REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #19451
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy

Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts
I wonder if a faster descent to take advantage of the bounce at the bottom will help you get out of a tough squat you'd otherwise have to grind out?

note: not a dive bomb, still controlled but a bit faster
Advertisement
kevin7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #19452
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSilver View Post
EDIT: red_sir record another video but get your friend to film from the side where we can actually see your legs. I feel as though you're breaking from the knees first than your actual hip sitting back. Could be the problem?
Hmm I think you're right. I haven't been paying attention to that but since I've been tryin to stay more upright, that probably means I am breaking at the knees first.

I will try to fix that and get another vid up in the next week or two.
red_sir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #19453
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin7352 View Post
I wonder if a faster descent to take advantage of the bounce at the bottom will help you get out of a tough squat you'd otherwise have to grind out?

I still wouldn't risk. You have over 4 plates on your back, don't get too flashy just for the sake of bouncing up.

Too much risk for little reward.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #19454
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
Unfortunately for me, I've always had to revert back to wide stance squats cus my knees just can't take it. I can squat 3 plates and 25 with wide stance, but not even 2 plate for narrow cus my left knee just buckles.. it fuckin sucks... its also the reason why my right quad is 2 inches bigger than my left... i got it measured and im like
I think we have the same issue Instant. I can't do narrow as well, my knees naturally pronate inwards, gives me issues so wider stance (not as wide as powerlifter), give's me the best feel.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #19455
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:

I think I know what you mean. I just watched a video on youtube where Mark Bell explains how a "dip" at the bottom can create a helpful stretch reflex effect. Will give it a shot... with light weights at first of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdSS...4&feature=plcp
Old 07-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #19456
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
red_sir, I feel I should ask you this since you seem pretty experienced.

What do you do when you feel you've plateaued in squats? I realize many people will say lighten it up, possibly up the reps and sets. I'd like to know what you would personally do. Say, if you lighten the weight and do more sets/reps, what's the percentage and how long would you do this before testing yourself with heavy weight again?

BTW, your squat is impressive. I hate failing on reps. I failed at @ 305 earlier this week for 1 rep, when I've done it so many times in the past. It's a real big blow to morale. Props for soldiering on for another rep.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #19457
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy

Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_sir View Post
I think I know what you mean. I just watched a video on youtube where Mark Bell explains how a "dip" at the bottom can create a helpful stretch reflex effect. Will give it a shot... with light weights at first of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdSS...4&feature=plcp
watch any olympic weightlifter catch a clean, they will most likely bounce out of the bottom

edit: or even a back squat, watch this video where they catch a clean and near they end where they back squat. and this is a HEAVY set

kevin7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #19458
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
red_sir, I feel I should ask you this since you seem pretty experienced.

What do you do when you feel you've plateaued in squats? I realize many people will say lighten it up, possibly up the reps and sets. I'd like to know what you would personally do. Say, if you lighten the weight and do more sets/reps, what's the percentage and how long would you do this before testing yourself with heavy weight again?

BTW, your squat is impressive. I hate failing on reps. I failed at @ 305 earlier this week for 1 rep, when I've done it so many times in the past. It's a real big blow to morale. Props for soldiering on for another rep.
Hehe that was the first time I've failed on a squat. It wasn't as bad as I expected... I always imagined I would get stapled hard and make a lot more noise.

Anyway, read about progressive overload. Bodybuilding.com - Progressive Overload: The Concept You Must Know To Grow!

Basically you cannot lift the same weights and and expect different results. You need to increase the demand on your body one way or another. You can add more weights, more reps, more volume etc. The trick is to be constantly increasing the demand but in small, achievable amounts. So if you can squat 225 x 8 this week, shoot for 225 x 9 or maybe 235 x 8 next week. If you try to take too big steps you will likely fail and end up lifting the same weights/reps.

I highly recommend the 5/3/1 program by Wendler. It pretty much answers all your questions. It tells you when to increase/decrease the weight, what percentages to lift at, and how long, etc.
T NATION | How to Build Pure Strength
With that program you will be testing yourself trying to set new rep records every workout. Just remember, plateaus are not smashed, they're surpassed slowly and methodically.

Edit: Oh yeah, assistance work helps if you have lagging areas/weak links. E.g. usually lots of hamstring work will help squats, lower back exercises like good mornings will help deadlifts, and tricep work will help bench. And eating a lot and just getting bigger will help everything.

Last edited by red_sir; 07-19-2012 at 09:16 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #19459
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
^yep, 10% per periodization or mesocycle

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #19460
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
watch any olympic weightlifter catch a clean, they will most likely bounce out of the bottom

edit: or even a back squat, watch this video where they catch a clean and near they end where they back squat. and this is a HEAVY set

3 Singles at 95%, Squats! Max set of 5 - YouTube
lol shit, this is making me want to start doing powerlifting/weightlifting now, they all looks so beast... even that one chick that looked pretty cute LOL

revscene barbell club anyone?

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.

Last edited by instantneedles; 07-19-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #19461
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:

3 Singles at 95%, Squats! Max set of 5 - YouTube
Nice, I saw that video earlier this week too!

I will play around with the bounce but I have some reservations about it. With my mobility and lack of a raised heel shoe, squatting/bouncing that low I'm afraid would compromise my lower back.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #19462
I LOVE SQWAT

Speaking of oly style squatting, this guy is a monster. 630lbs @ 170 like it was nothing.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #19463
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:
lol shit, this is making me want to start doing powerlifting/weightlifting now, they all looks so beast... even that one chick that looked pretty cute LOL

Just be a body builder and lift heavy ass weight
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #19464
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
jesus the guy is squatting 4plates+ give him a fuckin break... good lift.
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #19465
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 3,267 Times in 547 Posts
Quote:

That's the one thing I really enjoyed about babylover's ss. Lift heavy and still be able to make some nice gains (by still focusing on the mind muscle connection)
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #19466
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,775 Times in 8,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_sir View Post
Thanks for... nothing lol. EVERYBODY can drop the weight and work on form. NOBODY will have perfect form on a 1rm. I am testing my max to see where my form breaks down first so I can work on those things. If you see specific problems with my form please point out how I should correct them.

That is retarded. How is a belt cheating me out of a proper squat? I've only used a belt for 3 squat sessions now. It has not altered the way I squat. If I have techique problems they were there long before the belt came along.
OK keep doing what you're doing then. You posted a form check, people check your form, then you bitch when they tell you it's all wrong. Not a little bit wrong like you'd expect on a 1RM, but completely wrong, like you're lucky you don't hurt yourself wrong.

The point I made of the belt is that it is helping you pack on a lot of weight and attempt redic PR's. But at what expense? Like I said, if the point of your workout is to pack on a shit ton of weight and post videos of it on youtube, that's fine. Everyone has different goals, and that's excellent. Again I want to reiterate that I am not comparing one goal to another, so I will just leave it at that. Keep doing what you're doing, and if this was a show off video rather than a form check (as the title implies), I apologize, and change my comment to "props brah".

And if that is the case, you might want to consider knee wraps, they'll let you add on at least 2 more plates in all seriousness. You might even have to pull down on them to get parallel, as sometimes under 6 plates isn't even enough weight to load the spring force all the way down.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #19467
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
haha wtf

The worst squat ever! - YouTube
Old 07-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #19468
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinn3r View Post
That's what he gets for doing low-bar squats

Old 07-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #19469
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
OK keep doing what you're doing then. You posted a form check, people check your form, then you bitch when they tell you it's all wrong. Not a little bit wrong like you'd expect on a 1RM, but completely wrong, like you're lucky you don't hurt yourself wrong.

The point I made of the belt is that it is helping you pack on a lot of weight and attempt redic PR's. But at what expense? Like I said, if the point of your workout is to pack on a shit ton of weight and post videos of it on youtube, that's fine. Everyone has different goals, and that's excellent. Again I want to reiterate that I am not comparing one goal to another, so I will just leave it at that. Keep doing what you're doing, and if this was a show off video rather than a form check (as the title implies), I apologize, and change my comment to "props brah".

And if that is the case, you might want to consider knee wraps, they'll let you add on at least 2 more plates in all seriousness. You might even have to pull down on them to get parallel, as sometimes under 6 plates isn't even enough weight to load the spring force all the way down.
I don't think red_sir is bitching because you're saying his squat form is wrong. He is bitching because that is all you're saying. From his multiple posts he has clearly stated he wants input on why he's wrong and how he can correct it.

You don't need to be sarcastic about your post.

Anyways, from watching your video, it looks like you drive with your hips but your chest comes up after. I feel you should drive your hips while leading your chest. They are 2 actions that should be done at the same time to avoid squat mornings. Your chest should never fall forward like that so as to keep good posture throughout the squat.
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #19470
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:

Like u said, he asked for a form check. Telling him to go up or down in weight is insignificant to the way the squat is being executed. I don't see any comments in regard to his actual 'form' in ur form check post. By saying that he is lifting too much weight you're implying that a 1RM can't be done with proper form. Heck, there's an entire sport out there dedicated to 1RM with proper form - powerlifting.

Even though he could work on his form (even he said so himself), u didn't really give him any tips for that. He knows hes wrong. He wants to know "WHY" he's wrong.

This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #19471
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
Quote:

a belt would only help you put on like what? 20 lbs more?

and i don't see why using a belt is wrong for a 1rm, sure you can do it belt less but it's for some safety... and who has perfect form on a 1rm anyways...
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #19472
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:

Sorry if you were mistaken. Usually when people post form check videos they are looking for constructive feedback from people who know wtf they are talking about. No offsense, but that does not include you. I've seen some of the videos and numbers you posted and if I want to learn how to overhead squat an empty bar or something like that I'll pm you then.

I don't know how much weight you think a belt adds for a squat but I can tell you it does not create miracles. I squat damn near as much without one. If you think a belt will do all the work for you go throw one on and let's see some ridiculous PR's from yourself.

Please, just stick to giving advice about pre-workout supplements.
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #19473
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,775 Times in 8,169 Posts
Quote:
Like u said, he asked for a form check. Telling him to go up or down in weight is insignificant to the way the squat is being executed. I don't see any comments in regard to his actual 'form' in ur form check post. By saying that he is lifting too much weight you're implying that a 1RM can't be done with proper form. Heck, there's an entire sport out there dedicated to 1RM with proper form - powerlifting.

Even though he could work on his form (even he said so himself), u didn't really give him any tips for that. He knows hes wrong. He wants to know "WHY" he's wrong.
Going down in weight would be the first step in fixing form. For all we know, if he does 2 plates a side, his form is perfect. Who knows when he's doing way more weight than he should right?

I was trying to be helpful, and he is being all cunty about it. So whatever...
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-19-2012, 11:22 PM   #19474
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
Anyways, from watching your video, it looks like you drive with your hips but your chest comes up after. I feel you should drive your hips while leading your chest. They are 2 actions that should be done at the same time to avoid squat mornings. Your chest should never fall forward like that so as to keep good posture throughout the squat.
Thanks man, that's what I was thinking too. The attempt that I failed on, I was never able to get my chest up. On the successful attempts, it felt as soon as I was able to get my chest up the lockout was guaranteed. Hmm something more to work on...
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #19475
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:
Going down in weight would be the first step in fixing form. For all we know, if he does 2 plates a side, his form is perfect. Who knows when he's doing way more weight than he should right?

I was trying to be helpful, and he is being all cunty about it. So whatever...
You are either someone who has never attempted a 1 rep max, or someone who's 1 rep max is so low you are able to keep perfect form. And for being such a form/technique nazi, I have never seen you demonstrate any real knowledge about the subject.

Here is my advice for you. Sometimes you just have to stop being scared and making excuses and just lift some heavy shit.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by: