REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #22351
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

question for you lifters

When I do compound exercises (mainly just squats and OHP) I go through a "very fast movement" according to my friends. Mainly what I do is (say squats), I load the weight and squat down and up very quickly, instead of going down slowly.

Is this bad? I recall from Sid V post that for compound you have to move fast, but does that refer to the dropping down part as well?
Advertisement
wuuhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #22352
My homepage has been set to RS

You keep dropping down fast = no control = going to be a bad day for your spine/lumbar.

Controlled down, explode up.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #22353
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
speed doesnt imply lack of control. If you can keep an upright torso (assuming you high bar squat) and your weight is evenly distributed throughout your feet (i.e. You push with your heels) theres nothing wrong with squatting down fast. basic physics: f = ma so assuming youre doing the same weight as your friends you are generating more force lol.
Posted via RS Mobile
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #22354
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Fast going up
Fast down is kinda nuts
Posted via RS Mobile
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #22355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
speed doesnt imply lack of control. If you can keep an upright torso (assuming you high bar squat) and your weight is evenly distributed throughout your feet (i.e. You push with your heels) theres nothing wrong with squatting down fast. basic physics: f = ma so assuming youre doing the same weight as your friends you are generating more force lol.
Posted via RS Mobile
That was just my opinion, I see more risk than reward. More things could go wrong then good.

Then again, we don't know the experience level of the OP, because some beginners are lunatics with speed descent. Whereas, to a more intermediate lifter, its' definition may be interpreted differently.

Either way, controlled down is a good universal motto for me.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #22356
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

yeah I have a habit of going down and up very fast. Its to the point where the habit applies to some of my compounds (squats, OHP, rows).

I can control the drop and the weights are fine, just wanted some opinions if its good or bad
wuuhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #22357

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
people are saying Gold's in Richmond is closing down for good
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #22358
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachinesedude View Post
people are saying Gold's in Richmond is closing down for good
Heard that from my buddy. He wants to start stealing dumbells hahah.

Had an interesting day.

Benched 275, 275, 285, 285, 285.

So close. So close to 300. I'm sure I could do 290 if I just have a spot. I'm scared none the less. Since on the 5th rep it was slowly going back to the rack.

Then did weighted dips (290 including body weight)

And incline bench. Had to book it to work, then found out that it's super slow so I used a vacation day. Now I wanna go back and kill itw ith cardio and do some skullcrushers. Can't decide to go back to thompson or hit up watermania and swim.

Weighed myself too and I'm 226. I still feel super faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. fuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc ccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Last edited by Meowjin; 11-19-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #22359
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
300lbs bench with no spot is cray
Old 11-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #22360
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
300lbs bench with no spot is cray
I don't trust anyone because they don't understand the point of only spotting me if it begins to fall on me.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #22361

I used to work out for looks and girls before I met my gf. Then I started working and got a gf so I lost all motivation to work out and then I lost everything I worked so hard for and ended up wasting the last couple months of my membership at the oval.

So question: How do those of you with a gf already find motivation? Or a tired day after work? What pushes you if you can't find anything at all?
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #22362

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
just force yourself to go consistently. after a while it becomes a routine, like going to work or school.

and try finding friends to lift with, it makes being there less miserable
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #22363

Thanked 1,605 Times in 536 Posts
When my gf runs her fingers down my abs and caresses every inch of my body like I'm an adonis, thats what motivates me.
When I get home from work and she can't help but rip my shirt off my chiseled chest, that's what gives me that extra push.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #22364
Banned By Establishment

I never worked out because of girls. I worked out because I am so into myself that I could never allow myself to look like shit anymore.

it should be like this

career/finances/health.

Everything else that comes along (girls, cars, hobby's, vacations etc) is not really a priority till I satisfy the above.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #22365

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
I lift weights as an outlet for my rage. It makes me feel mentally and physically healthier.

When I don't lift weights I get really angry.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #22366
Banned By Establishment

i only lifted as much as I did today because the CRA accidently cancelled 7k worth of tuition credits.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #22367
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,360 Times in 315 Posts
Well, not a lifting PR, but a strength PR nevertheless...

broken_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #22368
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuuhoo View Post
question for you lifters

When I do compound exercises (mainly just squats and OHP) I go through a "very fast movement" according to my friends. Mainly what I do is (say squats), I load the weight and squat down and up very quickly, instead of going down slowly.

Is this bad? I recall from Sid V post that for compound you have to move fast, but does that refer to the dropping down part as well?
I'm curious to see how fast you can actually go down with your squats. If you're going at about 80%+ of your 1RM, you really shouldn't physically be able to go down at a speed that is fast enough for it to be dangerous if you're actually doing a proper rep all the way down and all the way up.

However, if you're actually going for power, as long as you're tightening your lower back and keeping your spine in neutral position, I really don't see how it can be a problem. You'll notice that most powerlifters drop down really quick to make use of that stretch reflex (ie. loading up their tendons with a ton of force), so that they can explode up. There's really nothing wrong with that, as long as you are keeping your back stick and tightening your core, because keep in mind, you will be alot more unstable doing this.

I wouldn't recommend going for power until you've developed some good neural control and strength base first.

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #22369
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoTurbo View Post
I used to work out for looks and girls before I met my gf. Then I started working and got a gf so I lost all motivation to work out and then I lost everything I worked so hard for and ended up wasting the last couple months of my membership at the oval.

So question: How do those of you with a gf already find motivation? Or a tired day after work? What pushes you if you can't find anything at all?
That's because working out for you was a tool. "Training" should be a hobbie, and to those that are truly dedicated - a lifestyle. notice what i did there?

lol, i don't lift for anything really, i lift because its just become a part of who i really am. All the goals that I make from lifting, are associated to lifting and not for some external goal. ie, making that 3 plate 1RM bench, repping out 130lb dumbells, squatting 4 plates, getting bigger hams, etc. All within the realm of weightlifting. Unlike many other hobbies, its not really a hobbie that you can criticize about, simply because exercise itself is related to your health and wellness. Anything to do with health and wellness nowadays = top of the top.

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #22370
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
yay for inflamed tendinitis on my elbow...
knight604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #22371
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
first mistake is training for anything other than YOURSELF. you pound weights for YOU. dont be a phaggot and workout for what other people think. that's bonus.
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #22372
RS Operative (G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoTurbo View Post

that sucks dude
there should be no reason to stopping lifting at all when you get a girl friend, if she is the type of girlfriend that makes u hang out all the time and not go to the gym no point waste of time.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #22373
RS Operative (G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
first mistake is training for anything other than YOURSELF. you pound weights for YOU. dont be a phaggot and workout for what other people think. that's bonus.
took the words from my needle i mean mouth
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #22374
kwy

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
DB bench pressed 90s for 2 reps and 80s for 3 reps at 120lbs BW. Previous PR was 75x1 lol.

On another note, saw two bros at the gym doing "deadlifts" with the worst form and most rounded backs I've ever seen..one word..hernia
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #22375
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

For those doing rhe smolov program, were there days that you guys were so sore and couldn't do any squatting and had to skip a day in the program?
Posted via RS Mobile
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote