REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Help With First Ever Claim

Hey guys,

My car got hit in a parking lot Friday Night. I've never had to deal with anything like this before so I am looking for some advice.

It happened in the London Drugs parking lot on Kingsway and Nelson, just east of Metrotown. I was sitting in my car, parked in a stall with the engine off. There was a white Sierra parked right behind me. As he was exiting the parking lot, his driver's side rear bumper backed up into my passenger side rear.

I got out of the car and I took down his Driver's License info.

There's a crack in my bumper about 8-10" long. It's nothing major but I still want to get it fixed.

He says he doesn't want to go through ICBC but he'll foot the bill if I take it to his friend's shop in Delta. I told him Delta is too much of an inconvenience for me because I live in Vancouver. I emphasized I didn't want to go to Delta just to get it fixed. Why should I have to go all the way there? It's not even my fault.

On ICBC's website it says all collisions should be reported within a reasonable time. I am planning to call the driver back on Monday and give him two options:

Option 1 - I take it to a shop of my choice and he foots the bill
Option 2 - I go through ICBC and take it to a shop of my choice

If he goes with Option 1 I will take my car into a shop to get an estimate before proceeding. If he does not accept Option 1 or if I cannot get a hold of him I will file with ICBC.

If I don't report it until sometime next week, is it still considered a reasonable time frame to file a claim?

Is there anything else I am missing? I also made sure to jot down notes and drew out a diagram immediately after the incident just in case I needed it for the future.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 12-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
PRINCESS

I thought all accidents had to be reported within 24h? Sorry if I'm wrong but when I was in an accident my cop kept on emphasizing that I should report it ASAP
Posted via RS Mobile
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Call up ICBC, report to them what happened. They will open up a claim# for you and you can go to a ICBC approved body shop near your area to get your car fixed. done. You don't need to do anything for the other guy as it is his fault. Don't bother organizing anything with him there is no benefit to you. Have fun. Make sure you report it soon.
-"--"-

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbo E
THIS IS MY STYLE SON
Feedback
_TiDy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
You should be calling ICBC immediately after the incident.

It's coming out of the other party's pocket regardless.

Like the post above me mentions that there's no benefits for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I would work with the person, but I'm overly nice..

These would be my conditions:

1. I get to choose the shop, I don't want his buddy potentially cutting corners to keep costs down.
2. I meet him at my chosen shop upon completion of a FIRM estimate with the agreed upon price in writing and have him pay in full before the work begins.

There are no benefits to you except maybe a bit of good charma, the safe bet is without question a standard ICBC claim.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
You have a year to file with icbc.

Sounds like small damage. Just get the car fixed thru icbc, and the other guy can either pay icbc the repair amount, or he can have his rates go up.

Either way, don't go to his buddy. In situations like these, if he wants you to repair privately, not only should it be conveniencing you, but he should also pay you extra.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies so far. I think I'm just going to file with ICBC.

As much as I'd like to accommodate the other driver, he doesn't seem to realize it will inconvenience me as well.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
File with ICBC now.

Why?

1. You don't owe him shit. He's the one who hit you. It's bad enough that you have to go to ICBC/deal with getting it repaired/be out of your own car for awhile but now you have to go out of your way to help him out? Fuck that.

2. His friend does a shitty repair job and you didn't claim it. Now you're screwed.

3. You take it to a shop of your choice and he doesn't fork out the cash. Now what? More BS?

The only other option I would give the guy is if you get a high estimate at a shop you trust and he pays you...in cash. Now you have no dec's on your car and nothing shows up against the other guy's insurance.

Otherwise, go through ICBC, get it repaired and he can pay ICBC back or let his premiums go up.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Call immediately and make a claim, it is always good to have this as a record. Call the other party and ask that they do the same.

It doesn't matter if the repairs will be through ICBC or not, a claim is a record of what happened. Since you are not at fault, I would suggest you have your ass covered.

IMO, you should b the one to choose the shop for the repairs. I would not trust his friend's shop to do a good job with your car.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #10
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

If his driving is flawed, his insurance rates desire to be higher than the rest of us. That is the purpose of the system that's been set in place.

Report to ICBC
RSXBoii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #11
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,100 Times in 259 Posts
Go through ICBC, if your bumper is cracked it will need to be replaced and painted. Not cheap, if your looking for a good body shop try Dueck in Richmond.
Previous
1977 Firebird 5.7
1987 Iroc-Z 2.5
1998 Firebird 3.8
1992 BMW 325i 2.5
1994 Dodge Ram 5.2
1996 Dodge Ram 5.9
1996 Cavalier Z22 2.2
1997 Mustang Cobra 4.6
firebird79_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #12
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

go thru ICBC and get a claim number and it will be an open claim, he already admitted guilt on his part so if he wants to settle privately after, then ICBC will not have a record on the fix, it is just to protect yourself, rmb in the real world, DTA, dont trust anybody!
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #13
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Just do ICBC. He can still foot the bill later. Gotta protect yourself!
Posted via RS Mobile
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #14
retired

The problem with not going through ICBC is this. Lets say you bring it to a shop of your choice. They give you an estimate, and the other party agrees on it.

What happens when they take off your bumper and they find more damage? (You'd be surprise how much can be damage from a small hit. Trust me, I work in a body shop, I see this happen all the time).

If you were to call back the other guy and tell him you need another $xx. He will most likely tell you to fly a kite.

Safest for both parties, just report it. Go through the claims process (and it is relatively easy, especially if the claim is express qualified, so you might not even have to to the claim center). Get your car fixed, and be on your way.

If he doesn't want his rates to go up, he can pay ICBC back. Less headaches for you.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #15
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
you're lucky you were in your car, otherwise you'd probably be out 300-500 for the hit and run deductible. from the way this sounds, i highly doubt he'd stick around or leave a note

but like..every other person has said, save yourself the grief and report it
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #16
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
dont wait til next week... lol thats what the other wants...

within 48hrs is how long i would wait.. even then, its still a long time.. Did you take pictures of the damages on the van? if not, thats what you should have done... If he gets any damages fixed before you reported him, then its your loss..
Old 01-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #17

Thanks for the tips... I ended up reporting it to ICBC.

What will happen if the other party doesn't report the crash? I asked ICBC that on the phone and all they said was they would wait and see if he does... pretty useless if you ask me.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #18
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
They may contact the driver and insruct him to go to a claim centre so they can inspect his vehicle. They will check if the damage for his vehicle matches the damage to yours.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #19

Why not report it?

1. You lose nothing
2. He can buy back his claim (if he wants) and retain his claims-free discount.
Posted via RS Mobile
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #20
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
Thanks for the tips... I ended up reporting it to ICBC.

What will happen if the other party doesn't report the crash? I asked ICBC that on the phone and all they said was they would wait and see if he does... pretty useless if you ask me.
They'll send him a letter saying his car was involved in an accident and other details. Not sure what happens after if he doesn't report it.
Posted via RS Mobile
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #21
Banned By Establishment

Go through ICBC.
If the other driver tries to contacting you, tell them you filed a claim and that is the end of it. Also tell your adjuster that he called.
Keep it as convenient for you as possible b/c i was his fault.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #22
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
Same thing happened to me but it was my motorcycle. Guy backs into my motorcycle, bike drops on concrete. The person offers to do this outside of court. I get the damaged accessed and email it to him and he disappears for a week. I gave him 24hrs notice before contacting icbc. No reply. Go through icbc they get the damaged accessed. Now if he doesn't want his insurance to go up he can buy out the claim. I had a witness too, so it made my claim super easy.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote