REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Non Stick Fry pans (https://www.revscene.net/forums/656915-non-stick-fry-pans.html)

Manic! 11-04-2011 12:34 AM

Non Stick Fry pans

Have had a non stick starfrit fry pan for close to 10 years and it worked great but now it's starting to go and the new starfrit pans don't look as good. Need a replacement, something with a thick bottom that won't warp. What does RS suggest? I'm looking at some Calpalon.

Calphalon Contemporary Nonstick 10 & 12-in. Skillet Set with Lids - Calphalon Contemporary Nonstick 10 & 12-in. Skillet Set with Lids | cutleryandmore.com

cho 11-04-2011 12:43 AM

gas or electric stove?

Culverin 11-04-2011 01:19 AM

Get a commercial non-stick pan.

Either dunlevy or Genesis or Bargreen would have them on stock.
They are about $25-30 each. I'll never go back to using a normal retail non-stick pan ever again.

6793026 11-04-2011 11:30 AM

Calpalon is great, i've been using it over at my gf's house. they are great. for starfrit shit. sorry i don't use those. i knwo i'm cheap, but i use t-fal. i use it daily and rape the shit out of it for say 2 - 3 yrs, then i spend another 25 dollars and get a new one from superstore.

StealthFighter 11-04-2011 12:01 PM

You can get t-fal ones from costco when they go on sale.

unit 11-04-2011 12:27 PM

i have a calphalon i got from the seattle premium outlets.
i never use metal utensils on it and the finish is still like new.

murd0c 11-04-2011 12:33 PM

I have two t-fal ones and a calphalon and both are really good. I like the t-fal the most tho

willystyle 11-04-2011 04:41 PM

How do your nonstick pans last this long? Mine lasts for a year tops, then the non-stick coating goes away.

murd0c 11-04-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 7676722)
How do your nonstick pans last this long? Mine lasts for a year tops, then the non-stick coating goes away.

don't you metal on it and only hand wash. I always clean it right away and Ive had mine for a couple years. It's all about taking care of your pots of pans if you let them sink dirty in the sink or use metal spatulas of course it won't last long

willystyle 11-04-2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 7676741)
don't you metal on it and only hand wash. I always clean it right away and Ive had mine for a couple years. It's all about taking care of your pots of pans if you let them sink dirty in the sink or use metal spatulas of course it won't last long

I only use wooden or silicone utensils, and I hand wash every time. Yet the non-stick coating never lasts.

SkinnyPupp 11-04-2011 07:10 PM

My wife is scared to use a non-non-stick pan. Although we hardly fry any more, our non-stick is dead so it has become a "stick" pan :\

How about those ceramic pans I see everywhere? Just a stupid gimmick?

Culverin 11-04-2011 07:24 PM

What do you mean too scared? Also without searing, what kind of things are you cooking?
My friend has a ceramic coated pan, thus far, it seems a bit more durable. It has non-stick properties, but doesn't seem quite as good as the black teflon ones.

Am I the only one here that uses a commercial-grade non-stick?
:pokerface:

SkinnyPupp 11-04-2011 07:39 PM

We grill almost everything now... Cooking dinner is so easy, healthy, and tasty now, just buy a pound of any meat, buy a bunch of veggies, throw it on the grill, done! Big, satiating, healthy dinners with no sugar or starch.

But sometimes we like to fry stuff, but the teflon coating is gone from our pan. She's scared of getting a non non stick pan, like a normal stainless pan, because she's worried that everything will stick to it.

Araaadi 11-04-2011 07:45 PM

dont buy a non stick coated one. best bet is it to buy one infused with the non stick. its a thicker heavier pan, but it will last a long time. if you big into a cookware sets. grab the jamie oliver non stick set by t-fal
Posted via RS Mobile

Culverin 11-04-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7676930)
She's scared of getting a non non stick pan, like a normal stainless pan, because she's worried that everything will stick to it.

If you're not searing things in your pan, then, yes there is a risk to it sticking.
Pretty much, if you're putting stuff in a cold pan, it will stick. Turn up the heat, wait a bit, then you'll be golden.

I keep thinking that you would be doing chinese stirfry style, so my advice is kind of geared towards doing the meat. If things do stick, just deglaze with a bit of cooking wine. It's dirt cheap here in vancouver (3 bucks a bottle), should be even cheaper in HK. Flavor-wise, I can't even cook stirfy without it.