REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Car washing in the winter

So I'm the retard that wants to wash my car in the winter to get rid of all the salt BUT apparently this is "retarded" per the SNOW!!! thread!

I asked WHY this was retarded in the SNOW!!! thread but never got a reply - so I'm asking here. Isn't it good to wash your car (auto car wash / local hand car wash) so the salt is removed thus preventing rust?

edumacate me
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

washing it is fine. but itll freeze so dry the car good!
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
It's not a good idea to wash it now because there is still salt (in solid or mixed in liquied form) on the roads, even if the snow melts and it rains. Some say it's because it's not warm enough for rust/oxidation. How I see it is that if you wash it today, even if it rains, you'll still get salt on your car. It's not really the salt that causes the rust - it's the moisture trapped next to the metal. The rust forms mainly because of the dirt that is built up in the fenderwells, wheelwells etc - they trap moisture and if salt gets mixed into it, it accelerates the rusting. Imo, the optimum time to wash is a couple days after the temperatures rise and the city stops salting the roads, and after the rain has washed away some of the salt. The most important thing is to wash away the dirt in the non-visible areas - that's where we're most worried about rust occuring.
Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
The roads in my area and my complex have been way over-salted IMO. My truck is absolutely covered in it and I want to power wash it all off once the temperatures are back above freezing. Any recommendations on where I can take my vehicle to do that in Vancouver or Burnaby?
JD像 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD像 View Post
The roads in my area and my complex have been way over-salted IMO. My truck is absolutely covered in it and I want to power wash it all off once the temperatures are back above freezing. Any recommendations on where I can take my vehicle to do that in Vancouver or Burnaby?
I drive a car want to get it power washed in Surrey/Burnaby/Vancouver - any recommendations?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 01-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
I drive a car want to get it power washed in Surrey/Burnaby/Vancouver - any recommendations?
Washworld on 132nd street and 72nd avenue. (surrey)
Royak Oak Car Wash on Royal Oak Avenue and Imperial Street (burnaby)
Mr Shine Auto on Marine Drive after cambie (vancouver)
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
The "no wash in winter" really only applies to places that stay consistently below zero, which is not Vancouver.

The freeze/thaw cycle accelerates rust as the snow melts and the salt gets into various the crevices. If the salt can stay stuck where it is, then it is less likely to get into those cervices. Remember though, even a good wash doesn't clean all these cervices, especially inside of doors.

This is why in the rust belts of Canada (aka the rest of Canada) its common to rust proof your car by spraying it with oil. The oil gets into all the crevices, preventing salt from building up there even with the freeze/thaw cycle. Then you really don't want to wash your car and risk losing that layer of oil protection.

Long story short: wash your car if you want to.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

i go to a detail shop to get it clean/sprayed down every winter, no problem so far

{{Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive but what they conceal is vital }}
Gtrr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Drove by a liquid salt truck yesterday, first time I ever saw one.. Didnt know he was spraying the liquid down and drove past the truck, he was in the middle lane and spraying all three lanes at once.. Ended up getting a nice dry salt streak along the whole right side of my car and on the front..Guess I shouldnt be worried till the weather starts drying up?

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrr33 View Post
i go to a detail shop to get it clean/sprayed down every winter, no problem so far
Where do you go?

Old 01-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
The way I see it, the more I can get rid of or at least dilute the salt that's on the car the better.

I use one of those telescoping nozzles for cleaning gutters to rinse down the undercarriage.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #12
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Where do you go?
Oasis Car Wash Ltd in North Shore, marine drive
M&J Car Wash in Vancouver fir st and 4th

{{Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive but what they conceal is vital }}
Gtrr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #13
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

just wait until it rains continuously before washing. That way most of the salt will be washed off the roads.

No point in paying for a wash now, since it'll get dirty before you even get home, LOL
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #14
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

most of you touched base on the main ones. other reasons:

if you wash it by hand, youll just spread the salt and dirt around. for you to actually wash the car well, youll have to replace your water and wash mitten constantly. one way to do is a two bucket system with grit guards.
the best things to do in the winter time is just power spray the car often so theres not huge build up. if you do end up washing it by hand, as soon as you get on the main street, your fenders will be covered in salt deposits again.

let the rain do the rest. now that its getting warmer, hose down the car, the rain and driving in the rain, will clean out your fenders for you. i recommend cleaning out your door jams by hand. if you take a look now, youll find sand and salt in your door jams. leaving the build up in there is what will cause you problems.

or a quick search can help:
s300ae is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #15
Banned By Establishment

should be no problem as long as you don't park the car outside after. That's why I liked it when I lived in a condo. Would wash & dry the car and park it.

I am like you and hate seeing the car with all the build up.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #16
RS controls my life!

Touchless car wash at Esso? They have an option for just rinse or full wash + underbody as well.

I've been through it a couple times. It's alright for getting dirt and bird poop off. lol
jtrinh is offline   Reply With Quote