REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #101
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts
I'm still curious about the urge to smoke and addiction.. is the sensation of resisting to smoke after several years kind of like a no fap affair? Hold it off for as long as possible and maybe the tendency to do it just goes away?

AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #102
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
fuck i got hooked again
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #103
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Well, made it through a full month without having a smoke. Apart from the first day back at work, it was surprisingly easy. So much, in fact, that all my friends are convinced I was never addicted in the first place. I suppose that's a possibility and that I was merely smoking for the sake of habit, not because of any real chemical need.

I've also noticed two things since I quit. The first is that I definitely have less of a morning cough now. Actually, it's pretty much disappeared over the past week, which is nice. Secondly, my bank account is actually really liking this. I have my account set up to now transfer money every time I would have bought a pack and, as of last week, I had enough :saved up" money to go out and purchase a new Nexus 7. It's amazing to actually see just how much money you're wasting on smoking.

Anyway, to those of who you are attempting to quit, I wish you nothing but the best. And to those of you who would like to but haven't yet, it's really nothing more than mind over matter. And when you're out with friends who are smoking, you've just got to make yourself say no when you're offered a smoke.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #104
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
came across this clip.. and almost made me smoke again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=z49xZ7VcfqE

sorry if i made anyone cave in
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #105
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
quitting smoking hardest part is fighting the urge to smoke after a big ass meal
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #106
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

try finding new hobbies, like going to the gym
vanle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:52 AM   #107
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I miss cigarettes. The first smoke on a cold morning, alongside a cup of coffee or beer, following a meal or sex, during the breaks between classes.... especially in those moments, I'd do just about anything for a bit of nicotine and the satisfaction of the ritual. Ultimately though, I'm very happy. Quitting is worth it, and very achievable. My breath, clothes, and hands don't reek any longer. I'm saving money. My morning cough is gone.

Good luck to anyone looking to quit.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #108
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,179 Times in 229 Posts
I really cant picture myself not hacking a butty in the future but I'm gonna try and quit again this year. Drunk smokes are the best too waaah wish me luck.
Jegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #109
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jegglez View Post
I really cant picture myself not hacking a butty in the future but I'm gonna try and quit again this year. Drunk smokes are the best too waaah wish me luck.
jus do wut i did

i quit, but not cold turkey. i have limited myself to only smoking when drinking / shows. In my age, i cannot really see myself quitting cold turkey. In the end, its a big improvement from smoking half a pack a day to smoking about 1 or 2 cigs every 1-2 weeks

you'll also need something to bind your contract. i shook on it wit a friend where i would pay him 50 bucks every time i smoke when im not drinking / show. it is based on an honor system so if you cheat and you don't own up to it, you know deep inside you're not a man of your word so far i've only paid him once hehe
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #110
(ノº _ º)ノ彡┻━┻

i find associating activities with smoking to be the biggest problem. once you get into a certain routine, it's hard to not have that cig while you're doing whatever ie. while drinking coffee first thing in the morning, after finishing a meal, etc...

i quit for about 6 months because i got really sick (rough cough that lasted a month due to a flu). you know what got me back into it? seeing all those stupid nicorette commercials. i wasn't craving cigs, but i really wanted to try the nicotine gum for some reason. i chewed them for a while, then said fuck it, i'd rather smoke again.

so here i am, smoking more than ever now since i started my new job earlier this year. i'm outdoors a lot and have a lot of freedom to do whatever.. not good.. fml.

i found that i smoked less when i didn't have much on me. if you guys are trying to cut back, don't buy double packs and cartons (cheaper, but smoke more). carry a handful with you and go from there.
jnesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #111
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I would suggest counting and setting a goal as to how many you can smoke that day. It takes more courage than looking into your pack and seeing its empty. It's far from actually quitting but I think the same idea of control is in play here at least. I count my tops is probably 5 that day or I count how many I had to cut back on and force myself to be in control
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2012, 02:27 AM   #112

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
I quit cold turkey because I had a cold one day and the smell just got so nasty. To this day, the smell still makes me sick.

Stop pointing out the good things about smoking (feels good, kills time, removes anxiety, etc.) and start focusing on the negatives (stinks, makes your hand/clothes smell, bad health, waste money, etc.)
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2012, 03:13 AM   #113
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Honestly there are way more negatives than positives, its a filthy habit. Congrats to everyone who quit or is trying to quit. Quitting is a good new years resolution too!
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #114
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
I quit smoking once and that was from reading a book on how to quit but then I started to party too much and caved in, I only lasted around 3 months. I'm making it my new years resolution to quit, been smoking for about 7 years now
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #115
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I smoked for over 12 years. 1 day I was doing chief. I just couldn't breath, non stop coughing which led to vomiting. My friend called 911 and they carried me down the chief. I use to basically jog up the chief with no problem. I quit cold turkey after that. It's now been 3 years since I smoked and I've never felt better in my life!
accordpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #116

smoked like 20-30 cigs then asked why i was even smoking.. it didn't do anything except make me a little lightheaded. so i quit. ;3
mwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #117
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoo View Post
smoked like 20-30 cigs then asked why i was even smoking.. it didn't do anything except make me a little lightheaded. so i quit. ;3
that's usually what happens when you first start smoking, you get light headed.
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #118

they ought to charge cigarettes like 5 or 10$ a stick, would help tremendously in quitting

I only smoke about 3 cigarettes a day and I feel no adverse effects from it

Gonna give quitting another go in the new year as I have promised to friends and family

would be pretty pathetic of me to fall back on my word and cave in like some junkie
Isaiah11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:19 AM   #119
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,179 Times in 229 Posts
Haven't had a smoke since new years WOOO but late nights kill me jesus...
Jegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #120
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

clean for almost 2 months now!
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #121
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

quit smoking a few years back, then dated a model that smoked and got me on again, but smoking way more than before. Ended up doing a pack a day, felt tired and really nasty, worst part was my lung started to hurt. Got introduced to Electronic cigs and started using those, now I rarely smoke a normal cig and even if I do, it's 1 a day sometime. Get the nicotine fix with e-cigs without the carcinogens, tar, and 4000 other chemicals getting burned into your lungs.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #122
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Had been clean for few months before new years but recently got back on the tar train after new years
Thanks to my random epiphany this morning, realized this shiznit ain't for me so I ripped/threw away my 3/4 pack of Bellies. Felt guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhd
Zudi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #123
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
A little encouragement for everyone.

MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #124

Got sick recently with a throat infection of some sort and stopped smoking. Quit for a few days and today decided to smoke a Belmont during work. Tasted like absolute shit for some reason. Bumping it down to Number Seven Blue's probably towards the road to quitting
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #125
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,352 Times in 263 Posts
^smokes a different kind of cigarette, probably towards the road to quitting