REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #26
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
So go on the website and register your plate - doesn't cost anything, and the toll becomes $3.45. If you're paying too much, it's your own stupid fault.
yeah thats a major difference.....

you seem to be missing the point that people find it too expensive... be it 3.45 each way or 4.10 each way or the transponder @ a $1 rental + toll (that's why translink is wanting to advertise it...)
Advertisement
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #27
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
yeah thats a major difference.....

you seem to be missing the point that people find it too expensive... be it 3.45 each way or 4.10 each way or the transponder @ a $1 rental + toll (that's why translink is wanting to advertise it...)
How much do you want to pay then? would $2.50 be more reasonable?

I think $3.45 is completely reasonable.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #28
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

I remember when it was 75 cents to take the bus......
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #29
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
If translink doesn't turn its skytrain network a distanced based system, it will be all for nothing.

The idea of zones were so arbitrary to begin with and the ONLY reason it existed was because we did not have turnstiles/faregates to check in where the person is travelling to. With the smartcard and faregates, this solves all those issues and being progressive, we should go to distance based rates vs. random zone patterns.

The more you use something, the more it should cost you. It isn't a new idea and now that we have the solution, we should use it.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #30
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
I remember when it was 75 cents to take the bus......
high school concession fare ftw
Old 01-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #31
GG
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
If translink doesn't turn its skytrain network a distanced based system, it will be all for nothing.

The idea of zones were so arbitrary to begin with and the ONLY reason it existed was because we did not have turnstiles/faregates to check in where the person is travelling to. With the smartcard and faregates, this solves all those issues and being progressive, we should go to distance based rates vs. random zone patterns.

The more you use something, the more it should cost you. It isn't a new idea and now that we have the solution, we should use it.
as a results riders decides to fuck the system not to pay, and guess what i dont blame them. THe random distance is completely bullshit.

Metro to royal oak station costs one zone? LMAO gtfo
GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #32
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post

How do other systems track the distance travelled by users? Do they have to swipe their card once when they get on the train and then swipe again when they get to their destination?

The current system where approx 1 city = 1 zone seems pretty fair to me (and I have to pay 2 zone to get from Joyce to Metro lol [w/ only 1 stop in between]) :P
LIKEABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #33
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKEABOSS View Post
How do other systems track the distance travelled by users? Do they have to swipe their card once when they get on the train and then swipe again when they get to their destination?

The current system where approx 1 city = 1 zone seems pretty fair to me.
Bingo. And when done right, it's not a tough system.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:37 AM   #34
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKEABOSS View Post

The current system where approx 1 city = 1 zone seems pretty fair to me (and I have to pay 2 zone to get from Joyce to Metro lol [w/ only 1 stop in between]) :P
You pre-load your card with whatever amount of money you want on it.

You swipe your card at the turnstile before you enter the actual skytrain portion and it'll log your card as entering that station. Once you get off at your destination, you swipe it again as you leave the station and the system will subtract that amount off your card. If you have insufficient funds then the turnstiles don't open for you and you'll have to go to the nearest machine to refill the card.

If you choose to pay by cash instead of using the smart card then you go to the machine and pay a certain dollar amount. Each destination (from the current station you're at) is priced at a different amount. The closer the station, the cheaper it is.

You look up which station you want to go to and you pay that dollar amount. Once you've paid, the machine will spit out a plastic coin with a chip in it. You scan the coin at the turnstile to enter and hop onto the train. Once you get off at the station, you head to the exit and drop your plastic coin into the slot and the turnstiles will open allowing you to leave.

i.e.
metrotown -> joyce = $0.75
metrotown -> burrard = $2.25
king george -> waterfront = $5
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2012, 01:47 AM   #35
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Trashlink
Firmware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:01 AM   #36

Yeah and if you have a smart card it's cheaper than pay as you go.

Zones only make sense in big cities where there are MANY lines to choose from like London or Paris. And even there, they still have a distance based system for smart card users. I was only in London for two weeks in November and I "rented" a smart card. Ended up saving a ton on the tube/bus over those two weeks VS. pay as you go.

I'm going to hate going back to Vancouver transit after this trip. They need to update the machines too to European style where you can type in the desination or search by stop and pay to that stop etc.

If you've never been to Europe/Asia it's hard to understand how this all works but trust me, it would be AMAZING if we had this system in Vancouver.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #37
I STILL don't get it

Evergreen construction finally starting, wonder how that's going to affect prices.
LuHua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #38
I am grateful grapefruit

no one in London uses Pay as you go except for tourists. So honestly - you're technically not saving anything.

London also has a system where Zone 1 (Central London) is a lot more expensive than all the other zones. If you stay outside central london during your journey - it's very cheap, but anybody that has to go through or to central pays a lot.

You can get a monthly pass for zone 1/2 and you'll be paying £112 a month. But if you work in zone 2 and live in zone 5 - you can pay £111 a month for a zone 2/5 pass - even though you can be traveling a waaaay longer distance but because you're not going through zone 1, you're saving a lot.

I'd be happy to have people going downtown pay a premium - but I don't think other people would be very happy with that.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #39
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Problem is.. where would we find places to replenish our cards? I mean in HK there are convenience stores right in the metro station, but for our stations only some of them have that kind of accessibility..

But I guess this is a step in the right direction

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #40
I don't get it

^

711, london drugs, pretty much places that they already sell bus passes. heck, they can even build a small kiosk in the station.
teekaywok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #41

^ replenishing the cards is more of an "on the go" thing

i don't think people in a rush would wanna deal with walking a distance afar.
turnstiles are supposed to make things faster, more efficient, and safe.

and if you wanna bring up the "oh keep track of the $ on ur card" argument then, well, it happens
i only see small kisosk as the only solution.

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 01-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #42
I don't get it

make a fare machine to refill cards? hong kong has many. They need to make another machine for checking the balance in the cards. Problem solved
Old 01-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #43

^ dam, i must have not been to hk in a while

correct me if im wrong, don't it show ur balance too when you hop on the bus / metro and beep your card? lol
at the end of the day i still think we're gonna be miles and miles behind HK and other places around the world

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 01-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #44
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

its the 21st century, i'm sure you can replenish your cards online.......

even parking has paybyphone app....
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #45
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not really racist! View Post
^ dam, i must have not been to hk in a while

correct me if im wrong, don't it show ur balance too when you hop on the bus / metro and beep your card? lol
at the end of the day i still think we're gonna be miles and miles behind HK and other places around the world
yes it does, there is also an indicator on it, green, yellow and red, ofc green being a lot of funds, yellow is when you should refill and red as no more funds. i havent been to hk but i still keep my octopus in my walet

i just wish it was Japan where my phone can open my door...
Old 09-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #46

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
New transit passes usher speedy trips
By TYLER ORTON, 24 HOURS

Counting exact change or jamming a crumpled bus ticket into a card reader — banes of the busy bus passenger’s life — are set to become faded memories this spring when the new electronic fare card system launches.

Instead, it will take less than a second for riders to validate Compass cards after tapping them against card readers set to roll out the same time as SkyTrain fare gates, according to the project’s implementation manager Norm Fraser.

But the purportedly swift-acting Compass card system has at least one sluggish drawback — passengers must also swipe the card to get off the bus.

“Initially, there will be growing pains,” Fraser admitted while previewing the new technology for 24 hours.

Mobile validator devices will automatically deduct a three-zone fare from the stored-value cards when passengers get on the bus. Riders must then line up behind other departing passengers to swipe when exiting to receive money back if they travel fewer than three zones.

This means validators subtract $5 from the cards when single-zone riders get on the bus, but will reimburse them $2.50 when they get off. If someone exits without swiping, they pay the full three-zone fare.

But Fraser said validators can handle 30 to 35 swipes a minute, which should keep congestion to a minimum as people leave.

Despite the cards’ Big Brother undertone — they come complete with microchips and antennae so they can be reloaded with money and track passengers’ movements through the system — Fraser said passengers and taxpayers will benefit greatly.

TransLink will be able to determine when and where people are getting on and off buses as they swipe, allowing the transit authority to adjust services.

Fraser, a former bus driver himself, said drivers still have the final say about who gets on the bus.

“Nothing from this project takes discretion away from our drivers. They’re still the captains of their ship.”

24 Hours Vancouver
Heard about this(bolded section) last week on the radio and thought, wow that's definitely going to piss some people off. Another one of Translinks "Trial & Error" options coming out of the dark I figure.

Any other opinions?
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #47
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
i have a octopus card & another one for guanzhou, its very simple but why does vancouver make it so hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #48
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilabomb View Post
as a results riders decides to fuck the system not to pay, and guess what i dont blame them. THe random distance is completely bullshit.

Metro to royal oak station costs one zone? LMAO gtfo

You mean Metro to Patterson? Bish I can walk that in 7mins!

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #49
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Heard about this(bolded section) last week on the radio and thought, wow that's definitely going to piss some people off. Another one of Translinks "Trial & Error" options coming out of the dark I figure.

Any other opinions?

Who was the genius that decided we need to "swipe to get off"?

If I was designing the system, I'd have users "swipe in" to get on the bus - no issues with that. BUT use RFID/NFC to auto deduct when they get off the bus!

Imagine trying to get off the bus at broadway or metrotown or any other major loop. Next thing you know, buses are going to be late even more cuz 70 people offloaded at broadway and commercial! Also think about the elderly that now need to do more shit to get off the bus with their walkers.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #50
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
^ just board, swipe when you walk by the door and sit

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote