REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 01-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Debate Help

Hey guys, I'm doing a debate for a sociology class and was wondering if you guys had some tips for prepping/presenting a debate. Any strategies for on-the-spot strategies for attacking the other group? I'm totally new to this and the project is competitive so I'm assuming the team that provides a more persuasive argument will get higher marks.

My topic is "be it resolved that sport heroes are beneficial to society" so that might give you some indication to the direction I'm going. I'm still not sure whether I want to go for or against, but let me know which one you guys think will give a stronger argument (stronger/more points).
Advertisement

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
I didn't take any sociology class but I have done a few business/government policy debates. I have no idea what's the format of your class so here's some general ideas:

1. You have to pick a stand, then develop yours AND your opponent' s possible/probable points because you want to be able to quickly counter them instead of having to think about it. Write them all down on a piece of paper helps.
2. Use facts/concrete numbers as premises instead of your feelings/thoughts. Can you use the overhead projector. Throw in some graphs/charts always wow everyone.
3. Poke holes in your opponent's point by thinking critically: Should their facts apply? What facts they chose to leave out? Etc.
4. Keep it cool and talk like your shits don't stink.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
5. If all else fails, "I know you are, but what am I?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
I didn't take any sociology class but I have done a few business/government policy debates. I have no idea what's the format of your class so here's some general ideas:

1. You have to pick a stand, then develop yours AND your opponent' s possible/probable points because you want to be able to quickly counter them instead of having to think about it. Write them all down on a piece of paper helps.
2. Use facts/concrete numbers as premises instead of your feelings/thoughts. Can you use the overhead projector. Throw in some graphs/charts always wow everyone.
3. Poke holes in your opponent's point by thinking critically: Should their facts apply? What facts they chose to leave out? Etc.
4. Keep it cool and talk like your shits don't stink.

I do get to use an overhead projector, so I guess I'm going to have to use it since I'll be at a huge disadvantage if my opposing team decides to use it. Are there any templates of presenation that you would recommend? Phrases or catchy statements you suggest for a more persuasive argument?

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
5. If all else fails, "I know you are, but what am I?"
/debate
Posted via RS Mobile
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #6
Treasure Chest MOD

aight lets keep it serious guys

Old 01-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
Any strategies for on-the-spot strategies for attacking the other group?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
This. Don't attack the group/opponent; attack their points. Don't JUST figure out what you're going to say, and don't JUST try to guess what they're going to say: the better you know the subject matter, the easier it will be to see the holes in their arguments and address those.

Plus, you don't know what they might use to counter your statements; they may call you out on something you hadn't thought of. Again, the better you learn the subject matter as a whole, the better you'll be able to defend yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
I'm not aware of any presentation templates. I suggest using the overheard sparingly instead of relying on it. If you have a chart that illustrates your point, put it there. Going on a chart marathon is ill-advised.

Also be mindful when your opponent use absolute phrases: like everyone, everything or something as a necessity (need vs. want) etc.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: