REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 01-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Home Theater Room Renovation Needed ~~~~

Just want to get a quote on renovation for a Theater Room.

Its not a very big room.

Only 16.4 (L) x 9.84 (W) ft.
and 9 feet ceiling.

Wanted to paint the ceiling and TV wall in Black color, the rest of the wall in Brown Yellow and put 4 Ceiling lights.

What is the price if I hire someone to do it ?

Quality is the priority!!! Thank you!!!
Advertisement

Last edited by ime2006; 01-02-2012 at 05:31 PM.
ime2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

So you're looking for a painter essentially? Or do you need home theatre installers too?
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
$800..

It's a couple hours work for an electrician on a slow day, plus materials.

The painting, unless you're really going to make the effort to find an outstanding painter, just do it yourself. Painting is simple; with good technique and patience cutting the edges will turn out well, and once you get a feel for how much paint you need on the roller all you need to do is apply even pressure on long strokes.

Last edited by MindBomber; 01-02-2012 at 08:59 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
my suggestion is to grab some buddies, a case or 2 of beer and a decent weekend. The beauty of it all is that when all is said and done - IF you need something changed (IF!!) after the wiring is done at LEAST you know where to start digging.

Also, you can have present your room to your friends/family as "I did this myself!"
Old 01-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
my suggestion is to grab some buddies, a case or 2 of beer and a decent weekend. The beauty of it all is that when all is said and done - IF you need something changed (IF!!) after the wiring is done at LEAST you know where to start digging.

Also, you can have present your room to your friends/family as "I did this myself!"
I would never suggest a person without significant renovation experience attempt to do their own electrical. The worst case scenario isn't touching up some ceiling paint if you make a mistake cutting a line, it's severe electrocution or an electrical fire.

The mark of a good DIY'er is knowing when to call a professional.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #6
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

^+1

i'm an electrician.....
I totally agree with DIY projects
replacing an old switch/plug is as far as any home owner should go when doing an electrical DIY...
but dont DIY electrical rough wiring please........
Old 01-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I did mine when I bought my place 5 years ago but I had a buddy do my electrical. I did everything else, ran all my wires in the ceiling and the wall. I cut a trough down the center of my ceiling about two feet wide. It gave me room to drill holes and fish my speaker and HDMI wires where ever I needed them.

I got rid of the original lighting and my friend added a bunch of pot lights on dimmers.

I also painted my ceiling and feature wall black which is a good idea IMO. I had a textured ceiling originally so I scraped that down first and when I was done I had another taper friend skim coat my ceiling.

If you don't have any electrician friends just hire one and do the rest of the stuff yourself, easy peasy.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
I'm pretty handy and would pretty much do the same as quasi.

Do all the rough work and paint yourself and leave the electrical and finish drywall to a pro.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
Wanna have a threesome?

For a total amature, cutting the holes to run the wiring yourself is a good way to save money if you're relatively handy. They absolutely must be good straight lines though, because if the holes aren't neat patching over them will take exponentially longer. Also, don't make the classic newbie mistake, cutting too deep and hitting a pipe or piece of wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I had a textured ceiling originally so I scraped that down
Just to add for any DIY'ers - ceiling texture in homes built pre-1980 often contains asbestos, do your research if that's the era your home is from and your cutting into or removing texture.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
$800..

It's a couple hours work for an electrician on a slow day, plus materials.

The painting, unless you're really going to make the effort to find an outstanding painter, just do it yourself. Painting is simple; with good technique and patience cutting the edges will turn out well, and once you get a feel for how much paint you need on the roller all you need to do is apply even pressure on long strokes.
$800 ? for everything ?? thats it ?
ime2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ime2006 View Post
$800 ? for everything ?? thats it ?
That's only for electrical
Posted via RS Mobile
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #12
Rs has made me the man i am today!

don't forget to have dedicated circuits for you a/v system too. If you run anything too large in current draw you'll be blowing the breaker. Worst is when the plugs are tied in with lighting too... breaker goes then you're tripping in the dark.