REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #26
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
fringe is on friday night though..that's a death trap for any prime time drama
Advertisement
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:49 AM   #27
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
It's not looking good at all, I know Fox isn't making any profit from selling ad space due to the low ratings and the sizable budget for production. Fringe has good DVR+7 ratings but most advertisers could care less, as people who record their favorite shows on DVRs would fast forward/skip the commercials anyways.

The one tiny hope for Fringe is that it is not a Fox produced production. It's done by Warner Bros., so there has been some speculation WB might be looking to shop Fringe to another network if Fox decides against renewal.
Honestly who doesn't have a pvr anymore. Nielsen ratings is archaic way of measuring audiences.

Never understood why shows I watch on broadcast networks are always so low rated but critically loved. (fringe, community, parks and rec, Chuck, 30 rock). Exception being office and modern family.

Is middle America that dumb to follow these shows?
Old 01-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #28
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
I'm watching the pilot right now and so far I'm not impressed.

Why is it that Fox TV shows (or network television in general) typically throw plausibility out the window? Do they think their viewers consist primarily of complete morons who turn off the logical side of their brains when watching TV?

Let's see. Befriending a civilian to dig up info about some Alcatraz guy, on an investigation in which she has no jurisdiction. Finding a bunch of super secret files in some conveniently open cellar. Drawing her weapon over some creek sound. The 2 dumb guards who decide to go clear an entire prison by themselves, instead of calling it in first. "Maybe they forgot? Herp derp This is Alcatraz, they never forget, herp derp let's go clear this prison by ourselves, eff reporting this in first derp". Oh, don't forget the part where she said her uncle/father cop brought home files on open cases, and she helped herself by going over all of it. Talk about comprimising the integrity of an investigation. She solved a few cases too? Over-achieving, conceited little girl in action.

I'm not a moron, but I am no means the most intelligent person either. I'm just a regular guy, and I can tell when I see crappy writing in a TV show.

This show is a joke.

edit: Jesus this show gets worse and worse. She calls in an officer down over the walkie, but doesn't give a location. Good job. Who was the technical advisor on this job?

Last edited by nns; 01-23-2012 at 08:38 PM.
nns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #29
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff99 View Post
Honestly who doesn't have a pvr anymore. Nielsen ratings is archaic way of measuring audiences.
Yes it is, but it is still the only effective way of measuring LIVE viewing, which is the most important figure. The problem, the public generally believes networks and studios produce tv shows with the #1 goal of entertaining the public, the #1 goal is always to sell ad space, #2 is sydication, then 3rd might be to entertain. The biggest event every year for all the networks, is the upfronts, where the networks pitch the shows and numbers to potential advertisers and sponsors.

Again a network could care less about DVR numbers, because they can't use that to effectively pitch advertisers and sponsors as anyone who watches a show on DVR is going to fast forward through all the commercial breaks. There has been some adjustment to DVRs by the use of more product placements in the shows themselves, but increasingly advertisers are not content with just having their product in the show, they want it featured, so this is where you'll now notice, a shot linger on a product/logo or a character on the tv show making use of a product and its features and commenting on it.

On the productions I've worked on, this has lead to backlash from some fans and critics as it takes away from the show, but you can't have it both ways, either accept the increased product placements/features or watch more live tv, its a bit of a catch we're stuck in.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #30

I'm fine with product placements if they keep my shows on the air ala Chuck, 24 back in the day and Fringe.

No one I even know have a ratings box.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #31

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
fringe is on friday night though..that's a death trap for any prime time drama
Worked for the X-Files... maybe they're playing on that idea?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #32

Yes but X-Files didnt have PVRs, internet and piracy to compete against.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #33
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
and the X-Files were on a completely different level compared to Fringe
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #34

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Granted, but they're aimed at the same sort of audience. I remember a lot of discussion back in the day over the fact that the X-Files DID do so well in that time slot, despite the traditional logic that it shouldn't. It was noted at the time, that's most of the target audience were hardcore geeks who were sitting home alone on Friday nights anyway

(off-topic: reminds me of how Tom Harrison once described Tracy Chapman as "music for depressed yuppies stuck home alone on a Friday night")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #35
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,169 Times in 249 Posts
"is anyone else's head exploding right now?"
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #36
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Some fans of the TV show "Alcatraz" aren't so bright -- because they're infiltrating guided tours on the real-life island to search for a top secret room ... that only exists on the scripted drama!

National Parks Service rep Alexandra Picavet tells TMZ ... tourists are starting to stray from their tours and sneak into "closed areas" on the former federal prison.

Picavet says many of the not-so-super sleuths have confessed they're looking for a high tech control room ... described on the show as a "bat-cave underneath Alcatraz."

Keep in mind the show just debuted last week. Crazy spreads quickly.

Picavet says they've now posted the following sign on the island: "The TV show Alcatraz is fictional, many areas it depicts are not real. Closed areas protect you, historic structures and nesting birds."

Parks Service peeps assure us the room doesn't exist. They also say the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy aren't real, so ... believe what you want.
'Alcatraz' TV Show -- Delusional Fans Trying to Break In to Prison | TMZ.com

wow, people are stupid the Alcatraz batcave is on the lot at North Shore Studios morons! haha
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #37
Director of RS Cares

I missed the season premiere but caught this week's episode. I guess this post is somewhat biased since I've only watched one episode (and will need to continue this season to really judge how I feel) but I personally didn't like it that much. I felt there wasn't much of a connection within the characters and didn't believe the people the actors were trying to embody. I'm totally stoked that Sam Neil is in it (Jurassic Park..hello!? LOVED him) but I think there could be more work done.

Also, I guess it's hard to fall in love just yet considering I've been a Law and Order:SVU for years and I think Chris Meloni and Mariska Hartigay were byfar the best tv duo EVER.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #38
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Am I the only one that had a big wtf thought for this week's episode when the mom said her 11 year old son watches simpons, south park, and the biggest kicker, king of the hill?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #39
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_crayon View Post
Also, I guess it's hard to fall in love just yet considering I've been a Law and Order:SVU for years and I think Chris Meloni and Mariska Hartigay were byfar the best tv duo EVER.
Wrong....Dana Scully and Mulder!

I hope this doesn't turn into what Smallville did for a good 80% of their series: Freak of the week scenarios.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:05 AM   #40
I don't get it

sarah jones (girl who plays rebecca) is fucking hot.
Cassijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #41

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
Wrong....Dana Scully and Mulder!

I hope this doesn't turn into what Smallville did for a good 80% of their series: Freak of the week scenarios.
i'm pretty sure most of this season will be a freak of the week...the same reason why I couldn't get into season 1 of the fringe

aside from the pilot I'm losing interest
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #42
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
so first season is over, what r ur thoughts if u actually watched the whole season?
the ending confused me a bit tho...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #43
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Confusing indeed. The season finale was weak.
Too little details throughout the series.
What happened to the gold? How old actually is Warden in the present? Instead of San Francisco, they're all over the world.
way2quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #44
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Yeah it wasn't the greatest ending for the series. I'm assuming the lead chic isn't dead and will be alive for season 2.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #45
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by way2quik View Post
What happened to the gold? How old actually is Warden in the present? Instead of San Francisco, they're all over the world.
no shit ur confused. that was a map of the usa, not the whole world
Cassijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #46
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanks. That clarified a lot of things. It all makes sense now.
way2quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by way2quik View Post
well assuming warden was 20 something back when he worked as an inmate transfer guard in 63, and now its 2012, that puts him at 70 something years old lol.
Quote:
Quote:
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassijon View Post
no shit ur confused. that was a map of the usa, not the whole world
north america just to clarify, that was a map of north america..........
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-29-2012, 12:56 AM   #49
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
This show is pretty dumb.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: