REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Annoying next door neighbours that rented

So we have two people that rented the basement of our next door neighbour and we have no issues with the homeowners, just the people that rent it. I won't be going over the past arguments and whatnot, but my parents have witnessed them kicking our car while walking past it after parking. They have beef with us and we have beef with them, but they are practically causing emotional distress upon my parents by making them worry about our property. They are quite shady too, but I won't go into detail with that.

Basically my question is, do we have the power to file a complain and get them to move out? There is no proof of anything other than personal opinions at this point. This one time, the neighbor picked up something from the ground at 2am and threw it at our car, but of course we have no proof.

Thanks for any advice. Please no flaming.
Advertisement
yameen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Buy a recording device and record instances of them vandalizing your personal property to establish your case.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
No proof, no details, no case.

Your neighbours cannot evict their renters without proof, and even with proof they'd still have to offer a resolution first before evicting.

Arguments don't happen for no reason, and since you don't want to go into detail I will assume you've contributed to the bad blood. Solve whatever beef you have with the renters.

Alternatively provide your neighbours 7 months worth of rent cheques so they can pretend a relative is renting the suite and evict the renters for family use.

Oh and you might want to find out if your neighbours are declaring the rental income before you go starting shit. If they aren't, and the renters want to be mean, they'll report your neighbours causing you even more grief.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
Buy a recording device and record instances of them vandalizing your personal property to establish your case.
This. Start collecting time stamped evidence.

Have a chat with your neighbor who own the property about the shady renters. I believe they can end the tenancy with one month notice if they were month to month. It wont be possible with a lease or illegal contract/no contract though.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Even if you catch the renters vandalizing your car, the police still can't evict them; all they can do is charge them.

You say you have no problem with the homeowners - if they have no problem with you and are good neighbors, then the first thing you need to do is approach them with your issue. Photo/video proof will help. If they're good homeowners, they'll care that their renters are causing problems with the neighbors.

I would expect even if there is a lease, there would be SOMETHING in the Tenancy Act that would allow them to evict the renters if they were committing crimes in the neighborhood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Not a police issue...
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:57 AM   #7
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanks for everyone's input. I know this isn't a police issue but it seemed to be the most appropriate place for the thread. It seems like in the end, I would need proof. Where can I buy a cheap video recording device for these situations? Are we talking about regular camcorders?

The homeowners expressed that they are neutral and that if we want to take action with the law and whatnot, we can go ahead. I admit that there are both sides to the ongoing problems but we calmly talked to them and they are still causing trouble from time to time.

Thanks for the serious replies!
yameen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:25 AM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

install security cameras...!
pb.kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

As suggested above, security cameras are your best bet. It is perfectly legal to video your own property, but I wouldn't be aiming said devices at your neighbours property.

Unfortunately the only way you are going to get them evicted is if you convince the property owner, and even then it is questionable whether or not he would have grounds to do so. Most of the reasons for eviction relate only to the tenants treatment of the landlords ground and don't cover their activity outside of the home, except maybe "unreasonable disturbance of the quiet enjoyment of others".

That said, a proper and legal eviction doesn't happen right away. There is paperwork, arbitration meetings, etc. It could be months before they actually leave. If you think they are annoyed now, have you ever poked an buzzing bees nest... know what happens when you piss off already angry bees? Yup.....

If you have a window close to the driveway you could install something like this:

D-LINK DCS-932L Wireless 802.11N Night Vision Internet Security Camera With Remoteweb Managment - D-Link - DCS-932L

There are some other "cheap" Wifi options that would work outside. You can likely find the stuff at FS/BB/Memory Express/ NCIX locally.
Bainne is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #10

That camera is a piece of shit. It's not designed for outside, and with the IRs you can't aim it through the window.
Quote:
Old 01-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
That camera is a piece of shit. It's not designed for outside, and with the IRs you can't aim it through the window.
Do I look like a security system salesmen?

Just letting him know that there are plenty of non-professional security setups that aren't going to cost him a G to buy install and setup. Even with a professional setup, I doubt you could realistically expect to capture an image of the individuals vandalizing your stuff in a manner that would be of any use, but at least you can confirm it is them.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainne View Post
Do I look like a security system salesmen?
Nope.

Quote:
Just letting him know that there are plenty of non-professional security setups that aren't going to cost him a G to buy install and setup.
Which is better - spending a G for something that will work, or $139 for something that's completely useless?

Quote:
Even with a professional setup, I doubt you could realistically expect to capture an image of the individuals vandalizing your stuff in a manner that would be of any use,
Incorrect.

Quote:
but at least you can confirm it is them.
You can't confirm who it is unless you either have a detailed enough image to identify them, or have a clear view of them leaving their suite and going to cause the damage.

Fortunately, both are entirely possible with the right gear... but that won't be a crappy toy camera. It doesn't need to cost a grand, but it does need the proper stuff, chosen based on the specific site.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Which is better - spending a G for something that will work, or $139 for something that's completely useless?
He could spend thousands, and if his goal is to get the individuals evicted and not cause him any more trouble - it won't help him whether he draws a picture with an etch a sketch or captures an image on the $1000 setup your trying to sell him on.

As far as properly capturing an image, the quality of the image doesn't matter if you can't confirm their identity because they never face the camera. If you wanted to press criminal charges, you'd need a pretty convincing video that confirms identity. Seeing them leaving the suite won't help you, not to mention brings into question infringing on the rights of your neighbours privacy if you are taping from behind your yard.

How many security cam footages have we seen with a guy wearing a hoodie who you couldn't tell from Adam. Seeing as to how the individuals will be coming from behind the camera, towards the driveway in front of the house (I am assuming this neighbour is next door? and the basement suite is setup like 99% of suites in GVRD) and facing the vehicle, their backs will be turned to the camera.... and the whole setup is entirely useless. Setting something obvious up outside may act as a deterrent, but if you want to covertly catch them, having a giant bulbous camera on the edge of your house doesn't exactly seem very sneaky imo.

Like I said, I'm no salesmen, my idea was simply suggesting a type of product that can operate independently, via WiFi, and with your existing computer, without having to buy the whole kit and caboodle as the chances are highly likely any image you can capture isn't going to resolve his problem no matter how expensive you go.

Quote:
Which brings me back to my point: always with finding the problems, never with any solutions. You're incapable of coming up with anything CONSTRUCTIVE, all you can do is find fault.
Quote:
Finding problems is meaningless unless you find solutions.
*cough* *cough* whoops, sorry, something stuck in my throat

Last edited by Bainne; 01-08-2012 at 10:56 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainne View Post
He could spend thousands, and if his goal is to get the individuals evicted and not cause him any more trouble - it won't help him whether he draws a picture with an etch a sketch or captures an image on the $1000 setup your trying to sell him on.
I'm not selling anything.

Quote:
As far as properly capturing an image, the quality of the image doesn't matter if you can't confirm their identity because they never face the camera. If you wanted to press criminal charges, you'd need a pretty convincing video that confirms identity.
You'd be surprised what can be used to identify someone sufficiently for prosecution. You don't need to be able to count nose hairs.

Quote:
How many security cam footages have we seen with a guy wearing a hoodie who you couldn't tell from Adam.
Somehow, I doubt his neighbors are dressing up like cat burglars to come over and smack around his car.

Quote:
Seeing as to how the individuals will be coming from behind the camera, towards the driveway in front of the house (I am assuming this neighbour is next door? and the basement suite is setup like 99% of suites in GVRD) and facing the vehicle, their backs will be turned to the camera....
They still have to go back TO their place... unless they're going to walk backward.

Quote:
and the whole setup is entirely useless. Setting something obvious up outside may act as a deterrent, but if you want to covertly catch them, having a giant bulbous camera on the edge of your house doesn't exactly seem very sneaky imo.
These lot don't seem particularly bright... you'd be surprised how readily some people give themselves away. We nabbed one guy who broke into a bunch of cars in an underground parking lot, because he rode in on his bike and looked directly up into a complete visible, overt camera.

Quote:
*cough* *cough* whoops, sorry, something stuck in my throat
You're making a lot of assumptions based on ZERO knowledge of the layout of the property. I wouldn't presume to offer a surveillance solution without at least SOME knowledge of the property, or ideally a site visit. It would be pointless to say "you need this, this, and that" otherwise... just as pointless as suggesting a $139 toy camera.

Quote:
Like I said, I'm no salesmen, my idea was simply suggesting a type of product that can operate independently, via WiFi,
Wireless cameras are never totally wireless - you still have to power them.

Quote:
and with your existing computer, without having to buy the whole kit and caboodle as the chances are highly likely any image you can capture isn't going to resolve his problem no matter how expensive you go.
If you don't expect it to work anyway, then even suggesting a toy $139 camera may as well be suggesting a $10,000 camera - you're still telling him to spend money you expect to be wasted.

But what do I know, I've only been working professionally in CCTV for 8+ years for a range of commercial/industrial clients including major oil companies and the entire Cactus Club chain. No reason to think I know what I'm talking about.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #15

PM gridlock for more advice imo.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #16
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
This is not a rental/residential tenancy branch/eviction issue.

This is a police and/or by-law issue. The only people that have control over their eviction is their landlord and it can only be done if there is a violation of the residential tenancy act (if they actually signed one).

Top ways that tenants violate:
1. Failure to pay rent or utilities.
2. Threatening the health and safety of people within the same building/home
3. Disturbing the quiet enjoyment of those in the same building/home.

If the neighbour/landlords do not have any of the problems above that directly impact them, you are shit out of luck.

The best way to go is what others have said above...video tape, record them breaking the law, and take it to the cops.
Posted via RS Mobile
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #17
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
The best way to go is what others have said above...video tape, record them breaking the law, and take it to the cops.
Posted via RS Mobile
Even then, the police prefer neighbours work it out before pressing charges.

There's obviously some bad blood here, and even if the OP's family has decided to approach this calmly now, doesn't mean that makes up for whatever happened previously.

I find most things just blow over if left alone. Setting up video cameras is not going to help this blow over. Its only going to encourage trying to beat the cameras.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #18

Try settlement? Throw them a bone or something so they stop harassing you. Legal isnt always the way to go.