REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Toyota / Lexus Tech Resources

Toyota / Lexus Tech Resources All Toyota & Lexus Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 11-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
RS controls my life!

IS300 Sticky brake calipers?

I'm starting to notice that my car is pulling to the right from time to time. It happens quite sporadically and wouldn't matter if the car was at running temp or cold. The problem would appear or worsen while driving on bumpier roads such as some parts of Kingsway or in Gastown or even through an intersection. The steering wheel would also tug noticeably to the right under braking as well.

Sticky caliper or could it be something else?
Advertisement
jtrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
I don't think it's necessarily a sticky brake caliper although I would not rule that out. Based on the symptoms you described, it sounds more like you have some tired suspension items, be it tie rods, control arm bushings, ball joints and what have you. My suggestion is to have it checked out, perform the necessary repairs and have the car re-aligned. You won't be able to tell without getting underneath to check things out. Good luck.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
is your car lowered? it could be "bump steer" which is perfectly normal if it is lowered.

It would be easy to rule out sticky brake caliper by jacking up your cars front and see if your front wheels spin freely?
Old 11-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

hey johnny...

that car had a full caliper service when the brakes were done, which wasn't long ago... if you'd like, i can check your calipers by retracting them and re-servicing them to re-assure you that the brakes are fine...

if it's an alignment issue, i suggest you take it to pacific alignment and frame on clark drive, near your work... they're really good and recently aligned my IS300 after i put konis into it... they can tell you if anything suspension related is worn/damaged etc...
fng@regencyauto.com
narfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
is your car lowered? it could be "bump steer" which is perfectly normal if it is lowered.

It would be easy to rule out sticky brake caliper by jacking up your cars front and see if your front wheels spin freely?
Not lowered. That may or may not work, as it isn't constantly sticking.

I do see quite a few search results relating to this matter though. I guess its not so uncommon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narfy View Post
hey johnny...

that car had a full caliper service when the brakes were done, which wasn't long ago... if you'd like, i can check your calipers by retracting them and re-servicing them to re-assure you that the brakes are fine...

if it's an alignment issue, i suggest you take it to pacific alignment and frame on clark drive, near your work... they're really good and recently aligned my IS300 after i put konis into it... they can tell you if anything suspension related is worn/damaged etc...
Yeah, i remembered that. That's why I thought it was odd. I'll have it brought in sometime as I need a set of new tires anyways. Thanks for the recommendation. I suspect that it could possibly be suspension related, if not the caliper.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Just curious but did this ever get resolved? If so, what was the culprit?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Just curious but did this ever get resolved? If so, what was the culprit?
The car was looked at when I brought it into the dealership. Since I was getting my winter tires+rims mounted anyways. narfy had a go with it before they took the stock rims off and didn't find anything troubling about it. They retracted the calipers to see if that would help.

Everything seems fine so far with the winter tires on.