REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 11:28 PM   #22001
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: richmond
Posts: 2,517
Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phozy View Post
Just heard another friend (who doesn't lift btw) say deadlifts are bad and dangerous.



get so annoyed when people who don't lift say shit like that.

/endrant
I kinda agree with him that they are dangerous (when done incorrectly). I tweaked my back pretty bad doing a lazy (lighter weight DL) form DL abd swore them off. However, after 2 months of no DL'ing, I'm like fuck this shit, and do them really careful. They are too awesome of an excersize to not do.

But ya.. I hate people that talk out of their ass. I've got a buddy whose tried losing weight for years, now. Spent $100's of dollars on pills, 'special shots' etc, eats nothing but salads, and his weight fluctuates, down 10 pounds, up 20, etc.

In the past 3 years I've lost about 95 pounds. I weighed 60 pounds more than him at my biggest, and now weigh about 20 pounds lighter approx. I tell him to eat lots and lift hard (the best advice I've gotten off this thread), and his reply is 'I'll get huge'.

Just today, actually, I had enough and "I'm like dude, stop that shit and just start lifting and eat good food". Ofcourse, he won't listen lol.

Ah well. I do me, he does him
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
vafanculo is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2012, 11:36 PM   #22002
iceboy & saucywoman are my parents!
 
ts14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ricemond
Posts: 1,384
Thanked 1,766 Times in 445 Posts
i agree, i hurt my lower back in January stiff legging a dead lift....

but with proper form and weight, injuries can be prevented !!

i still see guys loading plates and squatting about 40% of the way down .....
__________________
[23-07, 02:53] LSF22 the guy who i just saw had like 5 or 6 cars on his lawn needs a ride

[07-10, 15:42] nabs tbails14 = the legend continues

[27-10, 19:44] slickrick (to ts14) NO NOT THE EXHAUST

[07-10, 22:42] Ri2 If I had a real one I'd fap til it turns blue probably

[05-01, 16:24] Geoc ts you're a never ending inspiration for the inner buddy guy in all of us
ts14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:59 PM   #22003
RS controls my life!
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 734
Thanked 135 Times in 51 Posts
Thought I'd share this with you guys, since I spend a lot of time trolling this thread for tips

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's halloween costume:

dton13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #22004
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: richmond
Posts: 2,517
Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dton13 View Post
Thought I'd share this with you guys, since I spend a lot of time trolling this thread for tips

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's halloween costume:

They better cast him for the next Hulk movie
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #22005
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
dhari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 978
Thanked 518 Times in 180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc95 View Post
fucked up my smolov today

week 2 / day 6
supposed to add +10lbs from the previous week and do 7x5 bench
did all 7 sets then realized it was too easy and that i forgot to add the 10 ffffffff
Did my week 1, day 4. 10x3 of 215lbs. This is some hectic stuff man. My wrist hurts now... no fapping for me today
dhari is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #22006
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
3klipze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: nowhere
Posts: 1,224
Thanked 782 Times in 154 Posts
Wait for it....

edit: imbed didn't work
__________________
--__--__--__--
RS B/S Feedback

Last edited by 3klipze; 11-01-2012 at 12:41 PM.
3klipze is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #22007
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 12,489
Thanked 2,090 Times in 773 Posts
Holy fuck. Vitamin D isn't a fucking joke. Felt super depressed starting Friday. Felt like offing myself Monday. Called in Tuesday saw my psych and she recommended I get a sunlamp. Begin drinking my fish oil again and just 1 session under the lamp and I feel fucking awesome again. Got scared too that I would give up at the gym.
Posted via RS Mobile
Meowjin is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #22008
RS Operative (G)
 
hal0g0dv2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: GYM
Posts: 12,721
Thanked 4,359 Times in 1,488 Posts
yeah man i keep telling everyone since like 4 years ago
vit d is the best thing you can take
__________________
╔╦╦╦═╦╗╔═╦═╦══╦═╗
║║║║╩╣╚╣═╣║║║║║╩╣
╚══╩═╩═╩═╩═╩╩╩╩═╝

It's not the steroids that makes the champion but it's hard training .. dedication, the diet and sacrifice and genetics that person has.. what makes the champion.
hal0g0dv2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #22009
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 12,489
Thanked 2,090 Times in 773 Posts
Yeah man. Anyone have some studies on vitamin d and depression?
Posted via RS Mobile
Meowjin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #22010
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
3klipze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: nowhere
Posts: 1,224
Thanked 782 Times in 154 Posts
Thought i'd post it here. Since you guys were talking about eating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbg1...&feature=g-u-u
__________________
--__--__--__--
RS B/S Feedback
3klipze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #22011
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: n zone
Posts: 2,601
Thanked 1,801 Times in 572 Posts
IF seems more like a bodybuilding thing, not sure how legit it is for powerlifting/athletic training
Sid Vicious is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #22012
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,047
Thanked 2,330 Times in 555 Posts
anyone ever do short distance sprints for track?
J.C is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #22013
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: n zone
Posts: 2,601
Thanked 1,801 Times in 572 Posts
^^
check out my post a coupla pages back i got a great graph

used to run the 100m in hs and club, probably gonna do some meets once i have more time
Sid Vicious is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #22014
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,047
Thanked 2,330 Times in 555 Posts
thinking about joining the track team in the spring and doing short distance runs

i think lifting heavy and sprints go well together
J.C is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #22015
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Excelsis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lala land
Posts: 2,783
Thanked 3,493 Times in 687 Posts
Anyone here do box squats?
Posted via RS Mobile
Excelsis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #22016
I am Hook'd on RS
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: vancouver
Posts: 52
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey guys I want to create a good split routine, and you are all going to help me. I am still a novice and was doing SS but then I have naturally big legs because I used to eat a lot of junk food and they all went to my thighs. My upper body seems a little bit weaker then my legs because it doesn't have as much fat. I now want to try a split and see where it gets me. No doubt, SS is the shit and helped a lot with strength gains, but I really want to try a split. Anyways here is what I have came up with so far.


A: Chest/triceps

Bench press 5x5
Lying Tricep Extensions(Not skullcrushers) 3x8
Incline bench press 3x8
Dips 3x8
Chest flys or tricep pulldowns?


B: Legs/Shoulders

Squats 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Calf Raises?
??????
??????

C: Biceps/Back
Barbell Rows 5x5
Chin ups/pull ups 3x8
Barbell Curls 3x8
Deadlift 1x5
Seated Row 3x8

Any thoughts and inputs guys? What should I add that are the best exercises for the following day?
harrywang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #22017
Big Drama Show
 
jayare604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Goodboy Nation
Posts: 5,726
Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha v2 View Post
Anyone here do box squats?
Posted via RS Mobile
Yes.

I used to do track in elementary school, wish I could do it again.
Posted via RS Mobile
jayare604 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #22018
iceboy & saucywoman are my parents!
 
ts14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ricemond
Posts: 1,384
Thanked 1,766 Times in 445 Posts
lengthy workout today

squats : 175 5x3 , ass to the ground
seated military press : 135 5x3, bar to the chest
bent over barbell rows : 185 5x3, bar to the chest
weighted pull ups : bodyweight + 45lbs plate 5x3, all the way down and up

then i did some random ab workouts




loving the change to full range of motion
__________________
[23-07, 02:53] LSF22 the guy who i just saw had like 5 or 6 cars on his lawn needs a ride

[07-10, 15:42] nabs tbails14 = the legend continues

[27-10, 19:44] slickrick (to ts14) NO NOT THE EXHAUST

[07-10, 22:42] Ri2 If I had a real one I'd fap til it turns blue probably

[05-01, 16:24] Geoc ts you're a never ending inspiration for the inner buddy guy in all of us
ts14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #22019
Treasure Chest MOD
 
instantneedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,795
Thanked 1,486 Times in 647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrywang View Post
Hey guys I want to create a good split routine, and you are all going to help me. I am still a novice and was doing SS but then I have naturally big legs because I used to eat a lot of junk food and they all went to my thighs. My upper body seems a little bit weaker then my legs because it doesn't have as much fat. I now want to try a split and see where it gets me. No doubt, SS is the shit and helped a lot with strength gains, but I really want to try a split. Anyways here is what I have came up with so far.


A: Chest/triceps

Bench press 5x5
Lying Tricep Extensions(Not skullcrushers) 3x8
Incline bench press 3x8
Dips 3x8
Chest flys or tricep pulldowns?


B: Legs/Shoulders

Squats 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Calf Raises?
??????
??????

C: Biceps/Back
Barbell Rows 5x5
Chin ups/pull ups 3x8
Barbell Curls 3x8
Deadlift 1x5
Seated Row 3x8

Any thoughts and inputs guys? What should I add that are the best exercises for the following day?
Walking lunges (alternate long steps with short steps) and some leg press on leg day.

If you're doing 5 sets of barbell rows, theres really no point in adding the extra 3 sets of seated rows unless you are really keen on going to failure. But I remember a while ago about you posting about making strength gains, so I wouldnt go into hypertrophy/burnout type workout until youve made some significant gains in strength.

Like what was already mentioned, throw in a sprint/plyometric day to help with explosivenss and weight loss.
Posted via RS Mobile
instantneedles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #22020
I am Hook'd on RS
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: vancouver
Posts: 52
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
Walking lunges (alternate long steps with short steps) and some leg press on leg day.

