REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   Starting a career at age 30 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/658084-starting-career-age-30-a.html)

tiger_handheld 11-21-2011 01:20 PM

Starting a career at age 30

Is it normal this day in age for people to start a career at age 30? By career I mean a professional career with a certification/designation (ie. doctor/lawyer/accountant etc..)

This would also delay getting married , having kids , etc .. Some people I know started their "lives" around 27/28.

Looking for your thoughts. If it matters I'm 24 almost 25.

Phil@rise 11-21-2011 01:28 PM

The sooner you get on it, the sooner you get on with it. My girlfriend is 29 and finishin up her bachelors of sumthin (yeah laugh I cant remember) and then goin to law school.

adambomb 11-21-2011 01:39 PM

I just did a complete career switch 2 years ago because I hated the field I was in. I'm back in school with better focus than I had in my early 20's and pursuing a degree in the health field which I hope will lead to a more fulfillng career.

I turned 31 last month. :alone:

!Yaminashi 11-21-2011 02:50 PM

I doubt people choose to start a career at 30, finding a job in your field isnt exactly easy unless you know someone. The hardest part is getting your foot in the door, and imo THAT is what takes the longest (besides the obvious x years amount of schooling)

FishTaco 11-21-2011 03:18 PM

I am 26 years old. I havent worked for just over a year after releasing from the Army. I was infantry, and that job doesnt give you much options for normal civillian life. I am seriously considering moving to Thailand or Vietnam to teach english for the cheap cost of living, warm climate, and selection of cars. Only thing holding me back is my gf. She still has a couple years of college left. I also have a handicapped chihuahua that depends on me haha. I dont share the "american dream" that most people have of going to school, buying a house, getting married, having kids, minivan, and a dog. I am perfectly fine with floating around and living in interesting places with someone i love. Not for everyone but it makes me happy =)

mas604 11-21-2011 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 7697547)
Is it normal this day in age for people to start a career at age 30? By career I mean a professional career with a certification/designation (ie. doctor/lawyer/accountant etc..)

This would also delay getting married , having kids , etc .. Some people I know started their "lives" around 27/28.

Looking for your thoughts. If it matters I'm 24 almost 25.

I think it's fairly common, I've seen many people returning to school around mid-twenties simply because they hated what they've studied during their time at university.

Also, I've seen some returning to school for more further education as well, so both scenarios will mean they'll start they their careers later.

BTW what is it that your studying?