REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #176
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
^ good job. My quit date was May 30th, and I don't miss it. Though I must admit, I did smoke my pipe while camping. Had only one bowl and my throat was soar the next day.

Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #177
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Even if you smoke and you tried quitting but failed, that's a long shot from not even trying at all.
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #178
fd3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I don't want to be a quitter.
Posted via RS Mobile
fd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #179
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
I'm a quitter, I quit several times.
Even quit quitting but eventually quit so well I could quit quitting without resuming.
Don't give up on quitting, you can do this.
Seriously.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2013, 02:01 AM   #180
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I've quit a dozen times during my 14 years of smoking lol. My most successful run lasted 6 months. We all know its harmful but I decided that if I couldn't enjoy a good cigarette while having a cold beer on a summer day on a golf course then there probably isn't too much to live for.

I limit myself to maybe 3 a day and can go without smoking for 2-3days if needed. Trying to train myself to be a casual smoker (just during drinking and sparking). But baby is due soon so I most likely will cut down even more. I don't want my boy to be exposed to the smell/third hand smoke.

For you serious quitters out there, its really not that hard. 3 days is a good threshold and you don't need other things to help. Just separate yourself from smokers for the first month and test yourself by hanging out with smokers for the remaining 2-3 months. You're stronger than you think. If you're really set on quitting then don't even attempt to take a single puff. One puff is all it takes to remember everything good that came with smoking. If you just want to cut down, then don't smoke when you usually smoke ie, after meals, during drinking, during work breaks and just smoke when you don't need to. I find just smoking 2-3 a day keeps me at a good equilibrium now.

Side note, you will gain weight so exercise more. Food just taste better. Good luck.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #181
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKC ONE View Post

For you serious quitters out there, its really not that hard. 3 days is a good threshold and you don't need other things to help.
Awfully judgey for non-quitting social smoker.

Just sayin'....
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2013, 01:24 AM   #182
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
I've quit a dozen times during my 14 years of smoking lol. My most successful run lasted 6 months. We all know its harmful but I decided that if I couldn't enjoy a good cigarette while having a cold beer on a summer day on a golf course then there probably isn't too much to live for.

I limit myself to maybe 3 a day and can go without smoking for 2-3days if needed. Trying to train myself to be a casual smoker (just during drinking and sparking). But baby is due soon so I most likely will cut down even more. I don't want my boy to be exposed to the smell/third hand smoke.

For you serious quitters out there, its really not that hard. 3 days is a good threshold and you don't need other things to help. Just separate yourself from smokers for the first month and test yourself by hanging out with smokers for the remaining 2-3 months. You're stronger than you think. If you're really set on quitting then don't even attempt to take a single puff. One puff is all it takes to remember everything good that came with smoking. If you just want to cut down, then don't smoke when you usually smoke ie, after meals, during drinking, during work breaks and just smoke when you don't need to. I find just smoking 2-3 a day keeps me at a good equilibrium now.

Side note, you will gain weight so exercise more. Food just taste better. Good luck.
if u can go 2-3 days with out smoking and only smoke 3 a day, y the fuck do u even bother smoking? too look n act cool? r u even addicted or know what its like to be addicted? cus going 2-3 days without smoking sure doesnt sound like ur addicted to me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2013, 02:08 AM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
if u can go 2-3 days with out smoking and only smoke 3 a day, y the fuck do u even bother smoking? too look n act cool? r u even addicted or know what its like to be addicted? cus going 2-3 days without smoking sure doesnt sound like ur addicted to me...
lol serious? I'm trying to offer my opinion about quiting and all you do is fail me and try to insult me? To look and act cool was your best assumption? As I said I've been smoking for 14 years, how young do you think I am to still feel the need to "look and act cool" with a cigarette? I smoke alone most of the time, how would anyone even see and feel that I was "being cool"? Why u so mad bro, you nickin out?

Quantity has ranged from 10-15 smokes/day for over 14 years on average before and I've managed to quit for a clean 6 months until I decided that I would smoke again but control the quantity to a minimum. This streak of smoking 2-3/day has lasted for about 18 months now. I think I'm well qualified to at least give my opinion on this matter. Was I addicted before? Hell yes and wouldn't even be able to go without a smoke for more than 2 hours and would chain smoke under stress or while drinking. I cannot say that I am as addicted anymore as I was before and hence have managed to cut down to about 2-3/day just because I enjoy it. It's just like having a whisky or a beer to me. I don't need one, I just enjoy one from time to time.

I'll say it again, quitting isn't hard if you really want to quit. If you don't then no amount of motivation or drugs will help you quit. I know a lot of you on here are trying hard to quit and feel like shit. I've been thru it for 6 months and everything associated with smoking just began to suck. You become extremely agitated and question your motives every minute that you are nicking out. If you're new to quitting, try 3 days without even a puff and see how that feels, for me it was the hardest. That is why I continue to go on and off just to make sure that I don't fall back hard into smoking again. The next stage for me was 10 days, then 30, then after 3 months, I was 100% sure that I didn't need it anymore. Cold turkey. You can blame this or that but the fact is, it's all in your head and you can force it out if you keep believing that you do not NEED to smoke.

I'm spending my time to write this so I could offer my assistance to those who truly want to quit. Yes you can say i'm a hypocrite because I still smoke, I don't mind because the biggest difference is, I chose to smoke this time and not like 14 years ago when I was young and adventurous. I have a baby son due in less than 2 months and for me, this is more than enough motivation to quit anything. If my opinions are not appreciated then i'll just keep out. I just didn't think I was gonna get failed for genuinely offering help and being honest. But anyways, good luck and hang in there.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2013, 08:15 AM   #184
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
They say having to have a drink, even one, makes you an alcoholic. Therefore, having (or choosing as you call it) to smoke three times per day is no different. You still are choosing to be an addict; which in my eyes is not quitting. I had a boss that only smoked three times per day, all at the end of the work day, too.

Just my two cents.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
They say having to have a drink, even one, makes you an alcoholic. Therefore, having (or choosing as you call it) to smoke three times per day is no different. You still are choosing to be an addict; which in my eyes is not quitting. I had a boss that only smoked three times per day, all at the end of the work day, too.

Just my two cents.
I can't disagree with you. I never stated that i'm not addicted. I said I was less addicted and to a point that some people here would even question my addictiveness. I'm also not saying that I've quit because I obviously haven't and at this point have no intention to.

But having a drink, even one, makes you an alcoholic? Sorry bro, that's pushing it.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #186
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
I can't disagree with you. I never stated that i'm not addicted. I said I was less addicted and to a point that some people here would even question my addictiveness. I'm also not saying that I've quit because I obviously haven't and at this point have no intention to.

But having a drink, even one, makes you an alcoholic? Sorry bro, that's pushing it.

If you can't stop yourself from having even one smoke then you are an addict. Its a difference of degrees.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #187
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:

Quote:
lol serious? I'm trying to offer my opinion about quiting and all you do is fail me and try to insult me? To look and act cool was your best assumption? As I said I've been smoking for 14 years, how young do you think I am to still feel the need to "look and act cool" with a cigarette? I smoke alone most of the time, how would anyone even see and feel that I was "being cool"? Why u so mad bro, you nickin out?

Quantity has ranged from 10-15 smokes/day for over 14 years on average before and I've managed to quit for a clean 6 months until I decided that I would smoke again but control the quantity to a minimum. This streak of smoking 2-3/day has lasted for about 18 months now. I think I'm well qualified to at least give my opinion on this matter. Was I addicted before? Hell yes and wouldn't even be able to go without a smoke for more than 2 hours and would chain smoke under stress or while drinking. I cannot say that I am as addicted anymore as I was before and hence have managed to cut down to about 2-3/day just because I enjoy it. It's just like having a whisky or a beer to me. I don't need one, I just enjoy one from time to time.

I'll say it again, quitting isn't hard if you really want to quit. If you don't then no amount of motivation or drugs will help you quit. I know a lot of you on here are trying hard to quit and feel like shit. I've been thru it for 6 months and everything associated with smoking just began to suck. You become extremely agitated and question your motives every minute that you are nicking out. If you're new to quitting, try 3 days without even a puff and see how that feels, for me it was the hardest. That is why I continue to go on and off just to make sure that I don't fall back hard into smoking again. The next stage for me was 10 days, then 30, then after 3 months, I was 100% sure that I didn't need it anymore. Cold turkey. You can blame this or that but the fact is, it's all in your head and you can force it out if you keep believing that you do not NEED to smoke.

I'm spending my time to write this so I could offer my assistance to those who truly want to quit. Yes you can say i'm a hypocrite because I still smoke, I don't mind because the biggest difference is, I chose to smoke this time and not like 14 years ago when I was young and adventurous. I have a baby son due in less than 2 months and for me, this is more than enough motivation to quit anything. If my opinions are not appreciated then i'll just keep out. I just didn't think I was gonna get failed for genuinely offering help and being honest. But anyways, good luck and hang in there.
I don't smoke, so I cannot relate how difficult it is to quit. NKC ONE, I believe you do have good intentions, and are genuinely offering help.

The problem is, you contradict yourself by saying its really not that hard to quit, and no amount of drugs will help you quit, you can blame this, you can blame that, etc etc. Yet, at the same time with a baby due soon, you allow yourself to have smoke 1-3/day, and justify how you must have a smoke while having a cold beer at the golf course. You are using this as an excuse/blame to smoke, and you mention how you "don't need it", but simply to "enjoy" it as another excuse to smoke.

I'm not trying to attack you or anything, but I think that's the general impression RSer's got from reading your previous posts, and that's why your getting failed on.
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2013, 05:22 AM   #188
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
I was never a smoker, but I'll have on average 1-5 smokes a month. it's always social.

I used to never smoke, but once that door was opened... I duno, it just won't seem to close. I don't have a problem with it, I don't smoke alone. I don't buy smokes.

but if i'm at a club or bar, and I'm offered one... I'll sometimes say yes.

in the back of my mind I know i should just never ever accept another cigarette. but... I can't always say no. although i do say no more often than yes.

I think for any smoker, if they can cut it down to this level, it's okay... but it would be so easy to slip back to full time smoking.

I'd say if one identifies themselves as a smoker, and they are trying to quit smoking... if they achieve this, they should be able to quit coffee and just about every other addiction as well.

I for one, don't drink coffee... I have about 5 cups a year if even. usually because it's offered and i'm bored. But I can see how they kinda go hand in hand.
kinda like how other sitmulants or booze + smokes go together. it's kinda just like a mindset of routine. you gotta break those patterns of routine... some can do it through sheer will power. other ppl need assistance or true logical reasons that that have been self realised/actualized... some people need fear.

I think if you have any other addictions in your life, you should look deeper into why arent you quitting those either (coffee, food, biting your nails or whatever). I bet the same excuses/reasons come up.

if you can't quit those other things... it would be hard to see why you would quit cigarettes too.

i've read other people doing crazy things like... neuro-conditioning lol. chain smoke yourself till you puke. till it's so gross and the feeling associated to the smell of cigarettes is so negative that you don't even fucking want another cigarette. I know it's kinda stupid. but it's like people freaking out on drugs. once u experience the fear, the negativity, something changes in the brain and it just becomes easier to repel it. to ignore the cravings or deny offerings.

i know tons of people that have freaked out on weed, or used too much of some other drug and felt really uncomfortable, and they have since cut down tremendously or completely quit. i don't see why cigarettes would be any different.

I used to smoke cigars sometimes and one time i just had too much and fucking puked. I haven't had a cigar since then. lol. it was just easy to quit after something bad has happened.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #189
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
e smoke actually help a lot lol, i gave one to my friend and told him it contains nicotine (i lied), guy was hitting it so much and he slowly got out of it.. i was just lucky that i dont have such an addictive personality, i can stop smoking anytime i want really, only smoke when im fkin drunk af or high af and need something to calm me down ahah
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #190
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
If you can't stop yourself from having even one smoke then you are an addict. Its a difference of degrees.
Agreed. I would call myself an addict since I would actually have one when I need one (like let's say at work). Then again I only have about 4 a day and sometimes I skip a day without smoking. So then again, it's not like I need it everyday and constantly, but then I'm also not a casual smoker since its almost 3 or 4. Then I'm an addict and not one? I have always thought if I'm an addict or not, and pondering on this for myself was pretty much useless because there is just so many "degrees" and "factors" affecting the label of addict yet the result for me shows that I'm a smoker, but not that frequent, yet not that needy, and I don't smoke as much in a day.

Everyone has a different definition of addiction. For me, I would label addiction as smoking half a pack a day. That's a red flag for addiction for me.
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #191
Need to Seek Professional Help

Day 3 without having a smoke and im getting alot of phlegm and having to constantly clear my throat. Only time I really craved these past few days was when my friends were smoking and it made me really consider "should I have one?" Otherwise, I haven't bought a pack in about a month and have been bumming 1 or 2 a day.
RESN is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #192
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

3 Months without a single cigarette. My breathing feels so much better..no more occasional light chest pains
MaaaadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #193
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Currently watching Sons of Anarchy....my throat is aching for a cigarette...won't do it though but god damnit, it is hard some times. Day 176
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #194
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

anyone here likes premium chinese brand cigarettes? so smooth
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #195
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
ive had double happiness so fuckin gross lol
Old 11-07-2013, 06:03 AM   #196
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
Used to love authentic zhonghua's.
HansonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #197
I subscribe to Revscene

Edit:nvm found it!

Last edited by dat_steve; 11-15-2013 at 01:18 PM.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #198
I don't get it

Been smoking for around 5 years. I would say 3-7 smokes a day.

I have stopped smoking alone in my own time now for ard 3 weeks.

I only smoke when I chill with friends who smoke as well. Its kinda those connection things, if i dont smoke with him, seems like theres less to talk about. But yea quitting is good !
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #199
Need to Seek Professional Help

DAY 38!
RESN is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #200
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
relapsed after 35 some days. Instead of 1 pack a day, I'm averaging 4-5. Weekends are a bit harder. But slowly cutting down.

Everytime there's a craving, I'll try to do pushups. It'll make me tired, keep my mind of it and maybe give it some negative reinforcement.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote