REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 12-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Hydronic or Electric Radiant Heat

This would be for a new home build. What's the trend for radiant heating? While hydronic does sound better, it does have a higher cost. Also I was told that if there were problems with the pipes, it would be a serious headache to fix.
Advertisement
Farfetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
I don't get it

Go electrical as u can consume power where needed and only heat floored where u actually are spending most time in. Becomes way more practical with kids and obviously billing. Costs me 250 a month for hydro min (4bdr townhome) ffs wish I had electrical heaters
Posted via RS Mobile
bloodline129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,830 Times in 233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline129 View Post
Go electrical as u can consume power where needed and only heat floored where u actually are spending most time in. Becomes way more practical with kids and obviously billing.
Posted via RS Mobile

good thing for OP, this is a new build and he can design zones for each room or how ever he would like.
unlike what your talking about, a zone for each floor. as a plumber i would do hydronic in floor heating, ( boiler/storage tank). btw its also common in new builds for homeowners to contract out the plumbing and heating separately ( as a lot of plumbing co are hacks and your better off just going with a plumbing co specialized in radiant heating
nsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Radiant heating all the way. It might seem like a higher cost to install than say forced air or electric baseboard. But in the long run, its the most comfortable heating system and if its done right, all the piping is pretty much maintenance free.

All the heating pipes are plastic and run in slabs, just gonna maintain your boiler and storage tank and or heat exchanger.

If you requires more in depth info, just pm me
-"--"-
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

yes, if there's ever a problem with the pipes, there's going ot be huge headache BUT if it is done right, the pipes themselves should not have any problems for a LONG time.
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I've had Radiant floor heating zoned for each room and hated it. I currently have radiant baseboards only split into 3 zones (1 per floor) and I hate those to. I'm not sure what would make me happy but I really disliked the radiant floor heating. It was either not enough heat or two much and with radiant it takes so damm long for it heat up if you have the heat down. The one spot it was nice was in the bathroom, nothing like stepping out of the shower on to a warm tile floor. On my first place with the in floor heating I also had my boiler go early like 6 years old which probably soured me $$$$.

Also if you want to add central air again $$$$ because you don't have ducts running through your house.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote