REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,775 Times in 1,171 Posts
Fastest Route?

Hey guys, will be doing a ski trip up to Big White later on in the month of February. Just a quick question on which route to take as we are stopping by Penticton to pick someone up. So it will be Vancouver-Penticton-Big White.

Highway 5 vs. Highway 3? Which way is faster? Which way is likely to have better road conditions and less traffic? Less cops? What's the weather going to be like in February going up the passes in that area?

Car is a VW GTI with Dunlop Wintersport 3D winter tires. Not lowered.

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I prefer taking Highway 5 (Coquihalla) than Hwy 3

Sucks driving on hwy 3 around manning park area where certain stretches is only one lane and its even worse if you're stuck behind a truck. Plus theres no more tolls on Hwy 5.
keifun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

The Coq will be much faster. Even if there is snow. Sounds like your car should be fine if there is snow.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

And my suggestion would be to get your buddy to take the bus to westbank and pick up up there. That's a 1.5 hour detour to pentiction and back to Kelowna.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

My advice to you is to drive on the Coq Hwy super early in the morning, or late at night. There's s*it tons of rocks/debris on the hwy from the plowing trucks that there's no way to avoid crack windshields/rockchips all over the car.

Invest in a car bra (painters tape won't work), and keep your distance from cars to avoid said rockchips.

Oh, and winter driving tip: only do one of the following at a time: accelerate, brake, change of direction.. I've logged over 150,000kms on the Coquihalla Hwy in a Mazda 6 in 3 yrs, and I've seen countless dumb-asses driving like they're hot s*it and then you see them in the ditch later..

Oh, and pack extra windshield washer fluid.. You WILL need it

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Neither 3 nor 5 will be particularly fast this time of year, but Hwy5 is probably the "quickest" of the two right now. Just remember to take your time while driving the passes. Also keep in mind that while it may not be snowing on the Coq when you leave the Lower Mainland, by the time you get up to the Summit, the weather could have changed very dramatically.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

^Werd. Prepare for extremely dense fog / white-out conditions as well. Should definately bring a GPS along and have the maps zoomed in so you know where the curves are.

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

The fastest route is Coquihalla & you'll know that it's been plowed. And busy in the event something goes wrong and have to pull over. Hopefully you don't come to that.

Highway 3 is twisty and hilly rarely with any traffic. If you get stranded there is no cell coverage to call for help.

Prepare for some really dense fog when you reach the mountain summits where you can't see more than 20ft, drive with your hazard lights on so truck driver don't slam into you. Recommend driving during the day in that area if the conditions aren't so great and have proper winter tires, or chains.

I saw enough people with proper winter tires in the ditch. Last February.
schw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #9
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
The Coq is the fastest. Be smart about your driving.. you don't want to be in a pack of cars.. the best is to lead. (So you won't get sandwiched if the car in front of you screws up). You won't have any problems going up to Kelowna.. coming back the Bear snow shed etc can be a nightmare... same as Boulder Lake / Brenda Mines.

Bring blankets, things to read etc because they are doing avalanche control.. We went to Kicking Horse with a group of friends from out of town earlier in the week (Who knew Swedes don't get as varied as snow as we do?).. We got stuck for 2 hours at the Rogers Pass... good thing there is a roaring fire at the Ranger Station and comfy leather chairs.. (the minus side is tons of Chinese tourists gawking and yammering).

Just be prepared... and +1 for the Canadian Arm Forces.. not that many countries use their howitzer cannons for snow control.

Last edited by godwin; 01-28-2012 at 04:19 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,775 Times in 1,171 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like Highway 5 is going to be the route then. The tips are also welcome as well, though I do have a fair bit of winter driving experience as well.

To too_slow, what time do I want to leave Vancouver to be able to get on the Coq during the times you suggested? Also, if I leave enough distance, can I minimize (not get rid entirely) my chances of rock chips and dings?
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
You get rocks from other side of the road.. honestly the only way to protect the car is with an old fashion car bra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like Highway 5 is going to be the route then. The tips are also welcome as well, though I do have a fair bit of winter driving experience as well.

To too_slow, what time do I want to leave Vancouver to be able to get on the Coq during the times you suggested? Also, if I leave enough distance, can I minimize (not get rid entirely) my chances of rock chips and dings?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote