REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   bump on gums? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/659556-bump-gums.html)

UBC 12-14-2011 01:43 PM

bump on gums?

so i woke up this morning to find a bump on my gums above my cuspid. its white and all around it is kinda reddish. it looks like a zit and is white in the middle.

first of all, there's no pain and soreness only occurs if i touch it.

i've searched online and everyone says its an abscess. though, i cant be sure simply because the internet is full of trolls trying to scare people. root canals seem quite a stretch, especially with the grotesque pictures i've seen of abscesses. id like to doubt this possibility, however it still remains as one.

secondly, my thought(and hope) is that it might just be because i've eaten a lot of oily foods recently. could this be just another one of those bodily functions where the excess oils or something is being pushed out? i have definitely had this happen to me before when i ate a ton of oily foods. but back then, it was located around my wisdom teeth. so again, i can't be sure.
(by a lot of oily foods, it may even be taken as excessive. its exam month and my eating habits haven't been of the greatest. i finished a whole bag of chips the other day and several pizza pops)

in general though, i believe i'm average healthy. i exercise twice a week at least and i'm not on any medication. i haven't had any problems for a very long time.

being the huge chicken i am, i've already scheduled an appointment. but the only time my dentist had was on friday, so until then i'd like to try and figure out if this is truly serious or just a passing event.

TheNewGirl 12-14-2011 02:28 PM

It could just be a canker sore. Rinse with salt water until your appointment and see if that helps.

If it doesn't go away by Fri you should be seeing him any how to get checked for an abscess or for other issues (lesions that don't heal in the mouth can be the first signs of oral cancers, which are important to identify early).

twitchyzero 12-14-2011 07:26 PM

looks like a zit...white pus in the middle
it's likely to be a fistula

no it's not your body's reactions to eating oily foods....your gums do not behave the same way your skin does.

fistula are almost always link to some sort of abcess. If you go to the dentist they'll just pop it for like how you would normally pop a zit. They will however likely put root canal filling then take an x-ray to see where the abcess is located.

and it's not as bad as it sounds btw

Fistula: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

UBC 12-19-2011 04:20 PM

turns out its a canker. what a relief.

just for future reference, ill type out what my dentist told me.

a fitsula/abscess can be differentiated from a canker by the level of pain. an abscess tooth is always accompanied by immense pain and is not limited to that one area. in fact, if it is an abscess tooth, the tooth itself will have a throbbing pain as well and is extremely sensitive to contact of any sort. though a canker can cause pain, it can not compare with that of an abscess. first of all, cankers last about a week or so if it is flushed daily with salt water. secondly, the pain that cankers cause is limited to the area that the canker is present in. according to my dentist, cankers occur mostly due to stress and lack of sleep (but that doesn't mean it will occur just because you're stressed out). his explanation seems plausible since the week that i got it was finals week for me.

i hope anyone else with a similar problem can benefit from this.