REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 12-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
Getting academic paper published

Has anybody here gotten one published and want to give me a basic run down of it? A TA of mine suggested I go ahead with it after reading one of my expositions, so I gave it to a couple former TAs in the same faculty and they all think I should go for it. The problem is, I have no idea where to start.

Now I'm sure there are at least a small handful of RSers who have had papers published, given the expansive knowledge people on this board have (when they want to).

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Normally, you just send it into the journal of your choice and from there, there are 3 options they give (technically 4 but one of them seldom occurs):

1. Publish without revision
2. Publish with minor revision
3. Publish with major revision
4. Not currently interested

You'll likely get peer reviewed and will have to go back and forth between you and 3 other reviewers to get your article up to par then back to the journal for actual publishing.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I've had a paper published, it's an amazing feeling to have your work given that level of recognition.

The process CRS described is exactly what I experienced; my professor submitted my paper to a journal, they informed her they were interested in publishing it pending a number of revisions, I completed the revisions and they still weren't satisfied, I made further revisions, it was accepted and published.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies.
So I take it anybody can make a submission? Or would the best way be to approach a professor and have him/her submit on my behalf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I've had a paper published, it's an amazing feeling to have your work given that level of recognition.
exactly, feels pretty great
Old 12-08-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture_Vulture View Post
Thanks for the replies.
So I take it anybody can make a submission? Or would the best way be to approach a professor and have him/her submit on my behalf?

exactly, feels pretty great
I would approach a prof first. Just because a few TAs recommended that you publish isn't quite the same as having a person with a doctorate on the subject matter recommend you.

Either way, it could not hurt asking a prof to read and advise you. Most profs I know would be more than willing to help you through the entire process.

*Side note: MindBomber, y u no answering my tile question in Home Renovation forum.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #6

Great, thanks for the advice. That's all I wanted to know.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Definitely talk to a professor first. He/she may have some insides to the journal you are wanting it published in. I knew a couple of professors in my department that sat on the reviewing boards of some academic journals.

The prof could also review and add something to your paper and you guys could publish it together which may help your chances if he/she is recognized in the field.

I hear it is a long process.

Good luck!!
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,336 Times in 198 Posts
First you gotta decide which journal you want to publish to. On journals you are not too familiar you can use isiknowledge.com to assess their quality. Afterwards the journal will sometimes ask you to pick your own reviewers, or who you dont want to be your reviewers, of your paper.

After submission it usually takes 2-6 months before you get your first feedback... accepted, revised or rejected as mentioned above. In practice, accepted doesn't happen often.

After revising, you should write a letter to the editors and thank him/her etc. Also you gotta remember to write a separate doc to address the reviewers and respond to ALL of their comments. Never say the reviewers are wrong... make sure you gathered enough supporting docs before you want to 'reject' the criticism.

One helpful hint is to look at the criticism and then reply the next day... the worst thing you can do is reply when you are angry or upset. Also do not submit the same material to two or more publications simultaneously. They may impose harsh penalties on you and ban you.
Zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote