REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-30-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,669 Times in 147 Posts
Sticky left lane accident

sorry for the long read but i am looking down at the world right now.. and i made this post in police forum which is the wrong section ><

my very first accident happened and i am still shaken up and lost on what to do. I had an accident on victoria and kingsway and i was turning left coming from metro. There were three cars on the three lanes on the opposite direction. The light was yellow and it seems like all three cars were about to stop. I busted a left and bumped into another car. It was already yellow, and red when she was in the middle already. Damage was done to my hood and bumper.

Here is the sticky part. It was not my car so the car was insured on someone elses. The other car that I hit was a rental. *I had a friend in my shotgun and a few people in her car*. A witness actually came and parked behind MY car and gave me her phone number and name on a piece of paper (a 60-70 year old lady) and she left when i tried talking to her(striaght up ignored me). She even said that she was so glad that everyone was fine but kept hinting that she had back pains and started laughing..... :suspcious: like a full bullshit laugh

I do not know if I can do a payoff on the damages if the car is rental (avis). Is there a chance that I will ever win if I had an external witness who was NOT in either cars?? I do not want to bump up the insurance of the original cars owner but is it the last resort to claim??

all fingers point at me because my bro said that there is a new law that you must be behind the line when turning a left, you can no go past the line anymore. I do not know if that is true. Another person said that i am at fault, Another one said that I can get 50/50 with witness but what is the best solution??

the last thing i want to say is that the owner of the car that is damaged is not here at the moment so I want to repair it without touching his insurance

edit: i read in another thread that no witness can be used if they are in the cars since it is considered bias?
Advertisement
sindragon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-30-2011, 11:53 PM   #2
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Seriously, with all of the Accident threads on here, you could get your answer with a simple search.

Turn on Yellow, You don't have the right of way.
Turn on Red, You still don't have the right of way. (pretty much)
You're fucked unless the other person is an idiot, and says they went through on a red.

I know someone that got hit on a stale red, and still got fucked. Prepare to bend over.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
Banned By Establishment

just a question, does anyone have an experience with a witness that bides with a left turner? how did it go out?
Old 12-31-2011, 12:16 AM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Would turn out most likely like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
Turn on Yellow, You don't have the right of way.
Turn on Red, You still don't have the right of way. (pretty much)
You're fucked unless the other person is an idiot, and says they went through on a red.
Don't really see how a witness would help? "Yea he was turning on yellow, and she was going through yellow"
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:37 AM   #5
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindragon View Post
all fingers point at me because my bro said that there is a new law that you must be behind the line when turning a left, you can no go past the line anymore. I do not know if that is true. Another person said that i am at fault, Another one said that I can get 50/50 with witness but what is the best solution??

If that is the case, then every light would need a designated signal or else everyone would be breaking the law. If you're expected to stay behind the line without a designated signal, you would either be breaking the law by passing it on a green and waiting or would be breaking the law when entering when it is red. Your "bro" is either retarded or trolling you at an inappropriate time.

Back to your case, if you turned on a yellow, you're at fault.

If you turned on a red, you're more or less good.

And witnesses cannot be a part of the accident since they have a vested interest in the outcome. Regardless, in your particular case, a witness would not actually help. In fact, it would be disadvantageous for you to have witness saying you went on a yellow as fault would be 100% on you.

If you're not looking to bump the insurance on the registered owner, you'll need to pay for damages to the rental. And on top of that, you'll need to pay to fix the car you were driving.

*Edit

Hmmm this may be a dumb question to ask right now but does the registered owner's insurance cover you?

I'm asking because you seem to be pretty new to all of this and the way that you articulate yourself only adds to the idea that you're young. I sincerely hope that you weren't breaking any restrictions you may have for your license and that the registered owner has the proper insurance that covers you.

If you've violated ANY of the things I just mentioned above, expect to get royally fucked up. And by royally, I mean completely and absolutely destroyed by ICBC and their lawyers for everything that you are worth and then some.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:56 AM   #6
Banned By Establishment

it was a yellow when i turned and red when it connected. and the 60+ year old witness can not be used incase of a claim?? (i do not know her)

yes it does look like i am some sort of at fault. It is odd that the cars in the left and right lane stopped on the yellow when it was reaching red and the midde car is passing through a red. THere was no signal on all cars. Going to see what this witness says in the morining o.O
Old 12-31-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
it was a yellow when i turned and red when it connected. and the 60+ year old witness can not be used incase of a claim?? (i do not know her)
You're 100% at fault.

It does not matter what the light was when you collided, it matters what the light was when both vehicles entered the intersection.

Unless the light was red when the oncoming vehicle entered the lane, you MUST yield to him/her. As you have stated, you and the other car entered on yellows meaning you are at fault for the accident.

You can use the old lady as witness but it doesn't help your case so I'm not entirely sure why you would use her. It would only hurt your case unless she says that the other car entered on a red.

*edit:

Looks like you edited your post after I quoted you. It doesn't look like you're "sort of at fault", it looks like you're 100% at fault. As in you and only are at fault.

But now you're saying the other car entered on red? Dude, you need to get your story straight.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:02 AM   #8
RS controls my life!

It is your responsibility to make sure that the intersection is clear before completing your left hand turn, unless it was and the car going through ran a red, which does not sound like the case with the way you describe it.
Wykydtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:08 AM   #9
Banned By Establishment

no i mean that the car that i hit would see the red in the middle of the intersection. She could of stopped easily
Old 12-31-2011, 01:26 AM   #10
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
Take some time and read this thread:
http://www.revscene.net/forums/65627...-boundary.html
Similar incident except the truck actually ran the red light instead of yellow like your situation. It's still a good read though with information that may help you out.

When you take your driving test they say to not cross the line into the intersection to make a left turn if there is a car in front of you, but if you're the only car waiting to turn left then yes you can advance a bit into the intersection.

You can offer to settle the situation with cash without going through ICBC if the other party agrees with it I think. Pay out of pocket?

Running a red is crossing the line to enter the intersection AFTER the light turned red. If the other driver would see the red light only in the middle of the intersection, then I'd assume that she crossed the line when it was still a yellow light? Both are dangerous, but you can't claim one for the other.

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:37 AM   #11
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
You're going to be 100% at fault and the insurance rates are going to affect the vehicle owner not you.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:16 AM   #12
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

You're SOL. It's almost always 100% the left-turner's fault except for very special cases. Good luck to you though.
db2 #51 - garage queen/summer daily
golf mk3 - 2016 winter beater [sold]
ae92 - 2017 spring beater
Cillu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #13
Banned By Establishment

ok called witness today and she said she ran thru a red and she was behind her car. Calling tons and tons of older experienced people and tehy are pointing to claiming it
Old 12-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #14
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitless View Post
Take some time and read this thread:
http://www.revscene.net/forums/65627...-boundary.html
Similar incident except the truck actually ran the red light instead of yellow like your situation. It's still a good read though with information that may help you out.

When you take your driving test they say to not cross the line into the intersection to make a left turn if there is a car in front of you, but if you're the only car waiting to turn left then yes you can advance a bit into the intersection.

You can offer to settle the situation with cash without going through ICBC if the other party agrees with it I think. Pay out of pocket?

Running a red is crossing the line to enter the intersection AFTER the light turned red. If the other driver would see the red light only in the middle of the intersection, then I'd assume that she crossed the line when it was still a yellow light? Both are dangerous, but you can't claim one for the other.
holy fuck that ferrari had it worst. It is the exact same situation.. except my front bumper and hood got ripped a bit

edit: and i waited way way longer so i wouldn't get hit on the passenger as i had one and bitch was speeding
Old 12-31-2011, 10:59 AM   #15
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
You should never put yourself in a position where you could potentially be 100% at fault. I would rather get honked at then turn and cause a shit-storm.

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2011, 12:04 PM   #16
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post

*edit:

Looks like you edited your post after I quoted you. It doesn't look like you're "sort of at fault", it looks like you're 100% at fault. As in you and only are at fault.

hmmm the insurance covers only people with 10+years of license. I am guessing even if i do win, i will never drive with my insurance this high and everything :/

and the shotgun person (which was the otherside of the impact) has to go to the ER due to shoulder problems.

royally fucked as you would say even if i did win
Old 12-31-2011, 12:20 PM   #17
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

lol, why were you even driving the car then if it requires the driver to have 10 years experience? ICBC MAY cover the damages but the owner will have some explaining to do and will face big premiums. Expect to pay much higher premiums when you go to insure your own car in the future as well. The witness (and i really don't see why her age matters?) might help you get some leverage, but ultimately you did not have the right of way and should have waited. The liability coverage on the vehicle you were driving should cover your passenger.
JS1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:26 PM   #18
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
This thread seems pretty open and shut.

OP
|
|
V

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.

