REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS
Thanked 3,837 Times in 853 Posts
Originally Posted by maxam View Post
1. Does anyone know if the cameras are now at ALL locations?
2. Are they all digital now or are some still film?
3. EXACTLY where are the sensors located in the road to trigger camera?
4. Does the one sensor trigger cameras for all directions?
5. Who comes to court to prosecute if you decide to dispute the ticket?

Thanks if anyone has good info on this.
1. No, not all locations - various "high risk" intersections. They're not discrete, so you can see them. Some are also marked with a sign.
2. No clue, but I'd assume digital now.
3. Sensors are those big round things, in front of the stop line.
4. The cameras will only take a picture of the rear or the vehicles in it's line of sight. So considering there are 4 possible ways to run a red (going straight) at a given 4-way intersection, only 1 of them will trigger the camera (please correct me if I'm wrong on this)
5. No idea. Never been to court.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:31 PM   #27
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!
From what I read, the sensor in the right lane is designed to trigger at 21km/h for an average sized car, determined by how long the car remains on the sensor for. 21 km/h = 6 m/s. So for an average 4.5m long car, that means you should be on the sensor for more than 0.75 seconds.

Legally, you should be coming to a full stop, checking, then going. I've never had the red light camera flash on me this way, ever.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:25 PM   #28
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy
Thanked 5,601 Times in 1,086 Posts
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Did you come to a complete stop back behind the stop line/crosswalk, in the right hand lane etc before entering the intersection? If you rolled the stop then you broke the law and likely triggered the camera.

You must actually forward movement at be considered an actual stop. I know this concept is hard to grasp, most people seem to think that rolling thru at any speed under the posted limit constitutes a "stop". I cannot see any other way, other than a camera malfunction, for the camera to be triggered.

you are obviously right about the *correct way to stop.

but the cameras can still go off if you did stop as ive had it happen to me at least a dozen times down the road from my place

the picture will be reviewed and thrown out as long as you didnt actually run the red light (turning wouldnt be considered running the red in this case)

this is just in my experience and never seeing a red light ticket in the mail even after seeing the flash quite a few times
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
It doesn't matter what size you are, if all you do is masturbate.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:52 PM   #29
Even when im right, is still right!
Thanked 2,679 Times in 566 Posts
Sorry if this has already been mentioned. Didn't really go through the whole thread:

From what I remember, the camera has to flash 3 times:
1. Right before you enter the intersection: Showing that you have a red light
2. As you enter the intersection: Still showing the red light
3. As you clear the halfway mark of the intersection: Light is still red.

If you turned right, you would not have needed to cross halfway into the intersection, which probably explains why there were only two flashes.

Apparently they review all the incidences and in the end, only 1/4 of red light runners actually get a ticket.
oOoOooOOo what does this space do

-2011 BMW E92 335i- Current
-2009 Chrysler Sebring Convertible- SOLD