REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #26
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
maybe the officer was having a bad night after catching several people sliding around in parking lots and was starting to get fed up, so he gave you the heaviest fine in the book

just my 2 cents
Advertisement
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #27
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explosive911 View Post
Step 1: have an awesome rwd bmw with snow tires

Wow, get off your horse. You got caught, boo hoo for you. Suck it up Princess.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #28
My homepage has been set to RS

op u took your chance and lost. def dispute if possible but ifnot they hav merit

as for the guy who got fined for accidentally sliding on a turn during snow - that is complete bullshit. inwould make such a fucking stink in courts, and everywhere else if that halpened to me. cops need to use their resources for better things than harassing people trying to be careful in the shit weather
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #29
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post

Wow, get off your horse. You got caught, boo hoo for you. Suck it up Princess.
i drive an e30 bro, i have no high horse
Explosive911 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #30
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Wow, didn't know this was illegal!
Posted via RS Mobile
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #31
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
op u took your chance and lost. def dispute if possible but ifnot they hav merit

as for the guy who got fined for accidentally sliding on a turn during snow - that is complete bullshit. inwould make such a fucking stink in courts, and everywhere else if that halpened to me. cops need to use their resources for better things than harassing people trying to be careful in the shit weather
Posted via RS Mobile
I had a chance to speak with some RCMP officers about this last year, and they all put it this way:

Its not difficult to tell the difference from someone who accidentally lights up the tires, vs someone who tried to do it. Someone who accidentally does it lets off immediately and slows down, someone who meant to do it continues on until it stops.

That still leaves lots of shades of grey, yet could provide some here info to avoid getting a ticket. If you start spinning the tires or sliding, don't power through epic drift-o style, RCMP don't appreciate that.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #32
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I hate the whole idea of automatic impounds. I can see taking the car for 24 hours. I can see the logic of, "this is happening, ie.he's drunk, or he doesn't know how to drive in the snow, or being reckless in the snow of whatever" so lets take the car and figure it out in court.

Taking the car for 7 days is punishment. You want to punish the guy, that's fine, but that isn't the job of the police. It's for the courts. That's the way the game is played. Don't sell it to me that the courts are backed up, as a reason for running around them-fix the courts backlog.

We have judges and lawyers who all get paid a large amount of money to do this for us. Let them do their job.

I hate this nanny state/police state shit.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #33
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I hate the whole idea of automatic impounds. I can see taking the car for 24 hours. I can see the logic of, "this is happening, ie.he's drunk, or he doesn't know how to drive in the snow, or being reckless in the snow of whatever" so lets take the car and figure it out in court.

Taking the car for 7 days is punishment. You want to punish the guy, that's fine, but that isn't the job of the police. It's for the courts. That's the way the game is played. Don't sell it to me that the courts are backed up, as a reason for running around them-fix the courts backlog.

We have judges and lawyers who all get paid a large amount of money to do this for us. Let them do their job.

The game was played, ruling handed down in court, the judges and lawyers did their job.

A judge ruled the 3-7-30 day suspensions and impoundments are reasonable, only the 90 day immediate suspension is unreasonable and deserves a day in court.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:39 AM   #34
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:

"auto impoundment" privileges to cop = money for tow truck driver/company.
Theyre just out to get money. THATS IT. Protect my ass. Who the f*ck gonna get hurt in an empty parking lot?
Cops are just too full of themselves these days, as with all these law-abiding-cock sucking-tree hugging momma's boys.
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #35
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
The game was played, ruling handed down in court, the judges and lawyers did their job.

A judge ruled the 3-7-30 day suspensions and impoundments are reasonable, only the 90 day immediate suspension is unreasonable and deserves a day in court.
Oh, I get that. I'm saying whats reasonable in the aggregate may not be reasonable for the person.

It just doesn't sit well with me. I know, you can argue "yay, safer roads" which is awesome, don't get me wrong, but I just don't like how we get there.

Let police catch, and courts prosecute. Law and Order style. Don't put Sam Waterston out of a job.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #36
...on a mission....

Quote:
Let police catch, and courts prosecute. Law and Order style. Don't put Sam Waterston out of a job.