Last edited by Graeme S; 12-31-2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Removed questionable stuff
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:27 PM   #19
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,392 Times in 180 Posts
Yeah, like everyone else said, since you turned into the intersection at yellow, then it's 100 percent your fault. NEVER make the turn unless you're 100 percent sure everyone is actually stopping. A lot of the time people will start slowing down a bit if the light change surprised them and they didn't expect it to change, and then just start gunning it through.

GoneGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:29 PM   #20
Driving around in circles

Thanked 1,370 Times in 272 Posts
Quote:
hmmm the insurance covers only people with 10+years of license. I am guessing even if i do win, i will never drive with my insurance this high and everything :/

and the shotgun person (which was the otherside of the impact) has to go to the ER due to shoulder problems.

The ten year rule should only apply to Family members in the same household. So was it a family members car?
!Kodamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:38 PM   #21
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Kodamu View Post
The ten year rule should only apply to Family members in the same household. So was it a family members car?
o really... so what if that person is not a family members, in terms of paper
Old 12-31-2011, 02:22 PM   #22
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

How about you stop playing fucking games, and just tell us who's car it is.

How old are you anyway? You sound like you're 12.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:11 PM   #23
Banned (ABWS)

LOL op your insurance is void, if you don't have 10+ years. ICBC will rape you.
doma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #24
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Kodamu View Post
Nope, applies to anyone operating the car regardless of relationship
Quote:
Originally Posted by doma View Post
LOL op your insurance is void, if you don't have 10+ years. ICBC will rape you.
+1
DOMA is correct, the insurance on the vehicle you were driving is void...i went through this 10 year driver thing with my accident...they said my insurance would be voided. ALSO you will be charged a penalty, so in my case we were saving 150$ a year or something but she multiplied it by some number and we had to pay $1920 penalty. In the end they covered the case but sent out a warning that if I ever try to commit a fraudulent act like this again they will not cover any of it...so unless the owner of the car tried fuckn with ICBC before they will cover your ass (including physio, etc.)

It does not matter whether it was a rental car, it will be treated as any other incident. You may have the option of paying for the damages so your premiums do not go up ONLY if the other party does not file an injury claim, if she does then it's not going to be worth it...

Also as stated above it is your fault (failure to yield) regardless if it was a yellow or red, unless you have a witness that says the light was red when you turned, not when u hit, your hooped. So that old lady better say you began turning when the light was red and the other car still entered the intersection or its your fault...the most you can hope for is a 50/50% fault...also until you accept responsibility of the fault they will not repair your car.

Welcome the increase in insurance around 40-55%.
In my case the surcharge applied to myself, not the owner of the vehicle...

And the witness has to be an outside 3rd party not involved in the accident, no your friend sitting in the passenger seat cannot be a witness...
Feel free to pm me if u want as I've been through this situation (left turner, at fault, 10 year driver premium)

If you have any more questions Ruthless & Associates Inc. is ready to serve you
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2011, 07:37 PM   #25
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
Nope, applies to anyone operating the car regardless of relationship

+1
DOMA is correct, the insurance on the vehicle you were driving is void...i went through this 10 year driver thing with my accident...they said my insurance would be voided. ALSO you will be charged a penalty, so in my case we were saving 150$ a year or something but she multiplied it by some number and we had to pay $1920 penalty. In the end they covered the case but sent out a warning that if I ever try to commit a fraudulent act like this again they will not cover any of it...so unless the owner of the car tried fuckn with ICBC before they will cover your ass (including physio, etc.)

It does not matter whether it was a rental car, it will be treated as any other incident. You may have the option of paying for the damages so your premiums do not go up ONLY if the other party does not file an injury claim, if she does then it's not going to be worth it...

Also as stated above it is your fault (failure to yield) regardless if it was a yellow or red, unless you have a witness that says the light was red when you turned, not when u hit, your hooped. So that old lady better say you began turning when the light was red and the other car still entered the intersection or its your fault...the most you can hope for is a 50/50% fault...also until you accept responsibility of the fault they will not repair your car.

Welcome the increase in insurance around 40-55%.
In my case the surcharge applied to myself, not the owner of the vehicle...

And the witness has to be an outside 3rd party not involved in the accident, no your friend sitting in the passenger seat cannot be a witness...
Feel free to pm me if u want as I've been through this situation (left turner, at fault, 10 year driver premium)

If you have any more questions Ruthless & Associates Inc. is ready to serve you
Thx bro! Yes, the witness is not involved in the accident, she was behind the car I hit and told me they ran a red this morning. Hope for the best! And thank god my premium goes up rather than the owner of the car. Will update with more info but how long does a claim usually take? I am also feeling neck pains todaym.. DamnPosted via RS Mobile