REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

question on condos, rental property restrictions

so I was speaking to a marketing/sales person recently about a new high rise going up in Vancouver. I was asking about the property and the rental restrictions that would be placed on this new building that will be erected in the near future.

the sales person said that there is a new law that states that any building built 2010 or later can not have any type of limit on the number of rental units available in a condo building. he explained that this was introduced due to the low vacancy rates in Vancouver.

I then asked him that in theory, one could live in a condo that is entirely made up of rental properties. he replied yes that can happen. is this true or is the marketing person trying to make it sound too good to make a sale.
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
Old School RS

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,201 Posts
I don't know of a city-wide law that states you cannot limit rental units, but you really need to look at the proposed strata guidelines for the building, they are the most "official" source you can get close to.

Mark
Old 01-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

There are no provincial laws that dictate if a residential unit can be rented out or not. It gets delegated to the strata council to decide on the rental restrictions as a bylaw as stated by lowside67.

Take your realtor's words with a grain of salt. If you decide to act against the rental by-laws imposed by the strata council, you may be forced to sell your place (unless other members of the strata council makes a motion to remove the rental restriction.)

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

If you buy a condo before there is a strata is established then you will be grandfathered in. So, if you buy in the construction phase then you will be able to rent your condo out. If your strata down the road puts limits on how many can be rental suites, you will be able to still rent yours out. This happened to me in one of my condo's but with my dog. I moved in and there was no dog restrictions. Then our strata voted in a bylaw that your dog has to be under 15lbs. But I'm grandfathered in with my 85lbs argentine dogo.

And to answer your statement if a building for fully be rented out. Yes it can one of my other condo building is. It was built in 2010, and all of the buyers in the building rent there units out. So, it's 100% renters right now.

Last edited by Wild_Penguin; 01-22-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Wild_Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

another RS member pm'd me this link:

http://www.bcrea.bc.ca/news-and-publ...2010-%28436%29

thanks for all the info guys! and yeah, this discussion was in regards to a condo that is in the pre-sale stages at the moment. looks like the sales guy wasn't blowing hot air.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Director of RS Cares

^ he wasn't. It was a hot topic in the realtor magazine distributed by the real estate board. A good source to look into, if you're unsure is your rental disclosure.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
SiRVs up, dude

semi-off topic. Say I own a condo and I'm renting out to someone. Can I write off strata fees (or anything else?)
Old 02-11-2012, 11:56 PM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Yes, I write-off strata management fees, property management fees, property taxes, insurance and any repair expenses (ie. replacing shower heads, etc). You can also deduct mortgage interest (not the principal) as well, if applicable.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
I bringith the lowerballerith

There's only 2 ways where any restrictions (rental allowed or rental not allowed) can be placed on a building.

It's either the City or Municipal Bylaw.
OR
Strata Corporation Bylaw.

Given how expensive it is to own, and there is a demand for rentals. Not many city or municipals would of rental bylaws on buildings not allowing the units to be rented.

When a Strata corporation places a bylaw on the building its usually due to the following reasons:
The strata wants to protect and serve in the best interest of everyone owning and living in the building. (I.e don't allow rentals, rentals with restrictions, etc)

More on this topic....
City of Vancouver would be pretty dumb to place rental bylaw regulation on all old/new buildings considering they themselves are having trouble addressing housing affordability.