REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #19776
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Then again, if you're slamming weights for anything under 3 plates, it looks pretty stupid
Advertisement
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #19777
Meow

No egos hurt here, I am very open to opinions, I've been stepping up to the weight and going for 3 x 5 now. Any recommendations of a good work out plan? My weight goal is 195.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #19778
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araaadi View Post
No egos hurt here, I am very open to opinions, I've been stepping up to the weight and going for 3 x 5 now. Any recommendations of a good work out plan? My weight goal is 195.
Could you have asked a more Vague question......

Berz out.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #19779
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasani604 View Post
I have a question for you gurus.

For deadlifts, when you bring the bar back down, do you guys try to control it to the point where it doesn't "bang or crash" (as in let it down as slow as possible to make as little noise as possible)?

I ask because for the first time, someone in the gym came up to me and told me it was annoying. I usually let it down in a controlled manner, but it does make sound when it touches the floor because that's physics. After the guy told me he was annoyed, he went to talk to the other guy doing deadlifts. I can't tell if he's just being stingy or if we were both doing it wrong.
If he's not the weight room attendant, then just ignore him and continue on with the workout. I've had that said to me for god knows how many times lol, and tbh, there's not much you can really do for deadlifts. It's an anti-gravity pulling movement which means it will be that much harder to control...

As long as you're not purposely slamming the plates onto the ground to create more noise, having the weights kinda clash on the ground is inevitable if you're doing a weight that is appropriate for you(meaning its a weight that is challenging enough for you). If you don't have that sound, you know you're not pushing yourself hard enough. It all depends on the type of workout you're doing too. If you're going for a hypertrophy rep scheme, and are going on more of the high rep scheme and lower weight, then you should be better able to control the clashing, but if you're lifting heavy, its inevitable.

Just take a look at powerlifter/bodybuilder record breaker, tuan tran.

@1:33

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #19780
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
I slam the weight when I do clean pulls

me making a little noise is better than breaking my back because your sensitive ears couldn't take a little banging

Put some mats down underneath where the bar touches the ground. Any noise after that is gonna happen no matter what, tell them to deal with it
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #19781
I STILL don't get it

Quote:

For deadlifts, when you bring the bar back down, do you guys try to control it to the point where it doesn't "bang or crash" (as in let it down as slow as possible to make as little noise as possible)?

I ask because for the first time, someone in the gym came up to me and told me it was annoying. I usually let it down in a controlled manner, but it does make sound when it touches the floor because that's physics. After the guy told me he was annoyed, he went to talk to the other guy doing deadlifts. I can't tell if he's just being stingy or if we were both doing it wrong.
just start puking all over him
truth is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #19782
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
lol luder, when you take away the bodyfat values, all the other values are jaw droppers 6'6 300 lb
loool thanks i guess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post

@Luder - 6'6, 300lbs? Strong linebacker potential lol
if i was the physical type of guy, perhaps :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
Then again, if you're slamming weights for anything under 3 plates, it looks pretty stupid
stfu

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth View Post
just start puking all over him
thanks for making me feel sick

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #19783
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araaadi View Post
bench, squat, deadlift, clean + jerk.

everything else is secondary
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #19784
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 3,267 Times in 547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
bench, squat, deadlift, clean + jerk.

everything else is secondary
You forgot military/overhead press
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #19785
Throw yo paws in da air!

give stronglift a try araaadi. Worked great for me and if you're trying to cut back on weight, i dont think strength training is best idea aint it ? cus you'll be gaining muscle/fat (i did lol) and i think you want to cut back on the weight ?

1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
Old 07-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #19786
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:

Which gym is this?

I used to workout at Fitness World in Richmond, and this one white guy was super sensitive over noise. He came up to me on a few occasions complaining about me slamming the weight and hurting his ears when I was DL'ing. It's not like I was dropping the bar after every rep. Even if I did touch and go, the plates clanging on the bar make noise.

It was a 40 year-old tool who wears short shorts, a beater, and some preppy Zach Morris haircut from the 90s.

The worst part is, I would've been happy to try to work things out with him, except the guy came up to me AND ONLY ME out of everyone in the gym. Out of everyone who drops their weights, he decided to single me out.

BTW, I can't remember where I read it, but I heard that it's the 2nd half of the DL motion, where the weight comes back down, is where you're most at risk for injury if done incorrectly. It's not a good idea to try to control it, better just to let the weight come down naturally.

Anyway, I ditched that stupid gym. Best workout decision of my life.

Last edited by nns; 07-27-2012 at 05:31 PM.
nns is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #19787
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:

this is like going to a construction site and complaining its too loud. Lifting heavy shit and putting it down is gonna make noise. Should have told him where the Yoga studio is. Next time just give him 2$ and tell him to go buy ear plugs or stay home where its quiet.
deep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #19788

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
@nns is it that guy who randomly laughed during his workouts too?
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #19789
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
I don't remember him doing that. He was tall. About 6'2" I'd say, and tan. About 200 lbs I'd wager, maybe more.

Yea, seriously, that guy was uncompromising. He acutally bitched to his buddy, and then that guy came over and decided to complain. His buddy is like "I do more weight than that and I don't make that much noise blah blah". Like wtf, I'm not trying to make noise, it just happens. He'd bitch at me, go back to whatever the hell he was doing, and in the background there would be people chucking their DBs after flat bench - not a word was said to them. Jesus. It's one of those times where you think of the best things to say....but only during the drive home.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #19790
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
Mind you the phaggot calling only works if your jacked
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #19791

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
strykn get this shirt

Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #19792
The Brown Reason

^ where they sell bra?
Old 07-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #19793
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
Mind you the phaggot calling only works if your jacked
well if you were jacked, they wouldn't approach you in the first place. And this only works if you're strykn.

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #19794
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the responses.

I could try the mats but they're usually being used by people stretching. This might cause those people to complain about taking up mats

If he complains to me again even with mats, I'll use the combined consensus which is to stare at him, call him a phaggot (or not say anything), and continue lifting
Slamming barbells is fine. Slamming dumbbells is what annoys me. But even then, no need to say anything. If someone wants to be annoying, that's their thing, leave them be
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #19795
The Brown Reason

So a few pages ago I said I deadlift 405 ... realize now that was a lie ..

so I loaded up the bar with 405 today and repped it raw, just chalk First time ever, feels damn good man. Dropped the weight and a board on the wall fell down LOL
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #19796
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
people wanted a front pic, will give em a front pic

hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #19797
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

vascular lats.

BlAh~
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #19798
Throw yo paws in da air!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal0g0dv2 View Post
people wanted a front pic, will give em a front pic

1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #19799
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
Which gym is this?

I used to workout at Fitness World in Richmond, and this one white guy was super sensitive over noise. He came up to me on a few occasions complaining about me slamming the weight and hurting his ears when I was DL'ing. It's not like I was dropping the bar after every rep. Even if I did touch and go, the plates clanging on the bar make noise.

It was a 40 year-old tool who wears short shorts, a beater, and some preppy Zach Morris haircut from the 90s.

The worst part is, I would've been happy to try to work things out with him, except the guy came up to me AND ONLY ME out of everyone in the gym. Out of everyone who drops their weights, he decided to single me out.

BTW, I can't remember where I read it, but I heard that it's the 2nd half of the DL motion, where the weight comes back down, is where you're most at risk for injury if done incorrectly. It's not a good idea to try to control it, better just to let the weight come down naturally.

Anyway, I ditched that stupid gym. Best workout decision of my life.
Dunbar Community Centre. The guy who complained to me is around the same age as the guy you had an issue with (most likely not the same guy based on your description of him). My guy only does cardio and random stretches on mats, yet at the same time talks loudly to his friends (I'm assuming they're his friends). It really ticks me off, but I'll just tell him what's up the next time he complains.
dasani604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:08 AM   #19800
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
^ where they sell bra?
twinmuscleworkout just released them

is there a way to target dif. areas of your traps, with dif. shrug variations/trap exercises? or must you work it as a whole and it will grow all together? me n my friends traps r dif mine are taller n bigger closer to my ears (from deadlifting) & his are more built in the area closer/above the shoulder from a front view, this is the area im trying to target, any1 have some insight on this?
cc604 is offline   Reply With Quote