REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #76
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
is nofrills a grocery store in van? we dont have that up here..

ya the frozen ones cook like shit. but i eat minimum 10 breasts a week. fresh gets expensive real quick.
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #77
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Extra foods should have similar sales since it's all loblaws. Keep an eye on the flyers.

For chicken breasts, it's false economies you're looking at. Sure it's $2/lb when it's on sale, but have you actually calculated how much protein you get? If you buy bone-in fresh for $3.50 a lb, the $/g protein is actually pretty similar (~10%)

.. or buy a whole chicken for $2/lb. You basically pay the same you would if you got just breasts, but you get all this extra meat and bones for stock.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #78

bone in fresh is so much better meat. dark meat has so much flavor too. but its so much extra work! hah.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #79
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Do they still sell turkeys in stores? You could roast one of those and gnaw on it for the following couple days
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #80
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
Who has the best frozen chicken breast? Like big 3-4kg or bigger bags or boxes.
Ive tried Costco, Safeway and M&M. Id like to find one that isnt so pumped full of crap that its rubbery when it comes out of the oven.

Also, what about pasta sauce? Im a fan of Hunts thick and rich pasta sauce but I need MORE. Like huge cans of it . the regular off the shelf sized cans or jars or sauce end up costing a fortune.
I just picked up this huge can of Hunts for 2.59 at Costco in bellingham. Although, Canada Costco might have it, haven't checked.

Skinny made a good point, cook a utility turkey and knaw at it all week. Would have been awesome if you had stocked up on frozen ones during sales before Christmas.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
I just picked up this huge can of Hunts for 2.59 at Costco in bellingham. Although, Canada Costco might have it, haven't checked.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #82
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
i get these chicken rbeast patties from costco dude 16, 1 pattie has 200 cals 32grams of protein 0 carbs and 1g of fat, money .. kinda high in sodium but i drink 6-8L of water a day
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #83

Cut brussel sprouts in half, toss with olive oil. Add salt and top with parmesan cheese.

Bake at 500 degrees until done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vancouver-20120126-00046.jpg (323.0 KB, 0 views)
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #84
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFonz View Post
Cut brussel sprouts in half, toss with olive oil. Add salt and top with parmesan cheese.

Bake at 500 degrees until done.
love brussel sprouts, will try this. since i've never made them before, any guidelines on timing for being "done"? we talking about brown/crisp on the outside?
truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:23 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth View Post
love brussel sprouts, will try this. since i've never made them before, any guidelines on timing for being "done"? we talking about brown/crisp on the outside?
Brown and crisp on the outside. Takes about 15-20 mins in my oven. Times vary because oven temps are so wild inaccurate.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #86

anyone who uses an oven should have one of these

Old 01-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #87
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

just cooked up this. ground beef + whole wheat pasta elbows + hamburger helper powder mix, thought i would share.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vancouver-20120127-00036.jpg (214.5 KB, 0 views)
jack3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #88

looks tasty! work on trading the hamburger helper mix for your own blend of spices tho.

my general rule is to not eat the 'flavor' that comes from a package in a box.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #89

This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I hate infographs like this because they overly simplify things that aren't necessarily accurate. This infograph is horrible.

Some points:

- Carbohydrates are not the only thing that drive insulin secretion. Protein does too. Carbs + protein drive is up the most.
- Insulin doesn't make you hungry. It suppresses your appetite. The hormone responsible for hungry is ghrelin. Its counterpart is leptin.
- Calories in/calories out do matter for weight loss/weight gain. What macro composition affects is your body composition. I'll happily take a bet with anyone that says they can eat 7,000 calories a day of nothing but protein and carbs and not gain weight. High protein diets are effective because of protein's satiety power so they eat less.

Some good reading:
- How We Get Fat | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
- Nutrient Intake, Nutrient Storage and Nutrient Oxidation | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
- Insulin Levels and Fat Loss | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

Quote:
, insulin is neither the only nor single most important hormone involved in fat storage. Rather, a little compound called acylation stimulation protein (ASP) has been described as “the most potent stimulator of fat storage in the fat cell”. And ASP levels can go up without an increase in insulin (although insulin plays a role).
- Insulin…an Undeserved Bad Reputation » Weightology Weekly
- CarpeCarp comments on How does keto defy "calories in vs. calories out" ?
- Carbs, Fats, and Carbs plus Fats - Examine.com Blog | Examine.com
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #91
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
food i ate over past couple days
curry stew and coconuts oil yams

massive salad with chicken legs
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFonz View Post
I hate infographs like this because they overly simplify things that aren't necessarily accurate. This infograph is horrible.

Some points:

- Carbohydrates are not the only thing that drive insulin secretion. Protein does too. Carbs + protein drive is up the most.
- Insulin doesn't make you hungry. It suppresses your appetite. The hormone responsible for hungry is ghrelin. Its counterpart is leptin.
- Calories in/calories out do matter for weight loss/weight gain. What macro composition affects is your body composition. I'll happily take a bet with anyone that says they can eat 7,000 calories a day of nothing but protein and carbs and not gain weight. High protein diets are effective because of protein's satiety power so they eat less.

Some good reading:
- How We Get Fat | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
- Nutrient Intake, Nutrient Storage and Nutrient Oxidation | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
- Insulin Levels and Fat Loss | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

- Insulin…an Undeserved Bad Reputation » Weightology Weekly
- CarpeCarp comments on How does keto defy "calories in vs. calories out" ?
- Carbs, Fats, and Carbs plus Fats - Examine.com Blog | Examine.com
It's simplified because that's what infographics are for. It's no more or less simple than it needs to be. You are talking about things like ghrelin which is the hunger hormone, but guess what releases ghrelin?

The bottom line is, the infographic is a great way to quickly educate people who otherwise wouldn't know or care to know about this stuff, and makes them want to research more for themselves. If you start introducing complications, it's not going to be very effective.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #93
RS controls my life!

Pumpkin muffins

Per muffin: 104 calories
Protein: 12 grams
Carb: 7 grams
Fat: 3 gram

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Spray 9 muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray or grease it with coconut oil.
Mix the following in no specific order:

3 scoops vanilla or strawberry protein powder
3/4 cup pure pumpkin
3 egg whites
1/2 cup oat flour
1/2 cup almond flour ******optional, you can just use another 1/2 cup of oat flour but it will have a bit more carbs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Cook for 12-15minutes, toothpick check to see if ready.

******You can add stevia or splenda, I didn't and it's already sweet enough for me

Last edited by Alar; 01-30-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Alar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #94
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
If anyone likes frozen breasts I've got a pretty good recipe:

-~4-6 chicken breasts frozen (as many as you can fit on a baking sheet) I use superstore Blue Label Easy Cook Chicken Burger/breast (Do not get the JUICY chicken burgers, they taste like crap)
-Line baking sheet with foil (otherwise your mom/wife/gf will kill you)
-Drizzle olive oil and coarse salt and Mrs. Dash Herbs + Garlic on the pan
-Get some soft butter (preferably room temp) and throw some Mrs. Dash herbs and garlic in there, and mix it up. Rub that mixture onto the tops of your chickens.
-Pour in a can of coke (non diet) into your pan with some lemon wedges (lemon juice will work too & coke should be just below the top of the chicken, the buttered top part should still be exposed).
-Optional .. use some of your fave bbq sauce/ketchup
-Optional .. I use the red peppercorns that pizza places give you with pizza and sprinkle them ontop of my breasts as well
-Cover with foil (otherwise splatter will mess your shit up)

Enjoy!

Most of the sugar from the coke doesn't go in, and even if it does it's split 4-6 ways. Don't use the coke unless I'm not caring about carbs anyways It gets a flavor pretty similar to bbq chips. Sweet yet just a little spicy. Be careful that you don't use too little coke, because then it'll evaporate and just burn at the bottom of the pan/breasts.

If anyone likes rob hunter's chicken from cactus I've got a pretty good recipe for that but it involves a grill. I gotta remake it and actually measure it this time, usually i just throw random shit together and eat it lol.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2012, 03:53 PM   #95
RS controls my life!

self explanatory,

1-lettuce lean burger, with over easy egg, tomato, light mayo, bacon, sundried tomatoes and fried onions.

2-minimal burger bun for cheats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pictureview.jpg (51.0 KB, 0 views)
Alar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #96
My homepage has been set to RS

That looks so good. Dear god I'm drooling now.

MY FEEDBACK
jimzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
It's simplified because that's what infographics are for. It's no more or less simple than it needs to be. You are talking about things like ghrelin which is the hunger hormone, but guess what releases ghrelin?

The bottom line is, the infographic is a great way to quickly educate people who otherwise wouldn't know or care to know about this stuff, and makes them want to research more for themselves. If you start introducing complications, it's not going to be very effective.
Ghrelin is made by your stomach. The release of ghrelin is not (unless I'm reading things wrong) affected by insulin, but rather the other way around though it's a little schizo in that it can suppress or increase insulin secretion.

The infograph is wrong though and shortcuts people into saying shit like "All carbs are bad" or "if I kept my insulin down, OMG, I'd be skinny" when you and I both know that it's not quite like that.

If people don't know and care, then it sucks to be them.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #98

The graphic makes it pretty clear that ALL carbs are not bad, and carbs don't AUTOMATICALLY make you fat. But they ARE what make you fat and unhealthy.

And if you do keep your insulin down, you can get skinny that way. That's how people lose weight overall without dieting.

And yes, calories are important, but still not as important as what they are composed of. Ask anyone who has tried to lose weight eating nothing but rice crackers and water, and compare that to someone who goes on Atkins. The former is eating probably 500 calories less than the Atkins person, but is not losing any weight and is hungry all the time, while the Atkins person easily loses weight and is never hungry.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #99
Old School RS

Thanked 3,930 Times in 1,197 Posts

Chermoulla chicken with a chickpea salad.

Whole-wheat morning glory muffins.

Mark
Old 01-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #100
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Damn.. thanks halo. found those pork and chicken meatballs, easy to make, bang for the buck and tasty too!

Now, to make spaghetti..
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: