REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Red Light Camera Ticket Dispute

So I think I got flashed by a red light camera a couple nights ago.

It was definitely not your typical running the red light situation.

This was at the intersection of Willingdon and Kingsway. I was southbound on Willingdon, in the left turn lane to go east on Kingsway.

It was an advanced green turn signal, and when it turned yellow as I got near the intersection, I slowed down and intended to wait before turning left.

Problem is there about a two second delay between the advanced turn signal going red and the regular traffic light going green.

It was in these two seconds that I coasted into the intersection to wait to turn left.

Yeah, I know it's dumb, and I should have come to a full stop before the intersection, waited the two seconds for the regular traffic light to go green before pulling up into the intersection to wait to turn left, but I think subconsciously I'm used to the reguar traffic light going green immediately when the turn signal goes red, or sometimes even before it does.

I don't know if the signals are programmed different between Burnaby and Vancouver, but I know in Vancouver, at least SOME intersections has no delay between the turn signal going red and the regular traffic light turning green. If I was at any of those intersections, it wouldn't be possible to get a red light camera ticket. I know for a fact that the intersection of 41st and Cambie is like this.

I know by the book, I violated MVA 129(1).

Quote:
129 (1) Subject to subsection (2), when a red light alone is exhibited at an intersection by a traffic control signal, the driver of a vehicle approaching the intersection and facing the red light must cause it to stop before entering the marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if there is no marked crosswalk, before entering the intersection, and subject to the provisions of subsection (3), must not cause the vehicle to proceed until a traffic control signal instructs the driver that he or she is permitted to do so.
But I'm just wondering if there's any leg for me to stand on to appeal this ticket. Again, I didn't "run" a red light, but I understand I technically entered the intersection while the light was red. Surely the intent of the red light cameras isn't for a situation like mine. I'm thinking I would try my luck and see if the judge would take into consideration the fact that my action wasn't a dangerous one.

What do you think?
Advertisement
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
I think you might wait and see if you even get a ticket. Someone may look at it, realize you were in the clear, and dismiss it right there.

I've also seen the cameras go off for someone turning right without stopping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
I think you might wait and see if you even get a ticket. Someone may look at it, realize you were in the clear, and dismiss it right there.
Hopefully the officer reviewing the footage will realize that no crime really took place here.

This is the trouble with inconsistent light timing practices at intersections. Many advanced left turn lights will simply stop flashing green and permit you to enter the intersection, yet some will turn red before going back to green again allowing you to creep forwards.

Then again, this sort of inconsistency is a boon to photo enforcement because drivers expect one thing then get stung.

Quote:
I've also seen the cameras go off for someone turning right without stopping.
So they should.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Hopefully the officer reviewing the footage will realize that no crime really took place here.

This is the trouble with inconsistent light timing practices at intersections.
Which I'm sure is a large part of WHY they're human-reviewed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Which I'm sure is a large part of WHY they're human-reviewed.
You'd hope so...

Texas: Red Light Camera Tickets a Man Running a Green Light

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Did it only flash once? If it did then you probably won't get a ticket. It flashes once when you go into the intersection on a red and again when you leave. If you went in on a red but stayed in the intersection, it wouldn't have a second picture showing you leaving (ie. running through the intersection on a red).
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #7
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
the cameras go off for someone turning right without stopping.
That is the same as running the red light, isn't it? Going is straight or turning is the same.

These people, which is like 99% of Vancouver drivers, should be ticketed. The same bullshit running the stop sign. Full stop and go, not slow down and go.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:42 AM   #8
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
my friend got flashed at a red light making a right turn when he came to a full stop as he had to wait for traffic to go by before he could turn right. two flashes but never received a ticket. this happened about a year ago

just wait til you get a ticket first. may not even get one
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:02 AM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul
I didn't "run" a red light, but I understand I technically entered the intersection while the light was red.
So you "walked" the red?

At some on-demand intersections, that green arrow goes away shorter than the opposing traffic.. and you have to wait as the cross-traffic already has the green.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #10
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
when it turned yellow as I got near the intersection, I slowed down and intended to wait before turning left.

Another thing to remember...it is illegal to enter an intersection on a yellow light as well as a red light. As you slowly approached the advance turn light and it turned yellow, you were not permitted to go any further. You must stop before the intersection and wait for either a green light that will permit you to legally turn left while yielding to oncoming traffic...or wait until you get a fresh green advance turn arow/light. Your problem was not the red light, it was the green that turned yellow. You are only permitted to enter an intersection on a yellow light if it turns yellow when you are at a point past where you cannot stop safely.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #11
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
Did it only flash once? If it did then you probably won't get a ticket. It flashes once when you go into the intersection on a red and again when you leave. If you went in on a red but stayed in the intersection, it wouldn't have a second picture showing you leaving (ie. running through the intersection on a red).
It did flash twice. I think my rear bumper was just passed the intersection line when I stopped.

Quote:
I'm definitely hoping that I won't see the ticket in the mail.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #12
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
when it turned yellow as I got near the intersection, I slowed down and intended to wait before turning left.

Another thing to remember...it is illegal to enter an intersection on a yellow light as well as a red light. As you slowly approached the advance turn light and it turned yellow, you were not permitted to go any further. You must stop before the intersection and wait for either a green light that will permit you to legally turn left while yielding to oncoming traffic...or wait until you get a fresh green advance turn arow/light. Your problem was not the red light, it was the green that turned yellow. You are only permitted to enter an intersection on a yellow light if it turns yellow when you are at a point past where you cannot stop safely.
If you read my original post, I know all of this. I said:

Quote:
Yeah, I know it's dumb, and I should have come to a full stop before the intersection, waited the two seconds for the regular traffic light to go green before pulling up into the intersection to wait to turn left, but I think subconsciously I'm used to the regular traffic light going green immediately when the turn signal goes red, or sometimes even before it does.
Here's a question... what if timing on the lights was such that the straight through traffic light turns green before the advanced left turn traffic light goes red? Do you still have to stop before the intersection when the advanced left turn traffic light turns yellow?
Old 12-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #13
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Keep in mind not all camera boxes actually have camera's in them and often times the flash you see is just the reaction of the system without there having a recording devise. I can't remember how many actual red light camera's they have in operation but it's not as many as you think.

Berz out.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:33 AM   #14
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I live around that area, and drive by pretty often. Honestly that happens quite a bit, or atleast I've seen it happen to a lot of people doing the exact same thing you've done. It's even happened to me once about maybe 8-9 months ago and I still haven't received a mail from the traffic violation office... yet?

and even if you do receive a ticket, its just simpler to pay it off in the first 30 days with that discount, because most likely if you dispute it in court they will still make you pay the ticket maybe at a discounted rate? Which will end up to be around the same as if you payed it off within the first 30 days.

this red light camera ticket is not the same as a typical red light ticket if you were pulled over by an officer, it does not give you any point fines, since the camera cannot prove who was operating the vehicle at the time of incident. Thus the ticket will be mailed to whomever the vehicle owner is with the amount fine of $167(I believe...).
mqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Intersection safety cameras (ISC) *locations subject to change - Google Maps

According to this, there is over 140 red light cameras across BC. Not sure how many of them actually have a recording device but they will all flash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:46 AM   #16
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
If you read my original post, I know all of this. I said:

Here's a question... what if timing on the lights was such that the straight through traffic light turns green before the advanced left turn traffic light goes red? Do you still have to stop before the intersection when the advanced left turn traffic light turns yellow?
The question really is....what colour was the light before you entered the intersection? If it was green facing you then you can enter the intersection. If it is yellow or red then you are breaking the law if you enter. If it turns yellow and you are so close that you cannot stop safely before entering the intersection then you may proceed if safe. If the advance green turns to yellow before you enter and you are able to safely stop, then you must stop. The fact that it may turn green a few seconds later does not excuse you from obeying the law and stopping. The advance/protected turn means you may turn safely, protected from oncoming straight thru traffic. When it turns yellow it is telling you that this is no longer the situation and now you must stop ( light is yellow) and yield to oncoming traffic if you attempt a left turn across their path.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:15 AM   #17
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
The question really is....what colour was the light before you entered the intersection? If it was green facing you then you can enter the intersection. If it is yellow or red then you are breaking the law if you enter. If it turns yellow and you are so close that you cannot stop safely before entering the intersection then you may proceed if safe. If the advance green turns to yellow before you enter and you are able to safely stop, then you must stop. The fact that it may turn green a few seconds later does not excuse you from obeying the law and stopping. The advance/protected turn means you may turn safely, protected from oncoming straight thru traffic. When it turns yellow it is telling you that this is no longer the situation and now you must stop ( light is yellow) and yield to oncoming traffic if you attempt a left turn across their path.
That is not what I asked you.

I'm asking you what if the the advanced turn signal turns yellow but the straight through light is already green. Do you have to stop before the intersection?
Old 12-31-2011, 11:46 AM   #18
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
^You can't go but you're allowed to enter the intersection and sit there. The green advance turn signal only indicate your right of way.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:29 PM   #19
THEY HATE US CUZ THEY AIN'T US

Quote:
Originally Posted by - kT View Post
my friend got flashed at a red light making a right turn when he came to a full stop as he had to wait for traffic to go by before he could turn right. two flashes but never received a ticket. this happened about a year ago

just wait til you get a ticket first. may not even get one
yeah, i've ran through stop light by accident once or twice and got flashed. it was about 6 months ago or longer. i still havent receive any tickets yet. *knock on wood*
you might as well just wait for the mail then go from there.
exhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:55 PM   #20
RS Peace Officer

Quote:

I'm asking you what if the the advanced turn signal turns yellow but the straight through light is already green. Do you have to stop before the intersection?

And I answered you that you must stop for a yellow light if you can stop safely. If the GREEN advance turn light turns YELLOW you must NOT continue into the intersection...because you no longer have a GREEN LIGHT. If the yellow light disappears and is replaced by a green straight through light before you reach the intersection then you do not have to stop. Hope that clarifies things?
Old 01-01-2012, 05:04 AM   #21
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Zulutango... still serving RS at 2355 hrs! a diehard!
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #22
RS Peace Officer

It was either that or face New year's Eve!
Old 01-02-2012, 01:16 AM   #23
xxx

Quote:

This is how I see it. I'm not sure if it's correct in the eyes of the law but if the light is red and the arrow is yellow I would slow down and wait behind the line. If the light turns green while the arrow is yellow, I would slow down but enter the intersection and wait.

This makes perfect sense to me.
I've seen assholes try to beat the advance signal by turning even after the arrow has disappeared (but the light is still red --in other words, oncoming traffic still has the left turn + thru traffic is green for them)
Hope these jackasses get tickets for doing this.
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #24
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
If the yellow light disappears and is replaced by a green straight through light before you reach the intersection then you do not have to stop. Hope that clarifies things?
That is the specific answer I was looking for.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #25
The RS Freebie guru

So how soon would you expect to receive the ticket in the mail after the incident?

I haven't gotten anything so far, and it's been almost a month...