If you're doing 5 sets of barbell rows, theres really no point in adding the extra 3 sets of seated rows unless you are really keen on going to failure. But I remember a while ago about you posting about making strength gains, so I wouldnt go into hypertrophy/burnout type workout until youve made some significant gains in strength.

Like what was already mentioned, throw in a sprint/plyometric day to help with explosivenss and weight loss.
Posted via RS Mobile
That is true, yeah I am still a noobie in SS, its just that I feel my upper body needs more work, thanks for the input though I will probably just keep doing SS until after december. I should have good gains by then and will probably be cutting to so then I will move into the split, is this a good idea? Yeah I probably won't add seated cable rows, should I add db hammer curls over them instead?

Why leg presses? I would think squats would be a good enough workout for the legs already no?
harrywang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #22021
I subscribe to Revscene
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 1,983
Thanked 690 Times in 316 Posts
No offense Harrywang, but didn't you say you've only been doing SS for 2 months.

That's not going to cut it. Already, you want to switch to a split? Remember, if you are stalling in SS, then fit in some variations. Speed work or focusing on the negative, et cetera. And since your upper is lacking, fit in more sets of bench/OH presses then.

I wouldn't switch programs so fast IMO. Especially when the SS has been proven to work if you really put in the effort, and really lays a strong foundation for the split.

Read Skinnypup's sticky.


EDIT: Actually, when going in the past, you've only been doing SS for 6 weeks now. Heck, you might not even be doing some of the compounds correctly, exercising most of the muscles.

I know from my past, I was consistently learning techniques and variations on how to use more muscles during my compound lifting. I.E. Deadlifting, I didn't fully utilize my lats until months after learning it.

Compound lifting is a continuous learning exercise. And knowing how to practice good form will save you when you go to the breaking point.

Last edited by subordinate; 11-01-2012 at 08:58 PM.
subordinate is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #22022
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS
 
Stealthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mars
Posts: 1,503
Thanked 3,263 Times in 545 Posts
Only do squats and calve raises for legs crew checking in.

Legs arent difficult to build with SS. Alternating back squats and front squats and i guarantee you will build treetrunks.

And Sid, IF is amazing for powerlifting! Having a meal with plenty of fats and carbs the night before lifting is key for energy the following day.
Posted via RS Mobile
Stealthy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #22023
Treasure Chest MOD
 
instantneedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,795
Thanked 1,486 Times in 647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrywang View Post
That is true, yeah I am still a noobie in SS, its just that I feel my upper body needs more work, thanks for the input though I will probably just keep doing SS until after december. I should have good gains by then and will probably be cutting to so then I will move into the split, is this a good idea? Yeah I probably won't add seated cable rows, should I add db hammer curls over them instead?

Why leg presses? I would think squats would be a good enough workout for the legs already no?
Yep just stick with the SS, and dont forget to add in those plyometric days.

Also, you might think you have stronger legs, but stockier and thicker legs does not equate to you being stronger. Your stabilizers, certain muscle groups, probably havent been neurally recruited and used to a higher intensity for a long time so plyos will help with that.
Posted via RS Mobile
instantneedles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #22024
I am Hook'd on RS
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: vancouver
Posts: 52
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
No offense Harrywang, but didn't you say you've only been doing SS for 2 months.

That's not going to cut it. Already, you want to switch to a split? Remember, if you are stalling in SS, then fit in some variations. Speed work or focusing on the negative, et cetera. And since your upper is lacking, fit in more sets of bench/OH presses then.

I wouldn't switch programs so fast IMO. Especially when the SS has been proven to work if you really put in the effort, and really lays a strong foundation for the split.

Read Skinnypup's sticky.


EDIT: Actually, when going in the past, you've only been doing SS for 6 weeks now. Heck, you might not even be doing some of the compounds correctly, exercising most of the muscles.

I know from my past, I was consistently learning techniques and variations on how to use more muscles during my compound lifting. I.E. Deadlifting, I didn't fully utilize my lats until months after learning it.

Compound lifting is a continuous learning exercise. And knowing how to practice good form will save you when you go to the breaking point.
No offense taken! I have been doing SS for about 2 months now, and I totally agree everything you said and will probably keep doing SS. I think my technique for the squat and bench press and OHP are pretty good right now. My deadlifts need a little bit of work though, can you explain to me what you mean by fully utilizing your lats? Will be helpful as its deadlift day for me haha.
harrywang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #22025
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Richmond
Posts: 678
Thanked 236 Times in 90 Posts
Speaking of SS and deadlifts today, I hit 3 plates on my deadlift again today after having to take a good 2 months off because I really screwed up my hand.
kcl38 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net