REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 01-30-2012, 01:37 AM   #26
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Any recommendations on where to order an unlocked 800 (or 900 when it's out)? eBay is selling 800s for $550 was wondering if I can do better...
Advertisement
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:47 AM   #27
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
unlocked 800s?

the microsoft stores in the states
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:09 AM   #28
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitron View Post
You're kidding, right?

A "me too" OS? WP7 is far from that.

Obviously every phones going to have social media integration. In fact, iOS silos their apps, and only until recently did iOS bring out notifications. Android had this feature built in for a long time...that, plus Android also has social media sharing built in from a few versions back.

WP7 on the other hand is a complete rethink of the mobile OS. Simply look at the home screen and compare that with an iOS/Android device.
I have used a Mango phone (a HTC) for 10 min, so I can't comment for the exact accuracy. But from a user point of view, WP7 is indeed a me-too OS. What feature (hardware/software) does WP7 focus exactly? None that a current gen iOS/Android don't already do.

Android is incorporating new google services (Google Wallet for example) while iOS continue its iOS eco-system expansion through different new techs (airplay, BT4, new sensors... etc)

WP7 offers nothing that the other OSes don't do. MS simply optimized according to their own vision. As of today, WP7 is no different (in terms of functions you can do) than iOS/Android. Maybe when MS provides more stuff like XBOX integration, we can see some more differentiation in WP7
Old 01-30-2012, 05:38 AM   #29

where microsoft diffrentiates really is just the user interface and making everything simpler/easier to do based on what ive read ppl find it easier to use/learn than iOS

there's not much you can really do to differentiate in smartphones they can all have the same types of services/hardware differentiation really only lies in the UI and UX (atm the Nokia N9 kicks ass in this regard)

even "airplay" symbian/android have dlna and nfc

google wallet too nokias got their own too in symbian

what isn't a "me-too" os

Xbox live exists in WP that connects ur xbox account but Sony has their PS3 integration meh
Old 01-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #30
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

The plot thickens...
tgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #31

yeah not much info on that but supposedly its the euro Lumia 900 that's lacking LTE but has a 12mpx camera

its only been on 1 retailer site though as far as ive heard so /shrug
Old 01-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #32
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I have used a Mango phone (a HTC) for 10 min, so I can't comment for the exact accuracy. But from a user point of view, WP7 is indeed a me-too OS. What feature (hardware/software) does WP7 focus exactly? None that a current gen iOS/Android don't already do.

Android is incorporating new google services (Google Wallet for example) while iOS continue its iOS eco-system expansion through different new techs (airplay, BT4, new sensors... etc)

WP7 offers nothing that the other OSes don't do. MS simply optimized according to their own vision. As of today, WP7 is no different (in terms of functions you can do) than iOS/Android. Maybe when MS provides more stuff like XBOX integration, we can see some more differentiation in WP7
Theres a few things WP is better at doing than other smart phones. 1 contact history is great on Windows Phone not only can I see the text messages between myself and my buddy Tyler @ work but I can see MSN messeges and Outlook e-mails for quick reference. How would you do that on a iPhone or Android phone open up Mail and search history? On a WP its right in the People Hub.

Also what do you expect smartphones are meant for communication Windows Phone is different when it comes to UI it pretty much does the same fundental features but its just easier on a Windows phone and the #smokedbywindowsphone contest shows that.

For people that dont want to pay up for a iPhone or for people that dont want to put up with Google's antics then WP is the perfect phone. Its not a hard phone to recommend the only downside is APP's but most of the time all you need is a webbrowser and your good. If your not a app heavy guy this phone is great the integration covers most of the necessary apps anyway
g604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #33
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Any new OS will have a lack of applications to begin with. I don't think it should ever deter anybody from buying a phone.

Even with my N9 on MeeGo, it had everything I needed integrated into the phone. Anything within the Ovi Store was simply a bonus.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 01-30-2012 at 07:41 PM.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #34
HELP ME PLS!!!

For me, it's Kakaotalk, and until WP7 gets that, which is highly unlikely, as it's made for Koreans (where 99% of the population uses Android/iOS). I won't even consider it.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #35

kakaotalk oO wth is that
Old 01-31-2012, 05:28 AM   #36
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Kakaotalk is like Whatsapp, but Korean oriented/developed.

It's the dominating msging platform for Koreans.

Back to the topic, I think in the era of smartphones, you consider the entirety when making a purchase. Just designing a good UI is not enough to compete in this era. I welcome competition. It's always at our (consumer) best interest. But so far, WP7 is not giving its best.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Kakaotalk is like Whatsapp, but Korean oriented/developed.

It's the dominating msging platform for Koreans.

Back to the topic, I think in the era of smartphones, you consider the entirety when making a purchase. Just designing a good UI is not enough to compete in this era. I welcome competition. It's always at our (consumer) best interest. But so far, WP7 is not giving its best.
It not about having a good UI alot of people consider price when buyinig a phone. For 49$ Lumia 710 is a great phone the only thing you can consider a threat is the 99$ iPhone 4 but if you want to cough up an extra 50$ go for it.

I think WP7 is giving its best its changing the market when it comes to pricing your getting the 710 for 49$ great deal and the rumor Lumia 900 for 99$ thats going to force Android and iOS to maybe re-consider pricing their smart phones.

In terms of features I think WP7 is doing great look at how ICS copied some of the WP7 features Android Ice Cream Sandwich Lifts Features From Windows Phone

Also with the rumored Tango release WP will be able to support 120 languages + more features and thats what I call bringing it.

What do you expect Windows phone to do just curious?
Old 01-31-2012, 01:18 PM   #38

eh supporting more languages isnt anything special considering they had what 4 languages prior to that? (and its been how many years already?)

as for Android copying other OS's... that's their MO so no surprise they've taken bits and pieces from everywhere especially Maemo

competitive contract pricing is alright i guess... but nokia phones have always been cheaper to purchase (even unlocked) you can buy the 710 up here for $255 not on contract

but the 710 isn't meant to compete with the iphone
Old 01-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
eh supporting more languages isnt anything special considering they had what 4 languages prior to that? (and its been how many years already?)

as for Android copying other OS's... that's their MO so no surprise they've taken bits and pieces from everywhere especially Maemo

competitive contract pricing is alright i guess... but nokia phones have always been cheaper to purchase (even unlocked) you can buy the 710 up here for $255 not on contract

but the 710 isn't meant to compete with the iphone
Languages are important 120 is alot better than the current 35 on iOS. Its pretty sweet being able to type natively in your language is going to be pretty sweet considering the WP keyboard is blazing fast.

710 is meant to compete with any low-end smartphone 3GS falls in that category. I mean look at the rumored 99$ Lumia 900 with LTE thats a steal other Android phones are more expensive hopefully Lumias pricing will impact how other OEMS price their phones.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #40
HELP ME PLS!!!

I just got an email back from a customer service rep of kakaotalk, that makes their native chat app for ios, android, and blackberry. They said they wont have their app available for windows 7 desktop anytime soon in the near future, when I specifically asked for windows phone 7 os in the email. Just goes to show how popular WP7 is outside of NA.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #41
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,381 Times in 3,463 Posts
The 710 is already being sold at some Rogers locations (none in Nanaimo) for $250 bought outright. Seems like a pretty good deal. It is petraband so it can also work on wind.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
I just got an email back from a customer service rep of kakaotalk, that makes their native chat app for ios, android, and blackberry. They said they wont have their app available for windows 7 desktop anytime soon in the near future, when I specifically asked for windows phone 7 os in the email. Just goes to show how popular WP7 is outside of NA.
Posted via RS Mobile
Its more popular in certain markets for example the demand in Denmark apparently met iPhone 4s numbers. I'm not sure how its doing in Korea I don't know if its going to do great but I have a hinch that more Korean like games will show up on Windows Phone and that will start turning heads towards the platform.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #43

well the Lumias are only released in a handful of countries

side note though WP7 marketplace has skyrocketed recently its up to 60k or 65k apps

i imagine wants the lumias are released in korea (if they're even headed there) that'll help in getting some korean apps but that market is dominated by samsungdroid and their own KDM phones/os'

kind of like Japan
Old 01-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #44

Supposedly Rogers is picking up the 900 and releasing it in May

Rogers to release the Nokia Lumia 900 | MobileSyrup.com
Old 01-31-2012, 11:15 PM   #45
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Supposedly Rogers is picking up the 900 and releasing it in May

Rogers to release the Nokia Lumia 900 | MobileSyrup.com
Honestly, by that time, I highly doubt it would matter much at all, if the rumors are true that the SGS3 and iPhone 5 will be out then.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:49 PM   #46

it does seem a long wait but it isnt even going to the states until mid-march sometime

odd that at&t scored a "worldwide" exclusive for like 45days ish it doesnt make sense considering they're only based in the US

as for whether or not its still relevant by that time, i imagine it will be for WP fans at least and for those consumers who want something "different" from the rest of the pack

i dont see it making significant moves though and neither does NokSoft they're just hoping to "land on the beaches" of NA
Old 02-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #47
HELP ME PLS!!!

Well, isn't the point of the Lumia series to capture users away from Android and iOS, since they make up over 70% of the global smartphone user base? It just seems to me that Nokia always announces or releases products at an untimely fashion where it often places them at a disadvantage, even dating back from the N95 days. Just my opinion.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #48

^^^ the Lumia line is supposed to be the best WP7 phones out there and its goal is to get WP moving but they're not meant to be the killer #1 nokia phones released that will kill the competition that's not supposed to happen until Nokia can get their plans for WP implemented by microsoft (there will even be Symbian phones released this year that out-spec and perform their WP phones)

if killing the competition now were the case for them then they may as well kill themselves

as for the N95 it killed worldwide :P but i agree Nokia always had a problem of releasing loooooooooooong after announcing devices but they've finally "rectified" that (6months or less after announcement is fantastic for them)
Old 02-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #49

Quote:
it does seem a long wait but it isnt even going to the states until mid-march sometime

odd that at&t scored a "worldwide" exclusive for like 45days ish it doesnt make sense considering they're only based in the US

as for whether or not its still relevant by that time, i imagine it will be for WP fans at least and for those consumers who want something "different" from the rest of the pack

i dont see it making significant moves though and neither does NokSoft they're just hoping to "land on the beaches" of NA
I have a hunch Lumia 900 wasn't released because the OS isn't ready yet and if the rumors are right if they price this phone at 99$ it can make a significant impact. But it seems like the WP7.5 is a transitional phone more people will pay attention to it when Windows 8 launches.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
Well, isn't the point of the Lumia series to capture users away from Android and iOS, since they make up over 70% of the global smartphone user base? It just seems to me that Nokia always announces or releases products at an untimely fashion where it often places them at a disadvantage, even dating back from the N95 days. Just my opinion.
The goal for MS and Nokia partnership is to pair the MS Windows OS with great Nokia hardware. Without Nokia Microsoft WP would of died by now Nokia is pretty much saving them.