REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #6776
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
How are you when you deadlift? I wanna try this next time I workout,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfEhHboTcow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCDFdNqg0I4

Same motion as a dead lift if you use the barbell (almost) but targets your quads
has anyone else tried hack squatting with plates on the ground like this guy?
Advertisement

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #6777
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancehead View Post
has anyone else tried hack squatting with plates on the ground like this guy?
yeah i do it as a finisher, this will give u the tear drop in your legs
a staple for me
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #6778
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I don't have a lot of faith in that Scott Herman guy.

If it was my goal to lift as much as possible, I personally wouldn't waste time doing 4, 5, or even 6 sets of deadlifts/squats/whatever for high reps. That's just too much fatigue. I would go for 3 sets, and decrease the reps as I progress to the end. When I deadlift, it's 3 sets, 5 reps for the 1st, 5 for the 2nd, maybe 2-3 for the last. If I was aiming for 1 RM I would do that for the last set.

That's just me though.

I'll take AAnthony as an example:
Quote:
Warm up: Set of 15 @ 135, then 3 sets of 6 @ 225.. decided to try 275 managed to get 2 out.
Can you enlighten me as to why you feel it's necessary to do 3x6 at 225? I would wager you could get more than 2 out @ 275 (and go heavier) if you hadn't pre-exhausted yourself with your last 2 sets. Please don't take offense to this, I'm just curious what your thoughts are behind this.

Last edited by nns; 06-01-2011 at 07:50 PM.
nns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #6779
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,605 Times in 536 Posts
Fun Fact : That Scott Herman guy was on MTV's The Real World.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #6780
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
scott herman dude is a deuce

i have always been a high rep guy, yeah it is fun to max out but imo 1 rep deads do more damage then growth i think, your forum is not as good om one rep max but then again i do one rep max for the big 3 allot,

u have to find what your body responds 2, i think everyone on hear is going for looks right, so most of us work out high volume, i do lift heavy but i have been in the game for a while as most know, sometimes u gotta stand back and look and what the people that actually look good and improve on a daily basics and ask your self is he doing the right thing or is the EI on the squat rack curling with ed hardy hat on is da mannnnn
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #6781
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
I more focus on usable strength than looks (volume) or numbers (maxes). For heavy lifts of things like squats and deads im in the 3-5 range. heavy bench press and push press is 5-6. most other things like shoulder press and back are 6-8. peripheral shit like arms are 8-12. add a few more than that for lower weight volume lifting.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #6782
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal0g0dv2 View Post
scott herman dude is a deuce

i have always been a high rep guy, yeah it is fun to max out but imo 1 rep deads do more damage then growth i think, your forum is not as good om one rep max but then again i do one rep max for the big 3 allot,

u have to find what your body responds 2, i think everyone on hear is going for looks right, so most of us work out high volume, i do lift heavy but i have been in the game for a while as most know, sometimes u gotta stand back and look and what the people that actually look good and improve on a daily basics and ask your self is he doing the right thing or is the EI on the squat rack curling with ed hardy hat on is da mannnnn
QFT, I'm not sure if I've said it on here before but theres one guy at my gym, I've never seen him lift more than a 60lb dumb bell but he's pretty ripped and a good solid size.
He just looks like the type of guy that knows what hes doing and has figued out what works for him.

His exercises are always different from what everyone else is doing too. I've always wanted to ask him for some tips but I dont wanna interrupt his workout either
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:11 PM   #6783
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Yaminashi View Post
QFT, I'm not sure if I've said it on here before but theres one guy at my gym, I've never seen him lift more than a 60lb dumb bell but he's pretty ripped and a good solid size.
He just looks like the type of guy that knows what hes doing and has figued out what works for him.

His exercises are always different from what everyone else is doing too. I've always wanted to ask him for some tips but I dont wanna interrupt his workout either
Gonna go ahead and say he has what a lot of people call "mature muscle". He's just trying to maintain the muscle mass he's built up over the years. I got a friend who is shredded and pretty jacked, and his workouts seem pretty light/easy for his size. He's been working out 10 years though, and in the beginning he worked out super hard, but now he just maintains his physique by eating good and doing easy workouts. So what works for him, won't work for you or me.

First day working out with straps, what a world of difference. Traps were on fire for the first time ever, and my traps actually fatigued before my grip did for once. Awesome Also first day on test freak ... meh let's see what happens, i know a few guys who have had positive results w/ it, I hope I can gain some strength on this.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #6784
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I'll take AAnthony as an example:

Can you enlighten me as to why you feel it's necessary to do 3x6 at 225? I would wager you could get more than 2 out @ 275 (and go heavier) if you hadn't pre-exhausted yourself with your last 2 sets. Please don't take offense to this, I'm just curious what your thoughts are behind this.
That wasn't on a true leg day, it was AFTER I did my full chest/tricep workout. I was already pretty exhausted by the time i got to squats. I knew i could have done more, but @ that point i just wanted to go home.
With all my exercises i always alternate between two types of days: Sets of 12 (endurance days), or Sets of 6 (heavy days). For every exercise I do 4 sets (excluding warm-up sets). This was a plan drawn up by my trainer a few months ago, and i wanna stick to it. Obviously i'm gunna change it up in a few months.
The reason i'm trying to keep reps higher is because i'm not 100% confident in my squat form. I don't doubt i can squat double my weight, but it's all about personal goals, i would feel more accomplised being able to squat 225 fifty times, as opposed to 350 twice.
AAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #6785
I don't get it

i've been working on different exercise for the biceps and im just wondering whats the difference between
Standing Cable Curls
or
Barbell Curls
Which will produce a better results?
Old 06-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #6786
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,151 Times in 2,395 Posts
I think cable curls are more effective than barbell as they provide approximately the same amount of resistance throughout the range of motion, whereas barbell the resistance is less at the top and bottom of ROM.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #6787
I bringith the lowerballerith

drag curls, reverse curls on preacher, hammer curls are good change up from regular curls
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by PK6o4*; 06-02-2011 at 10:25 PM.
PK6o4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #6788

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
Can you enlighten me as to why you feel it's necessary to do 3x6 at 225?
Also, one thing i learnt from my uncle (600+ lbs squat), is when squatting do your weight increases in plates (90 pound increments). He thinks its pussy to move up by 10 lbs per side (he's an old-timer "squats and milk" kinda guy). Instead he told me to squat 225 until it feels boring for me, then jump to 315. It'll be a huge shock to my body, but eventually it will get easier and easier. 315 to 405 in gunna be a bitch!

I do squats for 2 reasons: BECAUSE I HAVE TO & because it burns a huuuge amount of calories. Once every month or so i try to do ten sets of ten in under half an hour (posted about 100 pages back), it's definitely a killer. Some days I do front squats. No matter what I'm always sweating like a pig every squat day. Definitely need to try those hack squats. Halo, do you do them mixed grip????

Last edited by AAnthony; 06-02-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #6789
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
adding a plate or 90lbs to a 600lb squat is adding 15%

adding a ten or 20lbs to a 135lb squat is adding 15%

adding a plate or 90lbs to a 225lb squat is adding 40% more weight.

tell your uncle to add another 240lbs to his 600lb squat and see what happens.
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #6790
The Brown Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3w8ie-aler View Post
i've been working on different exercise for the biceps and im just wondering whats the difference between
Standing Cable Curls
or
Barbell Curls
Which will produce a better results?
Hammer curls are a personal favorite. If you want bigger biceps I'm a believe in closegrip pull ups (on your backday) supersetted with hammer curls (or another bicep workout, take your pick). If you cant do a pullup use the assisted pullup machine or the pull down machine and just try to mock the motion. Also try to do heavy negatives (use both hands to lift the dumbbell up, but then slooowwwllyy (3-5 secs) release it down with only one arm, will pump the shit out of your bicep). Do it on the preacher curl. Don't get too caught up with biceps though .. chicks love a guy that can deadlift heavy
Old 06-02-2011, 11:09 PM   #6791

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
tell your uncle to add another 240lbs to his 600lb squat and see what happens.
If I tell him that he'll point and laugh at me, so i'll save myself the embarrassment. Obviously his knees would explode like a pizza pocket if he added 240 lbs.

adding 90 to 225 = 40% increase
adding 90 to 315 = 28.5% increase
adding 90 to 405 = 22% increase
adding 90 to 495 = 18% increase

Notice the percentages go down. So i don't know why you brought up some 40% rule.
When i jumped from 135 to 225 my legs shook, and it was difficult, but i pulled it off. I also made sure i could do 10 sets of 10 @ 135 (got bored of the weight) before i made the jump. Now i can do reps of 6 no problem. Being a powerlifter he thinks it's pussy to add 10 lbs at a time to HEAVY squats.
adding 20 to 450 = 4% increase........seems like a pretty pussy increase dosen't it?!?!?
The key here is to shock the muslces, 4% wont be enough

