REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 01-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Criminology?

Long story short, not attending BCIT in February for Automotive anymore and decided to take Criminology and was hoping some of you could chime in!

My intended plan during high school (if I did wanna take something criminology related) was to take it at SFU but due to my laziness (I know, I regret it) my grades aren't good enough to get into SFU. After some researching I decided I'll take it at Douglas College first and then do a transfer to SFU in the future.

I'm hoping to get replies from current and former post-secondary students that took Criminology. How was it? What institution did you go to?
Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
taking it at douglas. I enjoy it! During registration usually gotta go on waitlist to get in on courses.
Posted via RS Mobile
Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I use to be a business major at SFU, but transfered into Criminology. I gotta say, i love it, and it's probably one of the best academic decisions i have made!

It's not the easiest major to be in, but all the profs here mark fair(ish)!
I have been a TA for a few courses and will say that most of your lower division courses will have a lot of overlapping material, but it can be overwhelming at times because there may be a lot of material to cover depending on the course.
Be prepared to read the book and assume you know nothing! A lot of things you read will seem like common sense, but do not assume that! profs tend to test on materials that may seem to be common sense to many people, so remember to pay attention to details.
Prepare to do a lot of writing and reading during your senior years since most upper division courses are theory extensive. However, these courses are also very practical based. You will see how all the theories you've learnt apply in real life and gets very fun and interesting.

I havent attended other schools like douglas, but i have herd positive reviews about it.
Basic principle applies: Just make sure your interested in criminology, willing to do a lot of reading and writing, and you'll do fine!

IF you do end up at sfu. Barry Cartwright, Simon Verdun-Jones and Ehor Boyanowsky are must take professors!

............Try staying away from Jennifer Wong .....and maybe Sheri Fabian (unless your willing to put in alot of work. SHe's a very hard and specific paper marker.. but overall a good prof!).

Good Luck!
GTO-demon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Female Driven

^ VERDUN-JONES IS AWESOME. And I agree with Jennifer Wong...she's a hard and unreasonable marker. Fabian is not bad of a lecturer/professor...but yes she is very VERY specific with papers and research projects!

I think you should choose something that you have a high interest in and love. I love what I'm studying and Criminology can be VERY fun (given the fact that I always knew I wanted to get into this field).

----------------------------------
Before sex, you help each other get naked. After sex, you only dress yourself.
Moral of story: In life, no one helps you once you're fucked.
FI-Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
Started out with crim at UFV, now transferred into business.
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,021 Posts
Expect lots of essay writing and reading. Like, LOTS of essay writing.

Take a few classes, if its not your thing, GTFO and don't waste time.

There are some small talk with my friends saying crim not having very good immediate opportunities after grad. Its a degree that needs supplements to give you an edge or specialty. How much truth there is in that, I'm not sure.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

in terms of difficulty, i don't think its very academically challenging though thats my opinion from taking quite a few lower div crims and 3 upper div crims. lowest i got were B's while the majority of them ended up being B+ to A range with minimal effort. biggest tip i could say is to get barry cartwright as a prof for any of ur courses at sfu.

like evofire said, expect a lot of papers and reading (i remember having to read some pretty indepth articles and academic journals in crim 131 that were extremely difficult to comprehend). other than that, i found criminology to be one of those few subjects i actually had an interest in. i wish i was a crim major so i could take some of the upper division courses offered like the ones on drugs and gangs lol
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 3,712 Times in 467 Posts
You wanna become a cop?
Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
My gf just transferred from Langara to SFU for Crim. She seems to find quite an interest in it but can't say whether she enjoys it at SFU yet since this is her first semester there. She took a bunch of Crim courses at Langara though. I think her goal is to find a Co-Op job and to eventually work in Corrections! There's a bunch of things you can go into I think, including CBSA and policing etc.
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
i did crim for 2.5 years at kwantlen like... 7 years ago or something.

crim was fun sorta. forensic anthropology was my favourite course
it was basically CSI/get away with murder 101. had to remember too many bones though lol.

anyway, psychology is a big part of the course. you have to take beginner to late level psych.

anyway as the courses went on, after you pass all the basic level crims and sociologies and psychs... i found criminology became too much like psychology.

i thought it would be a lot more "crime" related. not the "criminal psychology" part, and emphasis on psychology. a lot of the courses i took felt like they were on the most part, psychology with a dash of crim thrown in.

my friend took crim at UCLA and his experience was TOTALLY different. they could specialize in different majors within crim

like "criminology, specialization in gang crime"
and a lot of the courses involved field work etc.
that was what i was expecting... but...

this is vancouver what do you expect. lol. just be prepared to do a lot of "psych" type courses after the first and second year.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
i dunno just reminds me of this
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 4,970 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
i did crim for 2.5 years at kwantlen like... 7 years ago or something.

crim was fun sorta. forensic anthropology was my favourite course
it was basically CSI/get away with murder 101. had to remember too many bones though lol.

anyway, psychology is a big part of the course. you have to take beginner to late level psych.

anyway as the courses went on, after you pass all the basic level crims and sociologies and psychs... i found criminology became too much like psychology.

i thought it would be a lot more "crime" related. not the "criminal psychology" part, and emphasis on psychology. a lot of the courses i took felt like they were on the most part, psychology with a dash of crim thrown in.

my friend took crim at UCLA and his experience was TOTALLY different. they could specialize in different majors within crim

like "criminology, specialization in gang crime"
and a lot of the courses involved field work etc.
that was what i was expecting... but...

this is vancouver what do you expect. lol. just be prepared to do a lot of "psych" type courses after the first and second year.
I'm still in HS and I'm planning to pursue a Bachelor of Arts in Criminology @ Kwantlen after graduating. Planning on becoming a cop
Is Kwantlen difficult to get into? Are there any specific requirements? I goofed high school so I don't think my grades would get me into SFU
V4NC1TY is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
if you can't get straight into SFU, then do a university transfer from douglas or langara

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #14
d1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

You don't need a Crim degree to go into things like policing or the cbsa. In fact, it's probably better to major in something else since they claim to be looking for candidates who are more well rounded.
d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #15
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
That was my logic in switching out of CJ and into Bus. If you don't end up working in the CJS, what are you going to do with a Crim degree? It doesn't seem very practical.
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 4,970 Times in 385 Posts
Well, I really enjoy learning about the government system and criminal law (going to take Law 12 & History 12 next year)
If a criminology degree is useless, then I'm stuck
V4NC1TY is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #17
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
if you can't get straight into SFU, then do a university transfer from douglas or langara
V4NC1TY this is what I'm doing since I suffered the same fate in high school haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1 View Post
You don't need a Crim degree to go into things like policing or the cbsa. In fact, it's probably better to major in something else since they claim to be looking for candidates who are more well rounded.
Thats what I've heard too but at the moment I don't have any specific careers in mind but I want to be involved with the government one way or another
Posted via RS Mobile
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #18
Meow

I am thinking about going the same route, I was very interested in going to the JIBC for the Law Enforcement Studies Diploma, but apparently that the LESD isn't that great. I am planning on two years of Douglas, and then two years of SFU, majoring in Criminology, my goal is to join the Vancouver police department, not the RCMP, and hopefully, join gang squad. I wan't a better education to improve my chances of moving up in the force. I also need to start at Douglas because, I had a very shitty high school career, and still need to fix some things before even going to Douglas, but I do know this is what I want to do.
Araaadi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #19
Banned By Establishment

I started out at Douglas College then transferred to SFU a year later. I received an excellent education at both institutions. Be prepared to write a lot, but it is very much doable. A lot of the things you learn in Crim will be similar to other majors within the social sciences, so you will have a lot of transferable skills/knowledge (i.e. research methods, statistics, etc.).
Near the end of my academic career at SFU, I opted to complete a practicum in lieu of regular coursework and ended up working for the VPD for 4 months, and it was extremely rewarding--they really have a great program.

There are many career options with a Crim degree (eg police officer, corrections, social worker, probation, etc.).

As for me, I was just like you in that I totally slacked in HS. I enrolled at Douglas, worked really hard, transferred to SFU, and graduated with a 4.00+ GPA, and now I'm headed off to law school. As long as you put your heart to it, you will suceed in any major, but criminology was great for me.
JudeChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #20
Giggidy Giggidy Member

Old thread revive, but wanted to shoot a bit of advice in the same vein as JudeChow's, to anyone contemplating taking crim with the end goal of attending law school: While I enjoyed my program (also SFU) in terms of content, it has not given me any competitive advantage in law school beyond basic familiarity with a few criminal law terms. Furthermore, I don't believe it made any difference in admissions, and it certainly did not give me any advantage on the LSAT. My advice would be to pursue crim if it's something you'll actually enjoy and therefore will excel in, but don't do it under the pretense that it'll give you any sort of leg up in admissions or otherwise. Take what you like and what you're good at; there is no "pre-law" major...there are kids in my 1L class that took everything from music/fine arts all the way to biophysics and engineering.

As an aside: I did practicum as well in lieu of my final semester and would highly recommend it. I also did co-op and found both programs to be great.
SiNzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #21
Banned By Establishment

I agree. There are indeed no pre-law majors. The law touches a variety of fields, and I don't think any particular major will give you a distinct advantage. As for the LSAT, I heard engineering and philosophy majors do the best. Whether this is due to the discipline that they study or that people who are good at the LSAT are more inclined to select these majors are another matter.
JudeChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #22
Giggidy Giggidy Member

^Based on anecdotal evidence from classmates, I would say that's generally true as well (regarding engineering/physics). Something I wish I'd done in undergrad, as an arts student, is to have taken a course in formal logic....I believe that would have helped on the LSAT.
SiNzz is offline   Reply With Quote