REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #24276
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,051 Times in 676 Posts
I'm not very familiar with the program, but I'm pretty sure the set-rep scheme only applies to the main compound exercises. I don't see why a a program (or any program for that matter) would make you do 5x5 on tricep extensions or barbell curls.
Advertisement
Fcukedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #24277
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
id stick 3x5/5x5 with the big lifts and 8-12 for others
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #24278

Thanked 1,605 Times in 536 Posts
Going to take 2 weeks off from squatting then start smolov with a max of 315 because that's honestly how much I can max out right now.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #24279
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,360 Times in 315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Situation View Post
Going to take 2 weeks off from squatting then start smolov with a max of 315 because that's honestly how much I can max out right now.
I followed red_sir's advice and started with 25 lbs less then my actual max, and to be honest, I'm glad I did..
broken_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:48 PM   #24280
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
so after all this, I tweaked something in my back while doing a warm up set of 275 tonite lol. Was in the gym for less than 5 minutes. Fuck you guys

And son, I know you're strong as hell (stronger than me), but I was lifting heavy before you knew where the gym was.

But I stand by my statement tho. If you're doing 10 sets with 6+ minutes between each set, you're spending over an hour 'resting' aka hogging the squat rack not even squatting.
Yes, I can use the squat rack for over an hour. Sometimes even more if I OHP after. If that bothers you then may I politely direct your attention to the TWO other empty squat racks beside the one I am currently occupying?
I specifically switched gyms for this reason. My old gym was a busy community centre with one squat rack. I moved to a quiet gym with three racks even though it's 20 mins farther from my place. I cannot remember the last time I've seen people squat in all three racks simultaneously. If that still doesn't work for you, I will gladly move to one of the empty racks so you can curl in this one.

Also, I "knew where the gym was" when I signed up at 15. That was almost 16 years ago. I was not nearly as strong back then as I am now, mainly because there was no internet back then to learn from. Everything I learned, I learned from magazines and "bros" in the gym. I still managed to rep 245 on bench when I was around 20. I stopped lifting for most of my 20's. Those years were dedicated to other athletic interests like jiu-jitsu and running. So yes, you may have been lifting longer than me recently but I assure you, you have not been lifting heavy before I "knew where the gym was."
red_sir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #24281
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Situation View Post
I thought you were squatting almost 4 plate? Is it because you switched to highbar?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:20 AM   #24282
-Stare-

Thanked 8,013 Times in 648 Posts
first time having cottage cheese in my protein shake

fing love it
ShadowBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #24283

Thanked 1,605 Times in 536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_sir View Post
I thought you were squatting almost 4 plate? Is it because you switched to highbar?
yeah ever since the switch, going heavy is so much harder. but i hit 365 with high bar before i learned about what low bar was. itll take some time, but im sure i will readjust
Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 AM   #24284
I LOVE SQWAT

Ahh ic. Perfect time for smolov. It'll get you caught back up and then some in no time!
Old 02-06-2013, 01:56 AM   #24285
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

attempted my max squat tonight. Got to 405 pretty good depth. Very happy the 5/3/1 program is working for me. Weighed in tonight at 159 lb.
Posted via RS Mobile
vash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #24286

It looks like the cold tub just delayed DOMS till today, which happens to be the second day of Smolov (week 1). 3 of the 7 sets were full of agony and pain. Everything cracked/popped as I was going down, hamstrings, hips, lower-back. Great fun! Was only able to put in 1 upper body pull exercise (seated row) and called it a day. But, besides my bitching and complaining, I feel so good after the workout is done! Really feels like I am accomplishing something, lol.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #24287
I LOVE SQWAT

You did 7 sets on day 2? Day 2's are 5 sets 7 reps, no?
Old 02-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #24288

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_sir View Post
You did 7 sets on day 2? Day 2's are 5 sets 7 reps, no?
Crap. I had two spreadsheets, one for Smolov Jr and one for Smolov base mesocycle. I mixed them up. You think I should continue with JR or switch to regular starting day 3 (this Friday)?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #24289
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_arrow View Post
Crap. I had two spreadsheets, one for Smolov Jr and one for Smolov base mesocycle. I mixed them up. You think I should continue with JR or switch to regular starting day 3 (this Friday)?
Posted via RS Mobile
if you didn't have trouble completing today's workout i think you can do smolov base, you still got the 35 total reps required. both work outs were based on 75%
L0uie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #24290
I LOVE SQWAT

Oh lol. I would def switch back to reg. The higher reps suck (in a good way).
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #24291

Sounds good, thanks! It looks like another 7x5 day for me on Friday then, lol.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #24292
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
40min cardio sesh after yesterday and still being sore..holy fuck i cant even "flop" down to sit..the way i go to "sit" down, i feel like im a lady with an 8month old baby in my stomach. seriously takes me like 5 secs to sit

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #24293
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Finally have a BBQ, and my meat intake just tripled

Hopping back on this horse since the move back to Van!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #24294
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

If anyone wants a tub of allmax creatine monohydrate for 10$ meet me at the langara ymca
probably used around 50g of it before I realized I was allergic
its the 1000g bottle sold at popeyes for 25!
alwayslive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #24295
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayslive View Post
If anyone wants a tub of allmax creatine monohydrate for 10$ meet me at the langara ymca
probably used around 50g of it before I realized I was allergic
its the 1000g bottle sold at popeyes for 25!
will buy
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #24296
J.C

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
^^^ aw man
i want it too
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #24297
I don't get it

I've been meaning to get fit and lift. The good news is that my school (Douglas College, New Westminster campus) offers a free gym to all full time students. However it doesn't have a power rack. My program of choice will be Starting Strength (I started reading it today, taking detailed notes), so the way I see it, I have three options:

1. Do runs at New West (T/Th/Sa) and lift at David Lam (M/W/F), which has a rack. This is my preferred choice if at all possible. Also it's close to downtown Coquitlam so lots of shopping and entertainment options post workout. However if the gym at DLC is only available to students who register for courses at DLC then that option goes out the window.

2. Pick an exercise program that doesn't use barbell squats, or barbells at all. (Eg dumbbell only programs, or bodyweight programs like You Are Your Own Gym). This is my next best choice until I scrounge up enough money for a gym membership.

3. A commercial gym (Fitness World, Goodlife, Fitness 2000, Gold's Gym). Hopefully a last resort.

What do you all think? I think the most important thing is that I pick a gym, pick a program, and make it routine. I can worry about the rest later.

When it comes to supplements...when I worked out at Eileen Daily pool (don't recommend), I wojld get a half litre of chocolate milk is (after lifts and runs). Assuming I have it 6x a week at $1.25 per, that's $7.50 a week or about $34 a month. Some inexpensive whey and casein would be nice. Other than buying from bb.com and shipping to Point Roberts, what can I do to supplement on a budget? Or can I just stick with protein rich meals and chocolate milk?

If I broke some kind of rule in this post, I'm sorry. I admit I didn't search the thread before I posted.
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #24298
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden View Post
I've been meaning to get fit and lift. The good news is that my school (Douglas College, New Westminster campus) offers a free gym to all full time students. However it doesn't have a power rack. My program of choice will be Starting Strength (I started reading it today, taking detailed notes), so the way I see it, I have three options:

1. Do runs at New West (T/Th/Sa) and lift at David Lam (M/W/F), which has a rack. This is my preferred choice if at all possible. Also it's close to downtown Coquitlam so lots of shopping and entertainment options post workout. However if the gym at DLC is only available to students who register for courses at DLC then that option goes out the window.

2. Pick an exercise program that doesn't use barbell squats, or barbells at all. (Eg dumbbell only programs, or bodyweight programs like You Are Your Own Gym). This is my next best choice until I scrounge up enough money for a gym membership.

3. A commercial gym (Fitness World, Goodlife, Fitness 2000, Gold's Gym). Hopefully a last resort.

What do you all think? I think the most important thing is that I pick a gym, pick a program, and make it routine. I can worry about the rest later.

When it comes to supplements...when I worked out at Eileen Daily pool (don't recommend), I wojld get a half litre of chocolate milk is (after lifts and runs). Assuming I have it 6x a week at $1.25 per, that's $7.50 a week or about $34 a month. Some inexpensive whey and casein would be nice. Other than buying from bb.com and shipping to Point Roberts, what can I do to supplement on a budget? Or can I just stick with protein rich meals and chocolate milk?

If I broke some kind of rule in this post, I'm sorry. I admit I didn't search the thread before I posted.
well #2 isnt really an option at all, theres a reason every athlete on the planet lifts barbells with weights

and yes you dont really need whey or casein, you can stick with meals and choco milk
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #24299
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I would say you're restricting yourself too much by choosing a gym without barbells. Even if you aren't going onto a program that uses them right away, you'll wish your gym had them eventually.

Anyways, after slacking all Jan and not being able to pull anything past 315 I got in some 355 deadlifts the other night.
kcl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #24300
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

@jc and strykn
im at langara from 8:30-6:30 tomorrow
break from 10:30-2:30 and will probably be at the gym from 10:30-12
so first come first serve?
alwayslive is offline   Reply With Quote