REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Pet Forum

Pet Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Where my dogs at?! In here..
Where pet lovers congregate..

Old 01-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
I don't get it

My dog needs to get spayed!

Hey Everyone,

It’s time for my dog to get spayed next month and was just wondering what is a good place to get it done. Granville Island Vet is charging $445 for the procedure (fluids included - not sure what fluids are needed?). This sounds like robbery! I just checked out the SPCA website and they charge $139. Any recommendations/experiences out there?

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
lilgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
I don't get it

forgot to mention the $445 at Granville Island Vet includes the chip
whereas the $139 at SPCA is just for the spaying
lilgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
VLS Pet Forum Mod

Fluids is an IV. This can be good for smaller breeds. It really depends on the dog. The surgery is so quick and most vets have done it so much that it is a simple procedure. I usually set it up so fluids can be used if there is an issue. Best thing to do is phone around $400 is high. Unfortunately where the vet is located can affect their pricing due to price of lease on the building.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Cost was a couple hundred to get Groucho neutered, but that included painkillers, fluids, and pretty much everything else needed. For Dusty, a friend suggested another vet that was "only $65"... but by the time they added up painkillers, fluids, and pretty much everything else needed, it came to almost $200 as well.

Neither fluids nor painkillers are NECESSARY... but as Lil Bastrd suggests, IV fluids are usually recommended for smaller dogs during any surgery, because they can dehydrate easily while they're under.

And painkillers, well... that's just to alleviate the dog's discomfort. Groucho really needed them the first couple days as he really had trouble sleeping... Dusty never seemed to even know anything had happened; we gave him the meds the first night home but he never seemed to need them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
My Rottie, Kona is ready to get spayed. I just got pricing from the vet I use for her and my Yorkie, Buster. Eagle Ridge Animal Hospital, just West of Coquitlam Centre.

$176+tax for spay (under 1YO) incl. IV and pretty much anything else needed. They also trim her nails for whatever reason.

It's advised to get them either a tattoo or chip at the same time since they're asleep anyways and won't move around.

Tattoo $32+tax, microchip $60+tax. So $236 vs. $445 from your vet.

We spend a lot of money on our dogs from quality food, to toys, to professional training, to grooming. They've treated us and all our pets very well for the last 3 years - they just happen to be very reasonably priced.

Keep in mind that the overhead on Granville Island is a lot higher and I assume the clientele has more disposable income (in general), which would explain the higher cost.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
SPCA is the cheapest around. I had a quote for my Daschund at Yaletown Pet Hospital for 400-600 so thanks, but no, thanks.

The experience at SPCA Vancouver was pretty painless. They took mine in the morning and he was ready in the afternoon (or it was overnight I don't even remember). When I pick him up, he wasn't even scared. He was very happy actually, although a bit dazed from the anesthesia. They took good care of him. The stitches were initially visible but were every clean. My dog didn't even bother licking at it.

Oh they automatically tattoo your dog if you do it at SPCA. Mine was very well done inside the ear (he has floppy ears) so it wasn't visible. They also ask to trim your dog nails free of charge.

I would also say the reception at SPCA Vancouver was mile better than the one at Yaletown. The receptionist girl at Yaletown gave me cold shoulders.

Last edited by Nlkko; 01-22-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote