REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

ever seen an axial engine?

Duke Engines – 5 Cylinder 4 Stroke 3 Injector Valveless Axial Engine
seems like a pretty neat idea. and looks like it could be a replacement for a rotary. I guess it is like a rotary without the apex seal problem
Advertisement
1995 Nissan 240sx SOLD
2009 Saturn Astra
some_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,719 Times in 392 Posts
Heres the video so people don't have to click

That is awesome. The only problem I can see is changing some of the bearings? PLus they never said anything about RPM's. I wonder what it revs to?
1982 TE72
1988 5.0
1990 S13 Coupe
2006 Mazda B4000 4x4
1987 Ae86 Coupe
1988 Cressida Wagon
1985 Cressida 7m Swap
1987 Ae86 Hatch
1989 FC
cressydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
14:1 compression on 91 octane, and the video shows 50 lb-ft at 1500 RPM, looks pretty cool.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

no power figures were posted. and I wonder how close it would be for an engine like this to reach a production car. the engine size doesn't seem to be any smaller than a normal 4-banger.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_punk View Post
Duke Engines – 5 Cylinder 4 Stroke 3 Injector Valveless Axial Engine
seems like a pretty neat idea. and looks like it could be a replacement for a rotary. I guess it is like a rotary without the apex seal problem
from the looks of it there still are apex seals but used in another location, where the top of the cylinder seals up with all the different ports, it'll need sealing from intake port to compression to ignition etc etc.

also, the cylinder walls move along with the piston in a lateral way, which means if its not in perfect sync, the piston rings will gouge into the cylinder walls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,174 Times in 184 Posts
interesting.
325isMSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

14:1
MK-EK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,462 Times in 390 Posts
oh my....
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport View Post
I sold my Yaris 5 years ago, and seriously, IT IS better than your shit box civics. The mods I have for that car is probably worth more than your whole self-worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joreus View Post
After spending some time reading through this thread, I now know how to give a killer blowjob. Thanks revscene.

2005 richmond transportation device
nack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:50 AM   #9
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,021 Posts
Interesting concept, but if I understand the video correctly not, IMO, useful in current automotive uses, especially doesn't seem like a good "sports" engine. If the cylinders all rotate as the engine revs, I see a very unresponsive engine because of the huge rotating mass.

I do however see its uses with something like the Chevy Volt with its low vibration and most likely a narrow but high power band/efficiency range.

Prototype stage. Even if it were useful, it'll be many many years away from actual commercial deployment.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #10
RS controls my life!

Thanked 4,186 Times in 392 Posts

1989Toyota Supra-Garage Queen
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs- R.I.P
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX wagon- work in progess
tee-tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Interesting concept, but if I understand the video correctly not, IMO, useful in current automotive uses, especially doesn't seem like a good "sports" engine. If the cylinders all rotate as the engine revs, I see a very unresponsive engine because of the huge rotating mass.

I do however see its uses with something like the Chevy Volt with its low vibration and most likely a narrow but high power band/efficiency range.

Prototype stage. Even if it were useful, it'll be many many years away from actual commercial deployment.
Pretty sure it has less rotating mass, and in the video as I recall they say it has better throttle response.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 12-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #12
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
There's always some company coming up with the "next" new engine design. And they all end up going nowhere. They always list the "advantages" their engines have but conveniently ignore the disadvantages. Those disadvantages are usually what keep their ideas from going into production as they are too difficult to overcome.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Pretty sure it has less rotating mass, and in the video as I recall they say it has better throttle response.
I might have missed it, maybe I need to watch it again. But I still don't see how its less rotating mass as either the cylinders have to rotate around, or the heads have to rotate, or both. Either ways it looks like A LOT of rotating mass. Plus, if the heads have to rotate, how the hell does the fuel get injected as you would have a clusterfuck of hoses and wires that have to rotate with it.
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-26-2011, 11:07 PM   #14

watch the goddamn video first...
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #15
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,719 Times in 392 Posts
Quote:
I might have missed it, maybe I need to watch it again. But I still don't see how its less rotating mass as either the cylinders have to rotate around, or the heads have to rotate, or both. Either ways it looks like A LOT of rotating mass. Plus, if the heads have to rotate, how the hell does the fuel get injected as you would have a clusterfuck of hoses and wires that have to rotate with it.
The head does not rotate. Nothing rotates except for the crankshaft. The pistons move up and down moving the reciprocater in a wave like motion turing the crankshaft.

The reciprocater weighs less than a crankshaft. They are saying significantly. So thus meaning less rotating mass.

EDIT - And when I said, "wave like motion turning the crankshaft". The duke engine crankshaft is literally a shaft (pole, rod, tube). Not your standard crankshaft from a conventional internal combustion engine.
1982 TE72
1988 5.0
1990 S13 Coupe
2006 Mazda B4000 4x4
1987 Ae86 Coupe
1988 Cressida Wagon
1985 Cressida 7m Swap
1987 Ae86 Hatch
1989 FC
cressydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #16
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
^ The cylinders are inside a "block". Look at the video and pause it between 2:51-2:53 to see that the pistons are in fact inside a circular block. This block rotates which brings the pistons past the intake & exhaust ports and the spark plug.

Sealing this "block" against the "head" as it rotates is where I see a problem (just like Wankel engines and the apex seal). However, since this engine runs a much higher compression ratio I see big problems trying to keep the rotating "block" and the pistons sealed tightly against the head, especially during the power stroke after ignition.

And how do they achieve variable valve timing? Oh yeah, they can't since there's no valves. It's difficult (near impossible) to meet modern strict emissions regulations on an engine without variable valve timing to allow for optimum cylinder filling at all RPM and load combinations due to changing resonance of the intake tract. This engine completely lacks this ability.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #17

Quote:
watch the goddamn video first...
Well if you think I didn't watch the video, can you please explain to me how the engine is delivering its intake charge and exhaust to and from the cylinders?

They specifically said no valves and the cylinders or head move past each from intake to spark to exhaust. It also specifically said 3 sparks for 5 cylinders, if nothing is rotating, can you explain to me how to spark 5 cylinders with 3 sparkplugs.

If you can do that, I'll gladly accept that fail, otherwise, take it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cressydrift View Post
The head does not rotate. Nothing rotates except for the crankshaft. The pistons move up and down moving the reciprocater in a wave like motion turing the crankshaft.

The reciprocater weighs less than a crankshaft. They are saying significantly. So thus meaning less rotating mass.

EDIT - And when I said, "wave like motion turning the crankshaft". The duke engine crankshaft is literally a shaft (pole, rod, tube). Not your standard crankshaft from a conventional internal combustion engine.
I probably have to watch it a few more times, I still don't understand how it can spark 5 cylinders with 3 sparkplugs without something rotating when you have 5 distinct cylinders. Rotaries I understand, this, either I'm understanding it wrong, or I don't understand at all. I've watched it like 3 times already too.

Last edited by EvoFire; 12-27-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
^ The cylinders are inside a "block". Look at the video and pause it between 2:51-2:53 to see that the pistons are in fact inside a circular block. This block rotates which brings the pistons past the intake & exhaust ports and the spark plug.

Sealing this "block" against the "head" as it rotates is where I see a problem (just like Wankel engines and the apex seal). However, since this engine runs a much higher compression ratio I see big problems trying to keep the rotating "block" and the pistons sealed tightly against the head, especially during the power stroke after ignition.

And how do they achieve variable valve timing? Oh yeah, they can't since there's no valves. It's difficult (near impossible) to meet modern strict emissions regulations on an engine without variable valve timing to allow for optimum cylinder filling at all RPM and load combinations due to changing resonance of the intake tract. This engine completely lacks this ability.
Thanks for that explanation, so I AM right in that something has to rotate.

I didn't see that problem of sealing before, but I understand that more now. I am having a hard time seeing how something that effective rubs against each other (head and cylinder) can hold a seal, much less maintain it over the lifetime of an engine. Rotaries are bad enough already, and the rotor doesn't even rub against the housing.
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Well if you think I didn't watch the video, can you please explain to me how the engine is delivering its intake charge and exhaust to and from the cylinders?

They specifically said no valves and the cylinders or head move past each from intake to spark to exhaust. It also specifically said 3 sparks for 5 cylinders, if nothing is rotating, can you explain to me how to spark 5 cylinders with 3 sparkplugs.

If you can do that, I'll gladly accept that fail, otherwise, take it back.

I probably have to watch it a few more times, I still don't understand how it can spark 5 cylinders with 3 sparkplugs without something rotating when you have 5 distinct cylinders. Rotaries I understand, this, either I'm understanding it wrong, or I don't understand at all. I've watched it like 3 times already too.
The pistons are moving in a circle, the intake/spark/exhaust ports are stationary. Think of it linearly, if you simplify this and unroll the circle, it's like having the piston move from cylinder 1 in a block to cylinder 4, depending on where it is in the firing process (vs having everything stay put, and cramming all the stages into each cylinder)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-28-2011, 01:04 AM   #20

Quote:
The pistons are moving in a circle, the intake/spark/exhaust ports are stationary. Think of it linearly, if you simplify this and unroll the circle, it's like having the piston move from cylinder 1 in a block to cylinder 4, depending on where it is in the firing process (vs having everything stay put, and cramming all the stages into each cylinder)
Hence where I said the cylinders are rotating in the engine. The faster the engine revs, the faster the cylinders will have to rotate, hence high rotating mass.

Perhaps I may have worded it badly, but the cylinders will still have to rotate around a center point where a crankshaft would traditionally be. That's my understanding of the engine. Perhaps the cylinders can rotate around slower than what the actual revs are, but the rpms are still linear to engine speed and my understanding of high rotating mass. I'm thinking perhaps a whole 5 cylinders and pistons and all that rotating in a circle, even if it rotates slowly is sure to hold much mass.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #21

the pistons have rotating mass in a regular engine anyways. But this way you remove the cams, cam gears, valves, and probably a decent chunk of the crank weight from the equation, and the moving cylinders look pretty thin/light in comparison.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #22
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
I think the only way you're going to see one of these engines (Or any other alternative internal combustion engine design) hit the mainstream is if they can dramatically improve thermal efficiency (IE 20% or better) beyond the existing reciprocating engine design (typically around 25-30%).

I don't see that with this axial engine.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote