REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Disputing Parking Ticket (https://www.revscene.net/forums/661099-disputing-parking-ticket.html)

Derek_N84 01-10-2012 08:05 PM

Disputing Parking Ticket

Just curious to how many people here on Revscene disputed a parking/by-law ticket and won? I know the back of the ticket says the adjudicator does not consider extenuating circumstances, so I just wanted an opinion before I risk paying a full penalty for a failed dispute.

Just got one on 100 block of Cordova because I was waiting in a no stopping spot waiting for the car in front to leave the meter spot. Meter maid smart car pulls up with lights and hands me a ticket. I explained to her that I was waiting for the parking spot and she says too bad because she already printed it but I can try to dispute the ticket if I like. I mean my car was still on and I did it to avoid blocking a traffic lane.

TIA

Jgresch 01-10-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek_N84 (Post 7757101)
Just curious to how many people here on Revscene disputed a parking/by-law ticket and won? I know the back of the ticket says the adjudicator does not consider extenuating circumstances, so I just wanted an opinion before I risk paying a full penalty for a failed dispute.

Just got one on 100 block of Cordova because I was waiting in a no stopping spot waiting for the car in front to leave the meter spot. Meter maid smart car pulls up with lights and hands me a ticket. I explained to her that I was waiting for the parking spot and she says too bad because she already printed it but I can try to dispute the ticket if I like. I mean my car was still on and I did it to avoid blocking a traffic lane.

TIA

that is all.

drunkrussian 01-10-2012 09:21 PM

one time i parked and payed for the wrong spot. phoned and got it waived. they asked info but their system doesnt have a record of anything so it was just to prove im not bs'ig. if negotiating on the phone doesnt work go to court and they wont show up and itll be waived? isnt that what they say?
Posted via RS Mobile

b0unce. [?] 01-10-2012 09:28 PM

just dispute it anyways. you'll probably win.

fishCak3s 01-10-2012 11:35 PM

dispute it and don't do it again

winson604 01-11-2012 06:54 AM

It's $50 if you pay and $125 if you lose the dispute. In my opinion I would just pay it, one thing that came out of the new adjudication system is that it's supposed to be more black and white so you either did it or you didn't. Now the adjudicator is human too and there's always a chance they will side with you but in this situation I would pay.

taylor192 01-11-2012 07:37 AM

They must be cracking down on this, I saw it ticketed twice in the past few weeks.

toyobaru 01-11-2012 07:38 AM

just kinda curious does changing your plates work to get yourself out of a situation like this?

InvisibleSoul 01-11-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syndicated (Post 7757557)
just kinda curious does changing your plates work to get yourself out of a situation like this?

Not for city issued tickets.

gars 01-11-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Nope. Unlike the private lots like Diamond Parking or ImPark, The City of Vancouver can actually go after the owner legally and changing your license plate won't do anything.

winson604 01-11-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

The City and their colections aren't wimpy like Diamon Parking who will just harass you with phone calls for a little while. Not only will the ticket go up to $150 I think it is but they will get the money from you one way or another. They can even garnish wages to get it if they choose to do so.

rubencruz 01-11-2012 11:12 AM

Got a tix yesterday ! I'm disputing it
Posted via RS Mobile

seakrait 01-11-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 7757579)
Nope. Unlike the private lots like Diamond Parking or ImPark, The City of Vancouver can actually go after the owner legally and changing your license plate won't do anything.

ICBC provides a vehicle's Registered Owner information to BOTH the City AND private parking corporations (like Impark). So even if you change your license plate, the City AND Impark will know that you still own the car.

ajax 01-11-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seakrait (Post 7758793)
ICBC provides a vehicle's Registered Owner information to BOTH the City AND private parking corporations (like Impark). So even if you change your license plate, the City AND Impark will know that you still own the car.

Rule of thumb: pay city tickets, forget private tickets. The only way impark will know you still own the car is if they ask for the information of the new plate.
Posted via RS Mobile

gars 01-11-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Impark will go after the owner with harrasing phone calls and letters - but they know that if they ever try taking it to court - they will never be able to recoup the full price of the ticket.

IF you change your license plate - Impark won't know that the new plate is owned by that owner - therefore they won't tow your car on site.

FerrariEnzo 01-11-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

you can pay the money to change your plates, but the city will still come after you... Not very smart to owe the city money...

Quote:

Where's your source for this... ICBC cant not just give out personal info just coz someone wants it... it needs to be done through the courts or legally... So i will doubt private ticket companys will pay for fees for this..

seakrait 01-12-2012 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajax (Post 7758978)
The only way impark will know you still own the car is if they ask for the information of the new plate.
Posted via RS Mobile

true.
Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 7759046)
IF you change your license plate - Impark won't know that the new plate is owned by that owner - therefore they won't tow your car on site.

true. but remember, if you get a ticket on that new plate AND you don't pay, now they'll know that both plates have belonged to you. so the next time you park in that company's lot with that new plate, your car might get towed. unless you've changed your plate yet again after that last ticket.
Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo (Post 7759048)
you can pay the money to change your plates, but the city will still come after you... Not very smart to owe the city money...

true. you MIGHT get a phone call from the police department (at least for parking tickets with the City of Vancouver) warning you that failure to pay will result in a traffic bench warrant. Potentially, at your next traffic stop, you could get hauled to jail (probably not though).
Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo (Post 7759048)
Where's your source for this... ICBC cant not just give out personal info just coz someone wants it... it needs to be done through the courts or legally... So i will doubt private ticket companys will pay for fees for this..

the same way translink gets your information from ICBC when you owe them money for crossing a toll bridge without a quickpass transponder:
Quote:

Q: How do I pay the toll if I am not a registered Quickpass customer?
Spoiler!

i've posted about this before on RS. here: http://www.revscene.net/forums/63435...ml#post7253302

from impark's website (should you choose to believe them):
Quote:

How Did You Get my Name and Address and What do you do With This Information?
Spoiler!

TL;DR: Parking corporations pay a fee to access your information from ICBC under the BC Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. They are allowed to do so because they have a debt to collect from you.

seakrait 01-13-2012 12:50 PM

since yesterday's posts all got deleted...

translink security is not part of transit police (http://www.transitpolice.bc.ca/en/Common-Questions.aspx). transit police cannot look up your info from the ICBC database for translink to send you a bill for using a toll bridge. a bill for using the bridge is not the same as getting a fine for, say, fare evasion (http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bcl...side/13_377_85). that's a civil issue vs. a criminal issue.

and the key is that getting a parking ticket, from a parking corporation like IMPARK, is only a civil matter.

with translink, its billing department goes to ICBC and gets your info under the BC FOIPPA - S.33.1(1)(i)(i)(A) (Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act). basically this allows your information to be shared if you owe a public body money.

that is the same part of the act that enables IMPARK to get your information from ICBC for a fee.

kbd 01-16-2012 10:39 AM

Hey Derek let me know the outcome if you decide to dispute.
I got one for parking less than 6 meters to the closest edge of the sidewalk.

It was a borderline ticket, IMO I was greater than 6 metres away, guess the attendant was especially anal that day.

joe12345 07-10-2013 08:58 AM

Parking Ticket No Sign, Driveway In Between Signs

I'm parking on a street in Vancouver and the street fits two cars between driveways . The no parking sign without a permit are not on the curb between the two driveways where I am parking, they are on either side of where I am parked.

Where I am parking has no sign and I got a ticket. Do driveways on the street nullify no parking signs or should I have known that the curb between the driveways is a no parking area without a permit?

Should I fight it? Has anyone won this type of ticket?

Presto 07-10-2013 09:15 AM

What did the ticket say you did wrong? You have to be a certain distance away from the driveway.

4444 07-10-2013 10:22 AM

i've 'heard' - so take this with a HUGE grain of salt, that if you dispute a parking ticket with CoV, it'll never go to court and will just go away... i fought one for my gf - we never heard anything about it, this was perhaps 2.5 years ago? (i fought it because they didn't even stop to serve me - whether I was stopped or not was a totally different question (borderline))

shenmecar 07-10-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Presto (Post 8278266)
What did the ticket say you did wrong? You have to be a certain distance away from the driveway.

im thinking it's this.
Posted via RS Mobile

mickz 07-10-2013 11:32 AM

... so you parked in front of a driveway?

winson604 07-10-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4444 (Post 8278306)
i've 'heard' - so take this with a HUGE grain of salt, that if you dispute a parking ticket with CoV, it'll never go to court and will just go away... i fought one for my gf - we never heard anything about it, this was perhaps 2.5 years ago? (i fought it because they didn't even stop to serve me - whether I was stopped or not was a totally different question (borderline))

That doesn't apply anymore. The City of Vancouver like many other municipalities have gone to an Adjudication System now which means instead of going through BC Courts it goes to a Third Party Adjudicator and I dare anyway to think they can just "ignore" the tickets.

Some people think we're still on the same system until they get cocky and "ignore" the ticket on purpose until it's time for them to get a mortgage or buy a car and realize they are being denied because of outstanding tickets on file that are affecting their credit rating.

This is not Diamond Parking my friends so either pay or dispute. FYI every violation when written has a picture of your car doing the crime so if you don't have hard evidence that proves otherwise I probably wouldn't bother disputing.