REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning

Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning This forum is brought to you by Racing Greed in Port Coquitlam.
Supercharger vs Turbocharger vs NA? Hondata vs Megasquirt? 94oct vs 87oct? Through technical discussion, let's find out what will the best option for you...

Old 01-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Good Local Shop For Hondata Flashpro Tuning of Civic Si?

Where would you go in the Vancouver / Richmond / Burnaby area to have your Civic Si ECU tuned with Hondata Flashpro, if you weren't looking to buy the unit, but instead just have it professionally one-time tuned?
Advertisement
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
Need to Seek Professional Help

What is your goal?

I tuned mine myself starting with a basemap from flashprotuning that was created for mods similar to mine, but I haven't touched cam angles and VTEC crossover point nor have I looked into them so I wouldn't know if they were hard to tune.

If you're interested, I'd advise you to read the Hondata help file and check out some tutorials from Flashprotuning.

WOT tuning is relatively straightforward, and even partial throttle tuning is easier now since they integrated an "autotune" feature...although I would probably tune partial throttle manually first and leave only the small kinks to the autotune.

If you do end up having it pro-tuned, make sure they will make adjustments to the compensation tables too. Otherwise your car will not run optimal when the temperature changes greatly (ie. tune in winter, but not account for summer temperatures). For example, my car is running lean because I tuned it in the summer. So I had to use the temperature compensation tables to add certain amounts of fuel based on the temperature.

I'm not very advanced at this stuff, but damn it feels good to see the results after you tune properly.

For Sale:

BNIB Acupuncture Wallet PM me for details

Google / LG Nexus 4
crazyazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I'm going to leave the engine, headers, exhaust all stock. Is it worth getting flashpro tuned? I may want a lower VTEC engagement point. I know there's other advantages, but that's mostly what I'm looking for.
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

I think the hondata flashpro unit only works with one vehicle at a time. Hence you would have to purchase the unit. If your going to keep the factory parts you mentioned it's probably not really worth getting the unit.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
Need to Seek Professional Help

If you're leaving the car stock, I definitely would not "waste" the money getting a pro tune. You can definitely do it yourself since it's stock.

I started out with Flashpro on a stock vehicle as well, and it was definitely worth the money (bought used). It made the engine feel livelier and rev higher which is useful sometimes.

Flashpro software includes a map for stock vehicles, called "stock tuned". It's available in both MAF and MAP variants...but I would suggest you use MAP since it reduces revhang the most, pretty much getting rid of it altogether. Both of them lower the VTEC point to something in the 4xxx range (i forget exactly what RPM).

However, make sure you can tune the car based on the stock-tuned calibration since, in my case, there was a lot of knock in the midrange and the A/F ratio was a bit off. I mainly dealt with WOT when I started out since it's the easiest part and after I got rid of all the knock and perfected WOT A/F ratios, I moved on to advance ignition a bit. After I got WOT sorted out, I started playing with the partial throttle. It's a long process but it feels quite rewarding.

If I were you, I would definitely read the download the Hondata software and read the help file. If you're not prepared to do some tuning yourself then I would suggest you not waste the money (unless you ballin').

For Sale:

BNIB Acupuncture Wallet PM me for details

Google / LG Nexus 4
crazyazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

If you want to get it tuned one time, I would make sure you have it dyno tuned.
Don't waste time on the street tuning.
It's a big waste of money to have it done 70%.
Also make sure the tuner tunes everything from part throttle, full throttle, timing, vtec crossover, etc.
A full throttle tune doesn't do much if your car drives like shit but I guess in your case, the car is stock and doesn't need much work. It will however make it run a lot more efficient.
I saw 50-70km more each tank of gas after tuning.
Honda's run rich from factory and you should gain power everywhere and save gas as well.
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

How much is this tuning, if it gives you power and save gas?
I'm really interested now, as those 2 are the top of my priorities
see.lai is offline   Reply With Quote