REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #25101
My homepage has been set to RS

Man all you fuckers are getting strong.
Advertisement

MY FEEDBACK
jimzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2013, 12:36 AM   #25102
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I've only made significant gains on my deadlifts lately

Tonight I deadlifted 160 kilo x 5, took a rest, and then got 180 x 2. Still a few pounds off 400 and then 4 plates!
kcl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #25103
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
Lol dude stop with your broscience. Ive been benching since hs with absolutely no shoulder problems. And there no such thing as "overstretching" your pec, you should alway touch your chest. False sense of strength? Notice how every serious strength athlete benches
Posted via RS Mobile
I don't think any of what I said was broscience in anyway. Not everyone is genetically gifted as you or possibly lucky as you to not have been dealt a serious blow such as a rotator cuff injury. Unfortunately I've been dealt that fate (due to car accident, not in the gym) but it doesn't stop me from using the benchpress from time to time. The difference here is when my right shoulder starts buckling when the bar gets closer and closer to my chest should I still keep going down til the bar touches my chest? No. Maybe there might be some broscience in regards to overstreching the chest, but there is no denying the fact that there was overstreching in my shoulders. Maybe my pre-existing injury is holding me back from reaching my max potential?

Don't get me wrong. You should always use a full range of motion when you perform any exercise but there are limits, at least physically speaking. It is not necessarily going as far as you can go; it’s as far as you can go in good form, with adequate strength and stability in the joints.

False sense of strength? So your saying that if your able to bench 405 effortlessly, you should be able to lift 2 200lbs dumbbells effortlessly too right? The bar stabilizes the weight across both arms. Hence the false sense of strength. Sure your chest is doing most of the work but your triceps is what gets that weight off your chest and as Alpha v2 said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha v2 View Post
you're forgetting that with DB you're going to have a hard time getting your dumbbels up if you're working anything like 5 reps and lower
By your logic, since I can bench 185 atm, I should have been able to dumbbell press at least 85lbs by now. I currently struggle with 75lbs WITH a shoulder injury.

I even corrected myself in that post stating that you should move back to the bench press once you master 100lbs dumbbells,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi604 View Post
graduate from the bench press to dumbbells as soon as possible. Move back to the bench press when you need to lift heaver than 100+ lbs dumbbells.
What's so wrong with mastering overall upper body strength and then moving back to the benchpress for strength work?

Snoop Dogg - Starksy & Hutch
Sushi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #25104
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
in the bench press you can move up increments by 5 lbs, or even 2.5 lbs if you have smaller plates or if you make some yourself.. whereas dumbbells you move up 10 lbs at a time, and when you're training strength.. moving up 10 lbs especially with dumbbells isn't going to work out at 3-5 reps. they're great for bodybuilding but for powerlifting they would act as an accessory lift
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #25105
iceboy & saucywoman are my parents!

Thanked 1,770 Times in 445 Posts
i always stick with the bar, the only time i used dumbells was when i was recovering after a injury

otherwise i wouldnt use the dumbells.

especially for bench and if ur trying to be a powerlifter, u cant arch properly with dumbells and i cant seem to tuck my elbows in properly either.

i was close to destroying my rotator cuffs because i was guillotine pressing heavy like a idiot, but once i got the barbell bench form right the pain and chances of actually fucking up my rotators went away

all about dat form
[23-07, 02:53] LSF22 the guy who i just saw had like 5 or 6 cars on his lawn needs a ride

[07-10, 15:42] nabs tbails14 = the legend continues

[27-10, 19:44] slickrick (to ts14) NO NOT THE EXHAUST

[07-10, 22:42] Ri2 If I had a real one I'd fap til it turns blue probably

[05-01, 16:24] Geoc ts you're a never ending inspiration for the inner buddy guy in all of us
ts14 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #25106
I don't get it

I see your point. Most gyms dumbbells don't go up in 2.5lbs increments so that does cause a problem. I was at a sticking point with 65lbs dumbbells for a long time, but eventually I broke that barrier in the 2nd week of January.

