REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 12-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,066 Times in 548 Posts
High mileage bikes

So in a couple of months I'm going to put my GS500F back up for sale so I can upgrade to a sport bike (600/750). I've been looking around different dealers right now and most of them have either really new and expensive bikes (out of my budget) or slightly older but high mileage bikes (within my budget) I know that a car, with proper maintenance, can last for well over 100,000km but I don't know how well bikes last with mileage around the 20,000 - 35,000 km mark. With proper maintenance, are high mileage bikes reliable?
Advertisement
vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #2
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
I would say mileage is deceiving, I would be more concerned how they were ridden. An example would be a sport bikes that's been tracked for 10,000 km versus an older sport bikes that's been used as a commuter everyday. Although the sport bikes are made to go fast, redlining it so often can take its toll. I would rather choose the higher mileage commuter bike.

I have a friend with a 2001 Yamaha R6 with 80,000 km (lots of trips down to the states, where you're actually able to ride) and it's still running strong. I have another friend with a 2005 GSXR600 with 24,000 km (mostly track) and you can tell it's been ridden hard.

As long as you can roll up your sleeves and handle some DIY work, a higher mileage bike shouldn't be a deal breaker if the price is right. Proceed with the proper inspections with maintenance records and you should be fine.

Mileage is important, how that mileage was accomplished is just as important.

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion

Last edited by NLY; 12-20-2011 at 11:58 PM.
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I would say mileage is deceiving, I would be more concerned how they were ridden. An example would be a sport bikes that's been tracked for 10,000 km versus an older sport bikes that's been used as a commuter everyday. Although the sport bikes are made to go fast, redlining it so often can take its toll. I would rather choose the higher mileage commuter bike.

I have a friend with a 2001 Yamaha R6 with 80,000 km (lots of trips down to the states, where you're actually able to ride) and it's still running strong. I have another friend with a 2005 GSXR600 with 24,000 km (mostly track) and you can tell it's been ridden hard.

As long as you can roll up your sleeves and handle some DIY work, a higher mileage bike shouldn't be a deal breaker as long as the price is right. Proceed with the proper inspections and have maintenance records and you should be fine.

Mileage is important, how that mileage was accomplished is just as important.
I agree with you completely. It's seldom that you are purchasing a used vehicle and know exactly how that mileage was obtained... So it's usually safer to get one with lower miles, unless you know the owner and the bike's history on a personal level.
tegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #4
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegz View Post
I agree with you completely. It's seldom that you are purchasing a used vehicle and know exactly how that mileage was obtained... So it's usually safer to get one with lower miles, unless you know the owner and the bike's history on a personal level.
Very true, its scary because there are so many people that red line the bikes when they purchase them brand new, WELL before the breaking in stage is complete. Again, it's their money and bike so whatever floats their boat.

Unless its a close friend (even then it's not bulletproof) or family, I would assume the bike was ridden how it was supposed to be ridden......to the extreme!

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:47 AM   #5
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
^

my bike was electronically limited to 8000rpm for the first 1000km just to prevent people from screwing up the break-in process. the thing scared the shit out of me when i actually redlined it the first time though hahaha
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Modern bikes have no problems making it 60-70 or even 100k kms. It really comes down to who owned it, and if the maintenance was done properly. I've had trade ins with 10k come in that are absolutely beat to shit and also a BMW R1200GS with 160,000kms that looked like it had never been ridden.

What bikes are you looking at in particular?

I sold bikes at various dealerships in Van for a few years. I can try to be of some assistance.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
^

my bike was electronically limited to 8000rpm for the first 1000km just to prevent people from screwing up the break-in process. the thing scared the shit out of me when i actually redlined it the first time though hahaha
The S1000RR is the nuttiest bike I've ever ridden. Did you get it at Valk or Pacific, who was your sales guy? I've worked at both.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #8

^

got both of my bikes from stewart. gixxer when he was at RMS, and s1k at Valk!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Modern bikes have no problems making it 60-70 or even 100k kms. It really comes down to who owned it, and if the maintenance was done properly. I've had trade ins with 10k come in that are absolutely beat to shit and also a BMW R1200GS with 160,000kms that looked like it had never been ridden.

What bikes are you looking at in particular?

I sold bikes at various dealerships in Van for a few years. I can try to be of some assistance.
thanks for the info, i've been looking at the blue zx6r that pacific motorsports has, the silver '07 zx6r that carter motorsports has, and the black ;07 gsxr750 that Holeshot has.

However first I need to sell my bike privately before getting another one and i've gotten some trade-in quotes from various dealers and it's just too low for my liking.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #10

^

im a little biased, but having ridden both of those bikes i would definitely recommend the gixxer. comfortable as hell and very easy to ride. one thing that has always bugged me about kawis is the fit and finish, or lack of in this case. cheap looking plastic pieces everywhere and the switches and dials are never really up to par with the competition. take a look at both of the bikes and you'll know what i mean. good luck!
Old 12-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
^

im a little biased, but having ridden both of those bikes i would definitely recommend the gixxer. comfortable as hell and very easy to ride. one thing that has always bugged me about kawis is the fit and finish, or lack of in this case. cheap looking plastic pieces everywhere and the switches and dials are never really up to par with the competition. take a look at both of the bikes and you'll know what i mean. good luck!
yea, from the research that i've done online, the gsxr is my first choice in bikes
Old 12-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #12
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Check em out both in person, and keep an eye out for other options too! Used to have a gsxr, nothing about it made me unhappy, but I always wish I had gotten an R6 instead.
tegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:09 PM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
I bought mine with 25K kms, and this year I'll roll over 40K and still going strong with just basic maintenance.

Just like cars hitting 150K+ kms and requiring expensive maintenance like the timing belt, bikes hitting 50K+ kms start needing expensive maintenance like valve adjustments.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #14

Dont buy a Kawi.

You'll thank me later.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #15
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Why not? What would you recommend then?
Old 01-07-2012, 01:35 AM   #16
maxxboost

I agree what fellow RS are saying. A higher millage bike does not mean it is not good.
But remember that the bike has to be properly maintained and the maintenance must be done. Like Taylor said, 50k+ needs extensive work. I'll add to that by saying the suspension, chain, gearing components along with other components of the bike needs work because those parts also hit 50K+ and might have signs of wear and tear. Furthermore, rubber seals such as suspension seals might potentially dry out and crack over time (if you plan to buy an older bike).

I've purchased 2 used bikes before and i have no regrets. Just got to do some research and make sure you have money a side for any unexpected events.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #17

^

very true though. forks go out pretty quickly if the owner is popping 12 o clock wheelies all the time. my friend's bike that he bought with only 18,000km had leaking forks from all the abuse the suspension took
Old 01-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #18
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Wow! I guess back then i had another account.
I don't even remember anymore. LOL.
maxxxboost is offline   Reply With Quote