REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 11-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

need help basement flooded

whenever we do the laundry our sink backs up in the basement and today it overflowed
anyone know where i can rent the vacuum that sucks up water from the carpet?
and that huge industrial size fan/turbine
should i be worried about the water seeping into the drywall?
quite a bit of water managed to get onto the floor
any help would be appreciated
thanks
Advertisement
Honyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I would recommend just going and buying a wet/dry vac. I think mine was $50ish dollars at Depot. It's one of those things that if it dies, it's cheap enough to replace.

Take the paper filter out, and you should be able to get a majority of the water out of the carpet.

Water is going to seep into the drywall. You aren't dealing with an on-going or undiscovered leak, so its not a huge amount of water. Get that carpet dry around the edge as soon as possible.

It's your house, so you want to make sure you get as much moisture out. The fans are for rent at any of the equipment rental places.

Then you need to get that drain augered out. The lint and soap are horrible on drains. We have the same problem with the laundry at our main building. It does the same thing..starts backing up a little, then a llittle more and then crap...didn't clear it out in time. Thankfully we have a floor drain but its still a huge mess. The last time I managed to clean the blockage out, but it was 25' down the line. I was at the last foot with the hand auger. A power auger will do a better job of really clearing the line out, and keeping the problem from re-forming right away. The lint starts grabbing more lint, and being cemented with soap and forms a slimy little mess.

After that, pour a little drano down the drain once a month, just to clear out that soap and lint to keep it from happening again. Much smaller expense than what a plumber charges to do it.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2011, 11:40 PM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

also don't use a use a heat lamp to dry things. heat + bacteria = more bacteria.

if you want the moisture out you can rent a dehumidifier at an equipment rental place. ppl there are usually pretty helpful. i think when i had to do it, it was 50 or 75 dollars.
Farfetched is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

thanks
tmr im gonna head to A&B when they open to rent a rug cleaner, dehumidifier and a turbo dryer.
turns out my basement's been flooded before but i was just too young to remember it.
Honyoung is offline   Reply With Quote