Last edited by AAnthony; 06-02-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #6792
The Brown Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAnthony View Post
If I tell him that he'll point and laugh at me, so i'll save myself the embarrassment. Obviously his knees would explode like a pizza pocket if he added 240 lbs.

adding 90 to 225 = 40% increase
adding 90 to 315 = 28.5% increase
adding 90 to 405 = 22% increase
adding 90 to 495 = 18% increase

Notice the percentages go down. So i don't know why you brought up some 40% rule.
When i jumped from 135 to 225 my legs shook, and it was difficult, but i pulled it off. I also made sure i could do 10 sets of 10 @ 135 (got bored of the weight) before i made the jump. Now i can do reps of 6 no problem. Being a powerlifter he thinks it's pussy to add 10 lbs at a time to HEAVY squats.
adding 20 to 350 = 5% increase........seems like a pretty pussy increase dosen't it?!?!?
nothing pussy about linear gains. You might laugh at the guy that adds 2.5lb plates to his squat every week, but because he checks his ego at the door and continues to push himself every week, he might just end up gaining more in a year than you did because he increased slowly but steadily. I've been adding small increments to all my workouts since January and so far progress is awesome. I learned pretty quick ego is your worst enemy at the gym.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #6793
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
all this squat talk is making me emo as fuck because i have a torn hamstring and cant do any deadlifts or compression movements for 6 weeks... #FEELSBADMAN
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:53 PM   #6794

Quote:
nothing pussy about linear gains. You might laugh at the guy that adds 2.5lb plates to his squat every week, but because he checks his ego at the door and continues to push himself every week, he might just end up gaining more in a year than you did because he increased slowly but steadily.
I think it's impossible for a powerlifter to check his ego @ the door. Keep in mind he's an old school guy, but i've never seen anybody lift as much as he can. So i take his advice, but it's far from the bible. I even had a fitness world trainer (not the best, but far from a powerlifter mindset) show me a lot of yoga stuff, and crazy bosu ball exercises. I like to get as many opinions as possible.
Thats why i've read every page of this thread, so i can see the different opinions/mindsets, and try new stuff. I'm way more concerned about volume as opposed to weight. But in 6 months my squat has increased 200 lbs. So i can't really say anything bad about his 90 lb increases. It seriously shocks your legs. It's not about ego, it's about SHOCKING YOUR LEGS, thus causing them to grow. I push myself every workout, hour and a half @ the gym. I know i'm working WAYY harder than that guy beside me. and who says i'm laughing at him

Last edited by AAnthony; 06-03-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #6795

1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #6796
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Gonna go ahead and say he has what a lot of people call "mature muscle". He's just trying to maintain the muscle mass he's built up over the years. I got a friend who is shredded and pretty jacked, and his workouts seem pretty light/easy for his size. He's been working out 10 years though, and in the beginning he worked out super hard, but now he just maintains his physique by eating good and doing easy workouts. So what works for him, won't work for you or me.

First day working out with straps, what a world of difference. Traps were on fire for the first time ever, and my traps actually fatigued before my grip did for once. Awesome Also first day on test freak ... meh let's see what happens, i know a few guys who have had positive results w/ it, I hope I can gain some strength on this.
I never actually thought of that, and you're probably right

Keep us updated how test freak works out, one of my buddies actually suggested boosting my testosterone levels/ GH levels?

I dunno if its the same thing?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
Old 06-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #6797
I subscribe to Revscene

Test is different.. im also gonna give natural test boosters a shot.. I got 2 bottles of bioforge pro max (supposidly the best natty test booster u can get), 2 bottles of testopro and powder DAA. I plan to run all these together and im hoping for some great results... on a side note, my shoulders have been lacking big time.. for the last cpl months I haven't made any gains, last night I did 6-7 sets for side raises, 5 sets facepulls etc.. when I move my arms up I can feel the soreness.. hopefully this does the trick and getting more protein in my diet
Posted via RS Mobile
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #6798
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Anyone get a reaction when they take pre-workout supplements?

Taking Assault and I get this tingly feeling on my face...
JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #6799

It have Beta Alanine? That stuff causes tingles.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 06-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #6800
How I Mod your mother

Sounds like the BEta alanine kicking in. Personally I dont feel any sort of tingling from any pre-wo drinks
Quote: