REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 01-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Battery Discharged after storage

So I had my car parked in the garage since September but when I tried to start it, it won't crank. I took the battery to Canadian tire who tested it and said it's gone bad.

Question is, should I try to charge it before doing a warranty exchange at Costco?

The battery still has 40% of the 100 month warranty remaining so I'd get like $25 back. But if the battery can be resurrected, I'd rather continue using it as I'd need to fork up extra $50 for a warranty replacement.
Advertisement
matrixfwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
You could get a 'battery tender' or similar product to charge the battery back to full capacity.
Posted via RS Mobile
Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixfwd View Post
So I had my car parked in the garage since September but when I tried to start it, it won't crank. I took the battery to Canadian tire who tested it and said it's gone bad.

Question is, should I try to charge it before doing a warranty exchange at Costco?

The battery still has 40% of the 100 month warranty remaining so I'd get like $25 back. But if the battery can be resurrected, I'd rather continue using it as I'd need to fork up extra $50 for a warranty replacement.
Try charging it first. I've had CT tell me battery was bad when it wasn't.
straight up nasty right right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyZ32 View Post
Thats because you end up getting creepy pie like mine that makes you not want to eat it hha ...thats why its cheap ...
civicyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Not always.. it depends what's wrong with it.. eg if it is out of electrolyte or busted cells..

Battery Tender only desuphalate the battery, but it dry out the battery when doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn View Post
You could get a 'battery tender' or similar product to charge the battery back to full capacity.
Posted via RS Mobile
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
Need my Daily Fix of RS

my battery died also, should we get a battery charger or something? or just jump start it?
gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
Need my Daily Fix of RS

is this a good enough charger? MotoMaster Automatic 10/2A Battery Charger | Canadian Tire

i am thinking of getting this thing to charge up my battery till its out of storage in spring time, i have never used a charger before but im guessing its the same thing as a battery "tender" as the guy said in the second post??

would be so much easier to charge the battery instead of jump starting it and then letting the car run for 30 minutes to charge the battery up
gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #7

The problem is if you run the battery too low, the battery chemistry just won't accept the amount of power especially at low amps from a battery charger you are feeding it. It really depends on how far the equilibrium point of the battery electrolyte had changed.

With some marginal battery.. even if you jump start and say drive the car from YVR to Hope and back.. The battery will hold the charge during the car is on, but the battery will still discharge itself after a few days because the battery chemistry can only store the power for a while, after that the equilibrium falls back.

Honestly it is a payoff issue.. a new battery is about $100 (even an OE Varta one for a BMW).. a charger is about $30-$75.. with the question of the status of each battery cell and the age of the battery is unknown.. sometimes it is just cheaper and easier to get a new battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky View Post
is this a good enough charger? MotoMaster Automatic 10/2A Battery Charger | Canadian Tire

i am thinking of getting this thing to charge up my battery till its out of storage in spring time, i have never used a charger before but im guessing its the same thing as a battery "tender" as the guy said in the second post??

would be so much easier to charge the battery instead of jump starting it and then letting the car run for 30 minutes to charge the battery up
Old 01-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #8

Among what CT sells only CTek one has the desulfate function

Benefits | CTEK Battery Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky View Post