REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 11-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

grand canyon tour bus company

looking to go on one of those $80 grand canyon bus tours to the south rim. The kind where they drive you up, you get some lunch/snack, it's a big bus with air conditioning and it takes ~14 hours.

i've researched and shitloads of companies seem to offer this same tour package. Anyone help me with:

1. is there a particular company/tour you went with that was good? Looking for a reputable company i guess that won't screw me over

2. is it true that you should book ahead online to get the good discounted price? Or is that bullshit and i can find that same price when i get there?

any advice would be appreciated!
Advertisement
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Just a suggestion
I rented a car for 60 bucks and drove there myself
I find it a lot more relaxing than going on a rushed tour for 14 hours
But i went to the west rim which is a 2 - 3 hour drive from the strip. Still breathtaking view nonetheless, but there is some good section of unpaved desert road you need to drive through. The rental companies are aware of this, and most are okay with it.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

what months did you go? I am going in mid-december and heard that it snows up there and sometimes they get storms. Most things i've read online talking specifically about the sout hrim also recommend staying at extra night there, since it's actually a 5 hour drive to the south rim, as opposed to west, and we're wanting to do south rim
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604nguyen View Post
i went to the west rim which is a 2 - 3 hour drive from the strip.
It was a 4 - 5 hours drive to West Rim from The Strip.
I did it in Sep. 2009 with my relative (total 5 pepole)
Rent a car for $200 for a day.
Then when we arrive, we paid around $40/person to take their 10 mins West Rim tour bus to Grand Canyon.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
what months did you go? I am going in mid-december and heard that it snows up there and sometimes they get storms. Most things i've read online talking specifically about the sout hrim also recommend staying at extra night there, since it's actually a 5 hour drive to the south rim, as opposed to west, and we're wanting to do south rim

I went just a few months ago in August. Wanted to do the south rim if I had more time in Vegas, but it was a little too far for me.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender Unit View Post
It was a 4 - 5 hours drive to West Rim from The Strip.
I did it in Sep. 2009 with my relative (total 5 pepole)
Rent a car for $200 for a day.
Then when we arrive, we paid around $40/person to take their 10 mins West Rim tour bus to Grand Canyon.

4-5 hours if you drive like a granny

but yeah, booking a car ahead of time from the airport will save you a ridiculous amount of money, even for 60 bucks I felt ripped off, could have got the Chevy Aveo for $30/day but they were all taken out. Make sure you check out promo codes online first too.

What did you rent for $200/day? An Escalade?
Old 11-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,187 Times in 2,411 Posts
lol
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback