REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Opinion: 2005-6 M3 vert vs 2007-8 335ci

I'm looking for a new car and have noticed that I could get a 2005-6 M3 convertible for about the same price as a 2007-8 335ci. Performance is about the same, and I think both look fantastic and would be fun to mod. So I'm looking for reasons why to buy one or the other.

I am hesitant on the 335ci cause its the first couple years of a new model and new engine. I got bit by this with my current car, tons of problems that were sorted out in later years. The 335 is not only a new platform, its a new engine and new hardtop convertible.

I've heard bad things about the M3, rusted out sub frames, throwing rods through the block, ... yet am not familiar enough to know if all this was sorted out for the last few years of the e46. Can anyone chime in?

I work on my cars, so how hard is it to work on each? The engine bay of the 335 looks like it has more room to work.

Lastly, I might end up with a M3 by default, cause not many 335ci are sold with a manual transmission.
Advertisement
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
i would prolly get the 335ci....lots friends with m3's have had problems and imo it looks a bit dated now.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:56 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

i've owned both cars...if I had to do it again, I'd choose the E46 M3 all over again. The 335i was very fast and had gobs of power after some minor mods but it just wasn't anywhere near as fun as the m3 to drive. The M3 will definitely give you more reliability issues though. Especially since its the older car and likely to have higher mileage.

Reliability on the 335i is solid. The n54 engine is relatively trouble free other than the occasional HPFP and injector issue but thats covered under a 10 year warranty anyways.

If you can afford the maintenance and want a fun car, get the M3. If you want a nice car that you're just going to drive leisurely, get the 335i.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
I STILL don't get it

The problems of e9x 335i's are greatly exaggerated (usually).
My cousin has a 335i coupe from the first shipment to Vancouver, and he's at just under 90k with no problems other than the standard wear and tear and routine upkeep.
My mom has a 335i vert from 08 and she's just over 70k, with one HPFP failure (which was covered under warranty and resulted in about 2 days of down time), and nothing else other the standard wear and tear and routine upkeep.

The manual 335i's are rare, but they're out there. More often than not spec'd with the sport package; so two birds one stone. I've got the e9x manual, and I love it. The auto or SMG can't compare.

One thing to note is that while power wise, they're similar. The M3 will have a LSD, while the 335i makes due with a eLSD. If you're planning on getting a Quaife unit, and really doing some mods, then it won't really be a issue. Personally I'd go with the 335i, and do a tune + quaife + wider rims and tires. The 335i really won't compare if you keep just the eLSD though. Plus I've never been a fan of the soft top. Also a 07/08 335i if you find a certified pre-owned one, will have about 5-6 years of the extended warranty, which is good.
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
DO NOT get a 335 hardtop convertible if any local shops have done any mods to the car, especially cosmetic mods like wrapping or vinyl. I have seen so many fucked up cars I've lost track.

Example: the hardtop has a very complicated set of rubber seals to keep water out. I have seen vinyl applied to these cars where someone tried to "hide" the edge of the newly applied vinyl behind the rubber seals, damaging them and causing water leaks. Trust me, you DO NOT want to have to pay BMW to replace these without warranty (which you won't get if someone has tampered with the seals).

I shake my head when I see these cars and wonder how shops can stay in business after mutilating so many vehicles.
Posted via RS Mobile
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
always loved the e46 M3
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:56 AM   #7
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGang View Post
i would prolly get the 335ci....lots friends with m3's have had problems and imo it looks a bit dated now.
not dated, classic.

Especially in LSB.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

Thanks for the great replies guys!

I've been looking state side for a manual 335ci since there's more inventory, does anyone know if BMW Canada honours the US warranty?

My current car had a FP failure early on, glad it was covered under warranty cause it was $1000+ to fix as the FP is buried in the tanks. What's involved with the HPFP on the 335? Is BMW recalling them, or just replacing when failing? I'm surprised the 10yr warranty covers this, yet that's awesome if it does.

I don't plan on tracking it, I just want a fun fast DD and grocery getter, so the LSD vs eLSD is not much of an issue. I've dealt with having a car in the shop every other month, I don't want a repeat of that if this is my DD.

As for the e46 M3 looking dated come on, it's a classic look. I love the wide aggressive stance and find the e90 a bit plain compared to it.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
^ BMW Canada will honor warranty on US cars.

HPFP has a recall, so your car may or may not have had one replaced under the recall. Injectors are also on a recall and the dealer will scan the injectors in your car and replace ones that fall within a certain range.

If it's a folding hardtop make sure to have it checked thoroughly by a BMW dealer before you buy it (and ask them to go over the hardtop). The hardtop works great, but if it's been damaged slightly it can make for an expensive repair. I saw a 2008 335 get written off by ICBC for what seemed like a minor dent in the hardtop. Problem was the mechanism was slightly bent and can't be repaired.

$24K for a complete hardtop (you can't get replacement parts as it would be impossible to re-assemble the top and align it to factory specs - therefore it comes as a complete unit from BMW in a special crate that's almost as big as the car itself) plus labour made for a $30K+ repair, and ICBC simply wrote off a perfectly good car otherwise.

I have seen damaged tops on cars used car dealers have brought up from the US and tried to get fixed under warranty only to find out it was damaged (not covered by warranty). Can't say I feel sorry for them, since used car dealers are mostly scammers, so to see them get stuck with a car that needs that much $$$ kinda makes me smile.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
omg where do i start...

3 fuel pumps, 1 turbo, rattling wastegate actuators, injectors, a camshaft failure, and a bad linkage between the driveshaft and diff. even though it was all covered under warranty, it made it a huge pain in the ass because i'd feel like something's wrong with the car but BMW wouldn't do shit about it until it was too late (like for example, when the turbos STOPPED WORKING). and keep in mind, all this happened with no modifications done to the motor. i'm sure mine is a bit of an isolated incident but the HPFP and rattling wastegate actuators are a very common problem.
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
the m3 will handle way better than any non m.
there is no substitute for m! i would go with the m3.
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #12
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
both are nice cars, but the E46 would be a nicer drive. more driver's oriented car.

dont bother with an E46 with SMG.. it feels like driving stick on your first day.

just avoid the SMG boxed e46, and stick with the 6 speed. drives so much nicer.

you should save a little more coin for the 335is cab... twin clutch box car, more power and that exhaust..

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
omg where do i start...

3 fuel pumps, 1 turbo, rattling wastegate actuators, injectors, a camshaft failure, and a bad linkage between the driveshaft and diff. even though it was all covered under warranty, it made it a huge pain in the ass because i'd feel like something's wrong with the car but BMW wouldn't do shit about it until it was too late (like for example, when the turbos STOPPED WORKING). and keep in mind, all this happened with no modifications done to the motor. i'm sure mine is a bit of an isolated incident but the HPFP and rattling wastegate actuators are a very common problem.
sounds a lot like my car, 2x injectors, solenoid valves, steering coil spring, 2x catalytic converters, fuel gaskets, 2x fuses, 3x fuel pumps, sparkplugs, shifter linkage, bad VANOS. i swear never to get into another N54/N55 powered bmw.

Was going to get a 1M but decided against it based on my experience and went for a M3 instead.
JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:05 PM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
335i - 1 wheel drive

E46 M3 - 2 wheel drive
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-01-2012, 07:06 AM   #15
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

335 with jews bawx and diff bro!
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #16
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
omg where do i start...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaWong View Post
sounds a lot like my car, 2x injectors, solenoid valves, steering coil spring, 2x catalytic converters, fuel gaskets, 2x fuses, 3x fuel pumps, sparkplugs, shifter linkage, bad VANOS. i swear never to get into another N54/N55 powered bmw.

Was going to get a 1M but decided against it based on my experience and went for a M3 instead.
i assume the both of u have/had early MY 335?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #17
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

BMW loves your support!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaWong View Post

Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #18
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
C63.

But from what I've been told by those who know euro cars is that the way to go is m3. The engine and driveline is strong and proven, and the cars are built with the edge to performance. For the money, you can't go wrong with an M car.
Posted via RS Mobile
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #19
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,039 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
I've dealt with having a car in the shop every other month, I don't want a repeat of that if this is my DD.
Both are really sweet cars but if reliability is your concern you may want to consider something other than BMtroubleU. I love bimmers for a lot of reasons but reliability is not one of them.

My 2¢

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
CTS-V.

But from what I've been told by those who know euro cars is that the way to go is m3. The engine and driveline is strong and proven, and the cars are built with the edge to performance. For the money, you can't go wrong with an M car.
Posted via RS Mobile

/Fixed
Over9K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #21
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Both are really sweet cars but if reliability is your concern you may want to consider something other than BMtroubleU. I love bimmers for a lot of reasons but reliability is not one of them.

My 2¢
People say the same about Mercedes, Audi, ... yet its just not true. There's lots of reliable cars made by all these companies, just a few models/engines to avoid. Thus why I'm asking specifically about the 335ci as its a new platform, new engine, and new hardtop.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #22
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
I personally think the M3 is it a class of it's own. I've driven the E46 M3 down to Portland plenty of times and I love that car. The seats are extremely comfortable and there's plenty of room for the driver and occupants. Besides the flawless handling and awesome exhaust note, the car just looks beautiful.

I don't have much experience with convertibles, my impression of the coupe was excellent so having the roof down should only make it better.

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion

Last edited by NLY; 01-01-2012 at 05:48 PM.
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #23
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
What does the M3 go for? Saw this 2005 manual in the mall a few days ago for 25K.

Vancouver 2005 BMW 3 Series Vancouver Nanaimo BC 2005 BMW 3 Series M3 Cabriolet For Sale in BC
Old 01-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #24
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
335i - 1 wheel drive

E46 M3 - 2 wheel drive
Why would you jerk offs fail me....I guess the truth hurts eh?
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #25
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Why would you cry about fails.. I guess its a big deal eh?

Looks wise, i think the m3 looks better.. and looks fun to drive i bet
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote