REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 01-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Electrician Apprenticeship

So I am trying to get going with a Electrician Apprenticeship but I am not having the best of luck. I have been in the telecommunications industry for a few years but I was finding it not very challenging and boring. I have a bunch of safety certificates but I am still having a hard time finding a job. I have applied for just under 50 jobs all throughout Alberta and Saskatchewan and still no luck.
I have been told to go through the pre-electrician apprenticeship program at a college but I don't know if it is a waste of time. Reason being is because I have talked to other people who have said its a complete cash grab and other guys have said just knock on doors and apply and you will get in.

sooooo the main question is should I take this damn pre-apprenticeship course or fuck it, just keep applying?
Advertisement
sevewone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
i don't understand the purpose of 'pre-apprenticeship' other than seeing if you like the work/industry. if you want to be an electrician and know it is what you want to do wouldn't you just go straight to the electrician trades program to start your education for apprenticeship? then again i've never gone through the trades program and only know what i hear from people in the industry

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
i don't understand the purpose of 'pre-apprenticeship' other than seeing if you like the work/industry. if you want to be an electrician and know it is what you want to do wouldn't you just go straight to the electrician trades program to start your education for apprenticeship? then again i've never gone through the trades program and only know what i hear from people in the industry

From what I have read/heard it is just to thin out the heard to see who REALLY wants to be a Electrician. I have hundreds of hours under my belt witnessing what electricians actually do and it is definitely the direction I want to go. It has also been a decision of mine for the past year but have just started applying for positions the last month.
Any insight or word of any good companies hiring would be greatly appreciated. I am in the Okanagan but am willing to relocate anywhere in BC, Alberta or Sask.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

its hard to find a job in the industry right now. alot of sparkys are out of work. you'll have the best luck away from the city.

i worked as an apprentice for a little over a year and went through two employers. i ended up quitting and leaving the trade.

you're best bet is to find a employer who will take you as a green thumb and sponser your trades education.

you wont be getting paid much starting off though if you're green.
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevewone View Post
From what I have read/heard it is just to thin out the heard to see who REALLY wants to be a Electrician. I have hundreds of hours under my belt witnessing what electricians actually do and it is definitely the direction I want to go. It has also been a decision of mine for the past year but have just started applying for positions the last month.
Any insight or word of any good companies hiring would be greatly appreciated. I am in the Okanagan but am willing to relocate anywhere in BC, Alberta or Sask.
I can't speak for the industry or everybody who has experience as an electrician but a friend of mine recently took the course at BCIT.

Part of the reason was because he was laid off at his company and had no other direction to go so he wanted to start fresh. The purpose of the program at BCIT (from what I understand) was to provide those with no experience a basic foundation of skills and knowledge to get you going. From that point, you're on your own and if anything, it was a course to help weed out individuals whether or not they were fit for the industry and work.

Like yourself, he had a difficult time looking for work but judging from your experience, it seems like you have a heck of a lot more knowledge and work experience than he does. He tried applying to the oil fields in Alberta and was dry out of luck. He ended up landing a job to gain experience locally with an electrical company based out of Richmond. The pay isn't that great but he's happy, earning the experience and is enjoying it.

Good luck!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,830 Times in 233 Posts
theres tons of work out there dude.. i would never recommend the ELTT for any trade... 6grand for 6 months. no thanks

emailing off resumes in trades doesn't work if your green. you gotta go to each employers office and apply.. ask to talk to someone.. don't just talk to the receptionist

at most wholesalers they have boards where people post up jobs.... id also talk to the people who work there if they've heard about anyone hiring. wholesaler guys always hear about whos hiring etc.... doesn't hurt
nsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Id recommend to....
-forget the 'pre-apprenticeship' or ELTT crap, waste of time and money
-keep sending off resumes to companies hiring.
-expect the minimum compensation when you start out with no exp.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
......its hard to find a job in the industry right now. alot of sparkys are out of work......

including me bro

Old 01-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Pr-apprenticeship just doesn't seem like it's worth the money. Find an employer that is willing to hire you as an apprentice, regardless of how much they pay you for the first year as long as you get your hours in you will be in the positive in contrast to paying BCIT for the pre-app.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,392 Times in 180 Posts
When you're completely green, it seems like it's more about "Who you know" when trying to get into the trade. My brother and I got into it because our dad was a superintendent, and my friends got into it by either family or friends who were or knew someone in the trade. If you don't know someone, it's going to be pretty hard to get the apprenticeship started.
GoneGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #11
I STILL don't get it

look up EJTC IBEW 213
Fi2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

if you don't have any sort of eltt training, employer will just use you as a labourer. you will be the first one to laid off when a job is finished. with eltt you will have some understanding of pipe bending and electrician tools. so you will be alittle bit better than labourer. applied to ibew213.org they hire twice a year. you will pay 3 grand for the ejtc course but you will be hire to the union right after. i am a member myself.
blue_noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #13
HELP ME PLS!!!

have you considered going low voltage?

I'm doing

security alarm systems,
cctv
computer/tel/tv
home theatre
multi room audio
vaccuum
acceess control

and theres tonnnns of work
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #14

really?
whats the rough hourly?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #15
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ ranges from 15-30
Old 01-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #16

hmm.. might be a paycut

i guess i can always fall back on this useless ELTT paper LOL
Old 01-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #17
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ how much would a electrican make? residential
Old 01-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #18
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I'm on the same boat. I am applied to the Foundations or "Pre-App" program and I am waitlisted until September 2012. Honestly, I only picked this trade because I knew that it would be rewarding. However, after reading how some of you electricians are having trouble finding jobs, it just makes my heart sink.

What to do
see.lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #19

there was alot of work pre-2010 olympics
things seemed to kind of slowed down after that
Old 01-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.w *// View Post
28-32 would be acceptable for a j-man,

then again theres a bunch of mickey mouse contractors on CL looking for j-man sub 25 hourly range
Old 01-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #21

Quote:
have you considered going low voltage?

I'm doing

security alarm systems,
cctv
computer/tel/tv
home theatre
multi room audio
vaccuum
acceess control

and theres tonnnns of work
Yeah I did that before, I hated how the quality of work always fluctuated from worked to worker. I always find people never seem to have much drive to perform good quality of work because there is no real benchmark in place.

Being involved in the high voltage electrical field really has known standards all across the world and the people I meet really have a sense of pride in the industry. I want to be part of something that has some risk and is known across the world.

and 604nguyen if it's something you really want to do, dont give up. You have to realize the economys in the shitter and everyone getting jobs who are extremely over qualified.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi2e View Post
look up EJTC IBEW 213
I have called all the unions in Alberta and Sask. Only job is a general labourer position in Three Hills Alberta constructing powerlines and a bunch of 3rd year apprentice positions. IBEW sask isnt even looking for any apprentice's at this point, only Journeyman.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #23
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Quote:
There really is a huge gap. I've done mostly high end residential for my entire career and when I was a second year apprentice I was making $25/hour. With a different employer, as a journeyman I'm now making only $23/hour. Keep in mind, as of right now my role is pretty much just as a sidekick to the foreman in this new company. I've been told that raises come more often to those who are loyal to our employer. We will see.

The difference is that I now have benefits with this employer, real vacation days (not just a small % added onto the payout), a solid 40 hours or more per week, plus these guys seem to keep their good employees almost forever (not just layoff when work gets thinned out). I find the work to be relatively easy and clean, as I'm not crawling through rat shit infested asbestos attics like I used to have to do all the time.

Some employers might pay more, but lay you off as soon as the projects thin out and not have consistent hours per week for you.

You can try out a bunch of different places to work for, but you might end up with a shittier place to work for than before and you also end up showing people that you are less capable of loyalty.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #24
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

j-man at ibew 213 makes 34 dollar an hour and 40 hours a week. we do mostly commercial and industrial stuff. we finished bc place back in october there is a few big prject around like surrey civil center and downtown.
blue_noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:41 AM   #25
vso
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

its pretty hard finding an apprenticeship with little exp and not knowing anyone ,speaking from experience.. i know it sounds cliche but its really not what you know but who you know
vso is offline   Reply With Quote