay clothing the paint in order to remove any embedded dirt. After that , I decided to use the CARPRO Essence which works as a 1 stage polish and primer to install Cquartz ceramic coating.

That way, i can just install the ceramic coating right on top of the Essence instead of wiping down the whole vehicle with IPA. According to CARPRO, Essence can be used as a standalone product and it has a durability of 9 months approximately. However, considering the Albertan weather here, I have installed Cquartz on top for a longer durability ( 2 years approximately)

*I did enjoy using Essence as it was really easy to use. However, it may not be able to remove severe swirls , in that case, I would use Meguiar 105 to correct the defected paint.

The vehicle tires' were then dressed and windows were polished as well. No job was done until the rims were protected with Dr. Beasley rim sealant and exhausted pipe was polished with Autoglym metal polish.

The end result speaks for itself as the paint is really shiny like a mirror.

Enjoy !

Last edited by gn02156668; 06-19-2017 at 01:37 PM.
gn02156668 is offline   Reply With Quote