REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 12-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
RS controls my life!

cleaning gutters from roof top

So recently moved from a townhouse where (maintenace was covered) to a house.
As i was hanging christmas lights the other day, i peaked in the gutters and noticed lots of leaves and ice in them. Now i know i have to get back up there asap and clean them out.
The front of the house i can get to with my 22 foot ladder. The back and side of the house i need at least 30 foot ladder. But the back is a mushy yard and not sure if an extension ladder would stand safely in that yard. So i am contemplating climbing up and walking on the roof, all crawling around the house to clean out the gutters. I figure it will be faster too than going up and down a ladder 20 times.
Question is...is it safe to walk on the shingle roof and not damage the shingles? Aside from the danger of falling from the top?
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
As long as you don't have cedar shingles or something like that walking on the existing ones is fine. Be careful!

Berz out.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
Asphalt shingles are OK if not so cold they crack, not too likely around here. I use a leaf blower to avoid bellying about the roof, but that may be a little hard on the lights.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

i think they are asphalt, or fiberglass duroid type of shingle. I figure i'll attempt it once it warms up just a little. If you guys don't hear back from me, that means i've fallen
Old 12-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
The weather looks to be above freezing for the next 24 hours, the shingles should be OK. There may be tie-offs on the ridge to anchor fall arrest gear to.
Good luck.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote