REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Friend got ticketed for parking in front of my house (https://www.revscene.net/forums/660801-friend-got-ticketed-parking-front-my-house.html)

ck74 01-05-2012 08:01 PM

Friend got ticketed for parking in front of my house

So today my friend came over in the morning and parked his car outside my house and we went to school with my car. When we came back, we found a warning note "Resident & Guest parking ONLY- You will be ticketed next time ($80!)" ALONG with a freaking ticket worth $50 (discounted) issued by the city of Vancouver for "Parking on a street where a traffic sign restricts parking, except in accordance with such restriction". I understand that the street outside my house is owned by the city but SERIOUSLY what kind of bs is this when we can't even have friends or relatives visiting without risking getting ticketed because of shitty neighbors? :devil:(Note: there is one particular neighbor who always parks in front of my house and tows any car that parks there). Anyways should my friend dispute the ticket or not? If he loses, he has to pay an additional $25 AND the full amount ($100) so $125 total. Has this happened to anyone else before? Any suggestions?

Gnomes 01-05-2012 08:12 PM

Thanks for asking that question. I always wondered about that. Condos usually have designated parking for guests or temp parking passes for guests. Houses = no idea.

ck74 01-05-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnomes (Post 7750889)
Thanks for asking that question. I always wondered about that. Condos usually have designated parking for guests or temp parking passes for guests. Houses = no idea.

When I called the number on the ticket, apparently the woman over the phone said that visitors would have to park on a private property such as a garage.
However, that is pretty ridiculous considering that some people don't even own garages and even if they do, most people don't have the space to fit extra cars for visitors!

Sky_High 01-05-2012 08:30 PM

While we're on the same topic.

What if you park a car infront of your own house, and receive a ticket?
There's obviously ways to prove you're the owner of the vehicle, and where it is registered to. But how long/troublesome is it to appeal such cases? Or do they harass you till you pay up?

OP: Maybe next time your friend can park at your spot, when you take your car out to school?

Gnomes 01-05-2012 08:34 PM

^i think there is a permit for "residents of this block with house number xxxx-xxxx" signage for front dash of car

Soundy 01-05-2012 08:37 PM

If your friend parked on the street, he falls under city bylaws and was ticketed by a bylaw officer - whoever left the note has no power over whether he got the ticket or not and is just being a douche.

For that matter, street parking IS NOT for "residents and guests" - guests could be ticketed just as readily if they contravene the parking bylaws:

Quote:

17.6 An owner, registered owner, lessee or operator of a vehicle must not cause, allow or permit that vehicle to park:
(a) at any place on a street where a traffic sign prohibits parking;
(b) at any place on a street where a traffic sign restricts parking, except in
accordance with such restriction;
(c) on the paved portion of any curbless street where the pavement is 6
metres or less in width, so as to leave available less than 3 metres of
the usable paved portion of such street;
(d) opposite to or in such close proximity to another vehicle already
stopped on the street as to obstruct or unduly restrict the free
movement of vehicles on the street;
(e) on any portion of a street for a longer period of time than indicated on
any traffic sign which applies, except that this prohibition shall not
apply on those holidays, other than Easter Monday, which are defined as
such by the Interpretation Act;
(f) on a street abutting premises used for residential or commercial
purposes for more than 3 hours between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.,
provided that this limitation in time shall not apply where:
(i) such premises are the property or residence of such person
or an
employer of such person; or
(ii) the street or portion of street is restricted to the parking of
vehicles of residents of that street; or
(iii) the street or portion of street is restricted to the parking of
vehicles of residents bearing a valid decal issued by the City
Engineer and authorizing its parking provided that the vehicle is
located within the area named on the decal and provided further
that where the area is regulated pursuant to section 22.1 this
subclause (iii) shall only apply during the time of the event; or
(iv) the driver of a motorcycle parks in a corner clearance parking
area, in which case a twenty four hour time limit is to apply;
(g) on that part of any roadway within a distance of 6 metres on both sides
of the centre of the main entrance or exterior vestibule of any hotel or
theatre, unless otherwise marked by traffic signs.
In other words, between 8am and 6pm, only an actual resident of that building can park there for more than three hours... GUESTS DON'T COUNT.

Sky_High 01-05-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

^i think there is a permit for "residents of this block with house number xxxx-xxxx" signage for front dash of car
Sorry. Misread that part. I know which ones you're talking about now.
Kind of like the ones near King Edward / 22-23rd streets. And areas near PNE.

What about cases such infront of houses, where you can only park 2-4 hours? There's a lot of residential areas where they have such limitation, but there's no permits...

ck74 01-05-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

In other words, between 8am and 6pm, only an actual resident of that building can park there for more than three hours... GUESTS DON'T COUNT.
Soundy: So does that mean my friend HAS to pay the ticket? How would the officer know whether or not he parked there for more than 3 hours? Would it still be possible to dispute the ticket since I assume there is no evidence that my friend parked there for over 3 hours unless the neighbor who called the city came forward to prove it?

zulutango 01-05-2012 09:21 PM

I believe the bylaw officer would mark the tyres to see if the car moved...really easy to do wtih a chalk marker. They also come equipped with a wrist watch. Put them together in the hand of a crazed psycho and you get a ticket. Such is life when the laws get broken.

Soundy 01-05-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ck74 (Post 7750960)
Soundy: So does that mean my friend HAS to pay the ticket?

Does he live there? Was he parked less than three hours between the times of 8am and 6pm? If the answer to both is NO, then yes, he has to pay.

Quote:

How would the officer know whether or not he parked there for more than 3 hours?
Believe it or not, bylaw cops DO have eyes, and they CAN tell time. Cop sees a car parked there... does another pass >3 hours later and still sees it in the same spot... 1+1=2.

Quote:

Would it still be possible to dispute the ticket since I assume there is no evidence that my friend parked there for over 3 hours unless the neighbor who called the city came forward to prove it?
If the ticket was based solely on a neighbor's report, then yes, the neighbor would have to appear to give evidence. If it's based on a bylaw officer actually seeing the car there, well...

Soundy 01-05-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7751008)
I believe the bylaw officer would mark the tyres to see if the car moved...really easy to do wtih a chalk marker. They also come equipped with a wrist watch. Put them together in the hand of a crazed psycho and you get a ticket. Such is life when the laws get broken.

I know a lot of the private lots now have electronic systems where they snap a timestamped picture of the plate for proof.

taylor192 01-05-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Yes, yet some douche canoe neighbour would have to call to initiate that. I have left my car parked infront of my building for 3 weeks when I went on vacation without getting a ticket, cause the bylaw officers just don't care to patrol residential street parking unless there are permit restrictions or douche canoe neighbours reporting it.

Soundy 01-05-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7751122)
I have left my car parked infront of my building for 3 weeks when I went on vacation without getting a ticket...

Probably because it's legal if you actually LIVE THERE.

Nlkko 01-05-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ck74 (Post 7750879)
there is one particular neighbor who always parks in front of my house and tows any car that parks there).

Wow wtf? Does he urinate there to mark his spot too? :facepalm:

Bainne 01-06-2012 12:35 AM

What was the specific bylaw referenced on the ticket?

The fact that there is bylaw in Vancouver that restricts parking for only 3 hours doesn't mean it specifically relates to your situation.

You need to ensure you & your friend were or were not contravening the specific infraction referenced on the ticket in order to properly decide whether to fight it or not.

And ya, for some reason Vancouver/Burnaby neighbours are some of the most anal people I've ever had the displeasure of living next to. I was once ticketed for parking to close to a neighbours driveway (was maybe a good 2 feet away). The real burner was the fact that there physically was not enough room to have the 1.5M required from both ours and his driveway at the same time but it was still a legit parking spot :facepalm:

taylor192 01-06-2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7751142)
Probably because it's legal if you actually LIVE THERE.

I'll be more specific: I left it there for 3 weeks with Ontario plates on it.

InvisibleSoul 01-06-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7750939)

Whoa, whoa, whoa... so you're NOT allowed to park in front of your neighbour's house more than three hours between 8am to 6pm?

Soundy 01-06-2012 03:18 PM

If it's YOUR NEIGHBOR'S house... doesn't that mean YOU ALSO live on that street? Thus:
"(f) on a street abutting premises used for residential or commercial
purposes for more than 3 hours between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.,
provided that this limitation in time shall not apply where:
(i) such premises are the property or residence of such person"

sebberry 01-06-2012 04:00 PM

The SOLUTION (right, Soundy) to this craziness would be to harmonize the by-laws between municipalities.

Over on this side of the strait, "residential parking" doesn't carry a time restriction and can be used by any visitor to a house on that block.

Is it truly reasonable for me to be expected to carry a handbook of municipal bylaws around with me and check them every time I need to do something like park?

winson604 01-06-2012 08:52 PM

For people who don't know there are 3 types of residential types of parking in Vancouver.

1. Streets with no signs
- This is called the 3 hour bylaw meaning between 8am - 6pm only people who live in the neighbourhood can park. Doesn't matter if it's in front of your neighbour or not. Tons of people don't know this bylaw exists because there's no signs. In addition too many people think they own the spot outside their house. No dumbass the City does so putting cones and buckets doesn't do shit.

2. RPO = Residents Parking Only. Usually will say Residents of whatever hundred block only or something to that affect.
- This does NOT mean people who live on a certain hundred block can park there. What it really means is only vehicles that have their insurance registered to that hundred block can park.

3. RPP = Resident Permit Parking
- Very simple, have a decal on your vehicle and you can park. Only people who can prove they live in this area can get a decal. Also very simple to enforce b/c the PEO only needs to see if you have a decal or not.

I'm not sure what your friend got a ticket for but since he doesn't live there he's pretty much in violation. Only way he can get off is if there are no signs on your street and he can prove he was not there for 3 hours which is unfortunately not really possible to prove lol.

I understand you may not have enough room in your carport or garage for friends and relatives and although as annoying or wrong as it seems you move your car to the street and let them park. You also need to realize that lots of these signs didn't just pop up years ago because the City felt like it. Neighbours petition to have the signs put up so at some point parking was obviously a problem so people got together and agreed a sign will help.

Gee.Tee.Ar 01-09-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Just curious but how far does the vehicle actually have to move to have it considered "moved"??

Soundy 01-09-2012 09:17 PM

I dunno about these regs, but with parking meters, once you use up your 2 or 3 hour maximum, you have to move to a different block (either a block down, over, or around the corner).

winson604 01-10-2012 07:20 AM

Then there are some people who just just around the block once or maybe twice to remove the chalk (depending on where the chalked mark is) then park like 1 spot over. Not sure in terms of legality but I suppose if the chalk mark is gone they can't really prove it was you even if they remembered based off of memory it seemed to be the same car. Not sure though.

Soundy 01-10-2012 07:32 AM

You could just back up enough so the chalk mark is on the very bottom, against the ground, too... although that won't help if they have a record of your plate.