Snoop Dogg - Starksy & Hutch
Sushi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #25107

Thanked 1,605 Times in 536 Posts
I've had a rotator cuff injury in the past and it has been bothering me for years. Once I learned to bench properly though, it hasn't affected me since. It actually bothers my shoulder more when I dumbbell chest press. It might be because I can't stay as tight in my form using dumbbells as I can with a barbell.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #25108
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Situation View Post
I've had a rotator cuff injury in the past and it has been bothering me for years. Once I learned to bench properly though, it hasn't affected me since. It actually bothers my shoulder more when I dumbbell chest press. It might be because I can't stay as tight in my form using dumbbells as I can with a barbell.
if you don't already use a neutral grip when doing DB press i find it hard on my shoulders when i flare my elbows out also from a rc injury
L0uie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #25109
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcukedd View Post
Yeah my training has been primarily based on strength. Did you get injured? I remember seeing you deadlift 365+ and squat over 315.

Do you still train at the same place?
The gym has always been secondary to race training. When you're putting on 60-100km a week in volume, gains be hard. I'm happy keeping my numbers around there.

Yeap, still training there.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #25110
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
bench 330

deadlift 400

squat 240

these are not 1rm.

i just like to eat. I dont know why your picking on me because I'm cutting.

also I am bi-polar and it's something thats really hard to deal with. This chick explains it really well

Bipolar Bodybuilding - MichelleParish's BodyBlog at Bodybuilding.com
Oh I'm sorry, did you think I cared what you can lift?

You're "cutting" all the time. How sustainable has that been for you? Oh... wait.. it hasn't been because you're doing dumb crash diets.

I predict that you're going to crash down, get skinny, get depressed, get fat again and the cycle will continue.

Next time, try something a little more sustainable.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #25111
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi604 View Post
I don't think any of what I said was broscience in anyway. Not everyone is genetically gifted as you or possibly lucky as you to not have been dealt a serious blow such as a rotator cuff injury. Unfortunately I've been dealt that fate (due to car accident, not in the gym) but it doesn't stop me from using the benchpress from time to time. The difference here is when my right shoulder starts buckling when the bar gets closer and closer to my chest should I still keep going down til the bar touches my chest? No. Maybe there might be some broscience in regards to overstreching the chest, but there is no denying the fact that there was overstreching in my shoulders. Maybe my pre-existing injury is holding me back from reaching my max potential?

Don't get me wrong. You should always use a full range of motion when you perform any exercise but there are limits, at least physically speaking. It is not necessarily going as far as you can go; it’s as far as you can go in good form, with adequate strength and stability in the joints.
Sorry, but pretty much all of what you said is broscience. Talking about dumbbell pressing working your core and bench press over stretching your chest is broscience to the max.

If you don't have the mobility for a specific exercise like the bench press you can work on it instead of whining and making excuses and writing the exercise off completely. Many of us work on our mobility and do prehab exercises for bench pressing the same way we do for squats/deadlifts. Sure, maybe with your injury you'll never be able to bench press safely. So what? That doesn't make bench pressing a bad exercise for the rest of us that have no problems. Don't speak for everyone else.

Quote:
False sense of strength? So your saying that if your able to bench 405 effortlessly, you should be able to lift 2 200lbs dumbbells effortlessly too right? The bar stabilizes the weight across both arms. Hence the false sense of strength.
Maybe YOU were foolish enough to believe you could dumbbell press what you barbell press, but nobody else said/implied that.

Quote:
Sure your chest is doing most of the work but your triceps is what gets that weight off your chest and as Alpha v2 said,
It's a compound exercise, what do you expect? If you don't want to use triceps go do flies on the pec deck. Even your precious dumbbell bench will hit your triceps hard.

Quote:
By your logic, since I can bench 185 atm, I should have been able to dumbbell press at least 85lbs by now. I currently struggle with 75lbs WITH a shoulder injury.
That is not anyone's logic except your own. You're the one that came up with this 1:1 ratio for bench and dumbbells. 185 bench is still weak and will not get you dumbbell pressing 85's.

Quote:
I even corrected myself in that post stating that you should move back to the bench press once you master 100lbs dumbbells,
Lol! I guess Sid and I fucked up. Our dumbasses completely did things out of order. We almost always barbell bench, but we've already mastered the 100lb dumbbells. What do we do now? Is it too late for us to ever use dumbbells again? Seriously though, maybe you should try barbell bench if you want to master the 100lb dumbbells too. But fyi, you will have to bench more than 200lbs.

Quote:
What's so wrong with mastering overall upper body strength and then moving back to the benchpress for strength work?
You haven't mastered shit even if you can do 100lb dumbbells.
red_sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #25112
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

The barbell is upper echelon and always will be when it comes to strength. Louie69 brought up a good point regarding neutral grip db presses. That grip does not require the shoulder to externally rotate as much compared to regular barbell or dumbbell pressing; therefore, great exercise for people who have rotator cuff issues.
Posted via RS Mobile
GFitTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #25113
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Just a quick question, who's actually a kinesiology student here? Seems like a lot of you are with all the jargen thrown around. (not hating at all, i'm a kin student too)

but seriously sushi, there is no point at all in arguing with any of these guys.
They are all extremely strong, and most of them can use the 100 DB's for reps and that wouldn't even be their max yet. The BB bench will give you the maximal strength that you need to progress in the DB bench. Being used to such maximal loads will make it a hell of a lot easier to progress with your DB's. It's like how doing rack pulls will help with the lock out portion of your deadlift. Getting used to that extremely heavy load from the rack pull will make it easier than just pure deadlifting
alwayslive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #25114
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

exdee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #25115
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFitTrain View Post
The barbell is upper echelon and always will be when it comes to strength. Louie69 brought up a good point regarding neutral grip db presses. That grip does not require the shoulder to externally rotate as much compared to regular barbell or dumbbell pressing; therefore, great exercise for people who have rotator cuff issues.
Posted via RS Mobile
I'm also a big fan of neutral grip dumbbell press as an alternative to close-grip bench press for those with really bad wrist pain and absolutely can't do them

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #25116
Old School RS

Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_sir View Post
That is not anyone's logic except your own. You're the one that came up with this 1:1 ratio for bench and dumbbells. 185 bench is still weak and will not get you dumbbell pressing 85's.
Is there a more generally accepted ratio of bench:dumbbell press? I can only do about 70% with dumbbells and am wondering if that is sort of in the ballpark of what most people see?

Mark
Old 03-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #25117
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Is there a more generally accepted ratio of bench:dumbbell press? I can only do about 70% with dumbbells and am wondering if that is sort of in the ballpark of what most people see?

Mark
no they are generally different exercises, no real ratio. but if you can barbell bench big, you can probably dbell bench big...the inverse is not true usually
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #25118
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,360 Times in 315 Posts
I got a lacrosse ball and have been doing hamstring and adductor releases/massages....

Best investment! LOL! No back pain, improved squat depth. Even my knee feels better! Highly recommend to everyone!
broken_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #25119
I bringith the lowerballerith

how much can u guys front squat compared to regular squat? dam is it ever hard on your core..
PK6o4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #25120
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:

Mark
Ratio as in how much time you should invest in either or? Or ratio as in what you strength levels should be for each?

If the latter, it's really subjective to each person and their situation.. When I was plateauing at 2 plate bench press, I went into heavy dumbbell pressing and went from 75lbs to 110lbs. Went back to barbell benching and still stayed at 2 plates. However, within 2 weeks I was able to bring it up to 255. So there was a period where my dumbbell bench was in fact higher than my barbell bench, but because there was such a strong transition, it didn't take long for my barbell bench to catch up and well exceed my dumbbell bench.

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #25121
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_arrow View Post
I got a lacrosse ball and have been doing hamstring and adductor releases/massages....

Best investment! LOL! No back pain, improved squat depth. Even my knee feels better! Highly recommend to everyone!
$5 well spent!
Posted via RS Mobile
L0uie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #25122
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:

Mark
Yep, like sid and instant said, no real ratio. But if I have to come up with a number based on what I've seen I'd say it's closer to 80-85% for most people. 70% isn't too far off, might just need a little more practice. To me, dumbbells are like riding a bike. A bit awkward at first, but once you get the hang of heavy dumbbells, you never forget it.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #25123
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK6o4* View Post
how much can u guys front squat compared to regular squat? dam is it ever hard on your core..
Front squats are so damn hard. I can probably back squat 150lbs more than I front squat. If I had more practice, I think I can lower the gap to maybe 100lbs, but I jumped into front squats too fast. Instead easing into them I just threw in 3 sessions of heavy front squatting one week; ended up irritating my hip flexors a ton and I've had to stop.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #25124
J.C

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
i love you red_sir nohomo
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #25125
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,186 Times in 239 Posts
Speaking of bench press and shoulder issue, when I do both close grip and regular bench press, my right shoulder clicks. Anyone know how to fix this? My should also clicks when I'm doing lateral raises.

edit: @alwayslive, I am a Kin student.
is350 is offline   Reply With Quote