I can see taking the car for 24 hours. I can see the logic of, "this is happening, ie.he's drunk, or he doesn't know how to drive in the snow, or being reckless in the snow of whatever" so lets take the car and figure it out in court.
I agree. Until there are perfect people, and therefore a "perfect" police officer, more than one person needs to be involved with "punishments" other than what you've mentioned. Using the 24 hour prohibition is a very important tool that an officer can use to protect the public right away! But then, this can even be used "mistakenly" or in error, and a proper process has to be in place to allow a correction.
Simnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #37
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-revs View Post
"auto impoundment" privileges to cop = money for tow truck driver/company.
Theyre just out to get money. THATS IT. Protect my ass. Who the f*ck gonna get hurt in an empty parking lot?
Cops are just too full of themselves these days, as with all these law-abiding-cock sucking-tree hugging momma's boys.
Just fuck off and go live in an island or something. See how you enjoy the "luxury" of not having 911.

You don't know if shit would happen until it happens. Then you're gonna be like "oops?" Fucking retard. Would you like the police prevent shits from happening or just get to the scene and pick up body bags?

The court is clogged up as is, they don't need anymore stupid cases like some retards decide to drive drunk even though the law has been telling them not to for how many years. One would think that at some point in time, people would get that idea in their little brain.

A little bit of trivia for you: If you dont put gigantic fart cannon or any other ridiculous shits on your little shitboxes and obey the law, nobody is gonna waste their time with you.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #38
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

i think that a man with a gun and power to arrest should use their power for other serious issues. Not catching people doing donuts in a parking lot.

Drinking and driving? How many of these cops have "sworn to protect" and still manage to get caught drinking and driving? and other reckless shit? And after their actions, they dont even get fired? Wtf is up with that??

Last edited by zulutango; 01-22-2012 at 07:30 AM. Reason: inappropriate content
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #39
...on a mission....

Quote:
Drinking and driving? How many of these cops have "sworn to protect" and still manage to get caught drinking and driving? and other reckless shit? And after their actions, they dont even get fired? Wtf is up with that??

Say what you want, believe what you believe, but the police are just out to give stupid tickets to fill the hole they dug during the riot. and the hole vancouver dug for the olympics
This is where I have to step in. 90% of the police officers out there are there for the genuine purpose of maintaining law and order, protecting member of the public and are doing it to the best of their ability!!!! Sure, we hear about the police officer that gets caught drinking and driving...it IS a big deal because it is a law they are sworn to uphold. But, they are human...NOT perfect!! It also makes for good media...keep that in mind! We NEVER hear about the other 99% of the police officers that DON'T drink and drive...do we? Yup, we hear about officers that "snap" while doing their job.....but again, we don't hear about the ones that do their job as they were trained too, makes for boring reading or news casts. Don't let the "bad apples" spoil it for the good ones...please!!!

It takes a certain person to do the job of a police officer. It's a job not everyone CAN do or WANT to do so let's be thankful there are some that take the job on. Not everyone can work an accident scene, deal with domestic disputes.....deal with "assholes" out there in ANY situation!

I am a firm believer to "live in an other's shoes" before jumping down their throats about how they are doing their job. Do yourself a favor, go on a ride along with an officer in Vancouver....you WILL learn something....
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #40
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Say what you want, believe what you believe, but the police are just out to give stupid tickets to fill the hole they dug during the riot. and the hole vancouver dug for the olympics
Uh... wat?

Bet if I steal your little riceburner, the first call you make will be to the police.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #41
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts

i think that a man with a gun and power to arrest should use their power for other serious issues. Not catching people doing donuts in a parking lot.

Say what you want, believe what you believe, but the police are just out to give stupid tickets to fill the hole they dug during the riot. and the hole vancouver dug for the olympics[/quote]

Your opinions and retorts are nothing but childish conjecture, all you've done is babble and spatter insults degrading the discussion to a level below that of any intelligent or mature individual. It's entirely possible to make an argument that an officer should not dedicate time towards preventing people from doing dougnuts, although in my opinion it would be intrinsically weak, you have failed to do that.

Last edited by zulutango; 01-22-2012 at 07:31 AM. Reason: deleted inappropriate content quote from other poster
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #42
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
A few years back I worked on one of the Gulf Islands. They had had a murder and an almost murder in a short time and some other serious stuff to boot. Nearest Detachment was a 40 minute boat ride away in good weather. We worked 4 day shifts in blocks on our days off and the residents got to experience first hand (and for some, first time) what it felt like to have Cops on site instead of on call.

Let me just say that we got all the "business' we could handle in a very short period of time. We removed "island cars" that were so bad their frames were rusted out, only had 1 brake of 4 working, missing doors, bald tyres etc. Their drivers were not much better. Several had ingored mandatory medical prohibitions, many never had obtained a DL, and the training that comes with one, impairment was not a concern because they were only on the island....and that was just what the MV Act brought.

I arrested a child molester who had been hiding away from an arrest warrant there for 20 years, a prohibited driver and his prohibited driver wife with long a long criminal record and outstanding warrants. I also got huge attitude from rich snobs from LMD who were visiting their summer homes and were not subject to any laws or rules like the rest of the plebians who lived there...and instantly told us that fact. I got threatened with a civil lawsuit because I gave them a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt on a narrow, winding road and driving 20 over the posted limit, because it was against their civil rights...that kind of thing.

Oner of the local business owners that I charged for several things, started a petition on the island that said that Police were not needed there, they did things differently on the island and handled their own problems without the Cops (forgetting about the murder and other stuff). He demanded the Cops be immediately removed.He got a few signatures but nothing happened and we stayed the rest of the summer, crime dropped and the hippies and rich folks hated us and the "normal' folks appreciated a stop to the crime. As a footnote...the whiner businessman had his business "impacted" by crime and was outraged that the entire major crime squad would not drop a murder investigation and come and find who damaged his business. I hope the call taker reminded him of the petition he started.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #43
...on a mission....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
A few years back I worked on one of the Gulf Islands. They had had a murder and an almost murder in a short time and some other serious stuff to boot. Nearest Detachment was a 40 minute boat ride away in good weather. We worked 4 day shifts in blocks on our days off and the residents got to experience first hand (and for some, first time) what it felt like to have Cops on site instead of on call.

Let me just say that we got all the "business' we could handle in a very short period of time. We removed "island cars" that were so bad their frames were rusted out, only had 1 brake of 4 working, missing doors, bald tyres etc. Their drivers were not much better. Several had ingored mandatory medical prohibitions, many never had obtained a DL, and the training that comes with one, impairment was not a concern because they were only on the island....and that was just what the MV Act brought.

I arrested a child molester who had been hiding away from an arrest warrant there for 20 years, a prohibited driver and his prohibited driver wife with long a long criminal record and outstanding warrants. I also got huge attitude from rich snobs from LMD who were visiting their summer homes and were not subject to any laws or rules like the rest of the plebians who lived there...and instantly told us that fact. I got threatened with a civil lawsuit because I gave them a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt on a narrow, winding road and driving 20 over the posted limit, because it was against their civil rights...that kind of thing.

Oner of the local business owners that I charged for several things, started a petition on the island that said that Police were not needed there, they did things differently on the island and handled their own problems without the Cops (forgetting about the murder and other stuff). He demanded the Cops be immediately removed.He got a few signatures but nothing happened and we stayed the rest of the summer, crime dropped and the hippies and rich folks hated us and the "normal' folks appreciated a stop to the crime. As a footnote...the whiner businessman had his business "impacted" by crime and was outraged that the entire major crime squad would not drop a murder investigation and come and find who damaged his business. I hope the call taker reminded him of the petition he started.

So, how much money did you make for the government? Sounds to me like the "expenses" of what you did far out weighed the financial returns! Oh hang on, sounds right....as a police force is not a "profitable" business!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #44
RS Peace Officer

Well I gave up 4 days off, lost over 50% in taxes, wrote a few VTs but the money from them didn't end up paying the bills...plus the child molestor had to be flown to Ontario and is costing taxpayers money to keep him inside (money I know the family would believe well-spent) and the others arrested had to be transported back to the awaiting cells.

I believe the Govt lost money but then the only time Cops are supposed to "make money" is when you have to present a "business case' if you want to buy something or start a new projects etc. Still have not yet figured how you could make a "business case" for an organization that could not be a business? If you go over budget do you not investigate crimes or attend calls? In a business, you don't spend money you don't have....or at least not for long.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #45
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Don't put Sam Waterston out of a job.
LOL Isn't he already gone?
Old 01-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #46
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
A few years back I worked on one of the Gulf Islands. Nearest Detachment was a 40 minute boat ride away in good weather.
One of my coworkers was telling me this week about growing up on one of these islands. No cops, volunteer fire, 3 grades combined into 1 classroom, no senior grades in high school, home schooling, most people having a private "garden", ...

I can see why criminals would chose these islands to go hide out on.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #47
RS Peace Officer

Hippies, rich people, draft dodgers, druggies, criminals, "alternative lifestyles" and just about everyone living there wants to live by their own rules. That's why they choose the location...and complain about the ferry costs and demand more subsidies because they chose to live on an island. There are some "normal folks" who live there but they are in the minority. Not at all saying that everyone there is bad, just saying that they chose to live out of the mainstream for avariety of reasons