REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

SUV Question

Hi I am planning to buy a new SUV and it will be first my first SUV.

Considering between

Hyundai Tucson, Nissan Rogue, 2013 Mazda CX5, Mitsubishi RVR

All of them are around 34K(not sure about CX5, but should be same) with the Navi system package and AWD.

As for exterior they look very similar, interior is different but all of them are not bad.

What I look for a car is, it must be reliable(not many problem even if parts needed to be replace, it will be fairly cheap), maintenance fairly reasonable price (at the official dealer, will be using synthetic oil) and safety. So which one of the 3 do you guys think that will fit my requirement.

Nissan has been around fairly long, I heard that Nissan is all about performance car.

Mazda CX-5, it will be their first generation (so not sure if there will be problems?)

Hyundai Tuscon, they have been around for awhile, but never make a big splash, I guess until recently. Are they reliable?

Mitsubishi, again like Nissan all about performance.

What do you guys think, Thanks for helping

Edit

If Acura RDX with navi package AWD around 37K added to the mix with previous 4 suv i mentioned, will you guys all go for Acura?

If Acura is not in the mix, what SUV were you guys choose?
Advertisement

Last edited by i-VTEC; 01-30-2012 at 09:29 AM.
i-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
You don't want Nissan/ Mitsubishi because of the CVT.. they are not for performance.. they are just horrible for North America driving especially since our gas is cheap.

I would look into Kia Sportage by Peter Schreyer. CX5 should be cheaper than the ones you mentioned.. since it is down on power.

Just skip the internet bit and go test drive the cars yourself. Opinions are like assholes.. everyone has (hopefully) a different one.

Last edited by godwin; 01-30-2012 at 09:33 AM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #3

Kind of don't like Kia Sportage, for some reason.

So its between Hyundai Tucson vs 2013 Mazda CX5.

2nd Generation Hyundai Tucson ($34~35K) vs First Generation Mazda CX5 (Perhaps $30~$32K)

Umm...

Then there is 2nd Generation Acura RDX ($38K)

Old 01-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I don't think Nissan and Mitsu are "all about performance". I have a CVT Lancer which is similar to the RVR. The CVT while lacks gears isn't that bad. CVT compared to a manual or a dual clutch system is awful but it's about equal to traditional slushbox automatic.

I was looking at some suv's and decided not to get one. Here are some quick mental notes from my research. I was looking for very car-like SUV's:
Nissan Juke: Very good bang for the buck but ugly as sin. I read that handling is very good. Not a lot of room inside
RVR: Slow. Most reviews I read trashed the handling. I think it looks pretty good from the outside
Mini Countryman: $$$
VW Tiguan: $$$ and I hear bad things about VW reliability. I think this car looks sexy so if I 'had' to get an SUV I'll highly consider this one.
Honda CRV/Toyota Rav: Popular and I'm sure they're reliable. They're kinda bland but very practical IMO. I'll consider one when I'm old

I've been reading lots of reviews here:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/category/reviews/

Last edited by mos_skeeto; 01-30-2012 at 10:14 AM.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #5

I heard CVT is bad, if something wrong then you need to replace the whole engine

Agree, Honda and Toyota are very reliable.

Rav4 is nice, however my gf, thinks the spare tire on the rear looks ugly.

CRV, exterior isn't good compare to Tucson or CX5 (personal preference)

then again, Acura is Honda, so RDX would be the better choice haha (slightly high on my budjet tho)

Last edited by i-VTEC; 01-30-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
One good thing about the rvr is the huge panoramic glass roof, but yea its not fast but if you are just looking for a city car then its not bad, and mitsubishi has 10 year warranty
Posted via RS Mobile
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #7

I already own a Civic, happy with that =)

my gf likes SUV, cause its sort of big, so she feel safer (same as other girls).

I live in Richmond, work in Richmond, Civic is already good enough.

My gf lives in Richmond works in Burnaby, a SUV would be still safer, consider, Burnaby has a lot of car accident. Not to mention heavy snow in Winter Season (AWD + Winter Tires + SUV can't get any safer)

We'll also use the SUV for driving to the States, Seattle, like to the Westfield Southcenter mall. tho, I drove my Civic there, it was ok, but a SUV would be better =)
Old 01-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #8

You are hearing a lot of heresays.

CVT is noisy.. it is the same type of gearbox used in sewing machines.. it is belt driven, with sensors / solenoids to create the perception of gears. However if something is wrong, you don't need to replace the engine, you would need to replace the CVT, since the volume of CVT is low.. you will need to order one direct from Nissan / Mitsu.. which can be big bucks.

If your girlfriend weigh so heavily on your purchase decision.. why don't you let her decide for you?

Actually the type of AWD that your choices are not as safe as Torsen type AWD. So don't think just it is AWD it is perfectly safe.. even within AWD some types are safer than others. Get some winter driving lessons will probably help a lot more. SUV has a higher center of gravity, it make a huge difference especially when the road gets bad and you have to swerve. I would say between a comparable car say a Lancer AWD vs a Mitsu AWD SUV, I would take the Lancer if it is purely a safety factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d87c View Post
I heard CVT is bad, if something wrong then you need to replace the whole engine

Agree, Honda and Toyota are very reliable.

Rav4 is nice, however my gf, thinks the spare tire on the rear looks ugly.

CRV, exterior isn't good compare to Tucson or CX5 (personal preference)

then again, Acura is Honda, so RDX would be the better choice haha (slightly high on my budjet tho)

Last edited by godwin; 01-30-2012 at 11:11 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Quote:
I heard that Nissan is all about performance car.

Mitsubishi, again like Nissan all about performance.
O RLLY

Quote:
My gf lives in Richmond works in Burnaby, a SUV would be still safer, consider, Burnaby has a lot of car accident.
I think Richmond is worst

I would wait a few months for the CX-5 to come out first, and give it a test drive to see if you like it or not. It sounds like the ideal car for you, as you just want a car that is slightly "larger" and "higher ground clearance" for the feeling of safety / snow....but no real intend to take it anywhere off-road, or up to the mountains.

Would slightly used, but relatively new SUV's (1-3 years), be in your consideration? If it is, there's quite a bit of choices you can go with around that budget level. And p.s: you can get a RAV4 without the spare tire at the back.
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Get a Tiguan....reliability is not bad...performance is outstanding...design is great
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #11

Sky High:
Ya, this is how I categorize

Nissan/Mitsu/Sabru, Altima, 370Z, Lancer, WRX (Performance car! Fast Cars)
Mazda 3 (Best in interior, Sound System)
Honda Civic ( Overall but more in style )
Corolla ( Overall, but more on reliability )

But lets not change topic

An used (1-3) is good depend if its Certified Used or not, and where was it maintenanced. If maintain @ official dealership then I guess its ok

Rav4 you can choose without the spare tire at the back? nice!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
You are hearing a lot of heresays.
If your girlfriend weigh so heavily on your purchase decision.. why don't you let her decide for you?
Cause I am paying most of it like 60%~70%

While she makes more $ than me too lol

Cheaper the better =)
Old 01-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Actually the type of AWD that your choices are not as safe as Torsen type AWD. So don't think just it is AWD it is perfectly safe.. even within AWD some types are safer than others. Get some winter driving lessons will probably help a lot more. SUV has a higher center of gravity, it make a huge difference especially when the road gets bad and you have to swerve. I would say between a comparable car say a Lancer AWD vs a Mitsu AWD SUV, I would take the Lancer if it is purely a safety factor.
Good points. When it snows and I get a ride from my friends/family with SUV's... they scare the shit out of me. It's like they spend the entire year waiting for some flaky stuff so they can use their AWD machine and haul ass. The false sense of security can be a very bad thing and you see suv's and trucks in ditches all the time on the Coq when it snows.

I realize lots of people buy larger cars to feel safer. I find that these type of drivers aren't the most confident drivers on the road and often have trouble parking large vehicles. Sorry for the stereotype but just sayin'

You do realize it snows like 5 days a year right?

Last edited by mos_skeeto; 01-30-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #14

SUV has more weight compared to a sedan

SUV also have 17 inch tires or 18 if you upsize for winter tires, greater surface area

greater surface area + more weight + winter tires, you aren't likely to swerve or slide.

Snow is not dangerous as you can just be trapped.

But ice is dangerous as you can slide and hit other cars.

Also we don't get a lot of snow here in Vancouver Area, so we can say we rarely will be stuck on the road. However, we'll definitely have lots of icy roads.

But since SUV's tires have more surface area and larger mass(weight) so this is why I think its safer

Also compare to a sedan, SUV tend to be stronger and safer in a way that if you were to go head to head collision, SUV will definitely win.

tho safer stronger car, might have to go American =) like Ford lol, but naw!

As for parking, I admit, my gf suck at it lol, most girls can't park, but I think most SUV nowadays have the technology which parks for you =) she will definitely be using that haha

Last edited by i-VTEC; 01-30-2012 at 11:51 AM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #15

Oy.

Quote:
"SUV has more weight compared to a sedan"
yup which helps in traction but it messes you up when you try to stop... Think about how accidents happen. Is it because you can't 'go' or is it because someone can't stop.

Think people running red light accidents. Cars ending up in ditches accidents. Cars rear-ending accidents. All usually because you can't stop in time.

Quote:
"SUV also have 17 inch tires or 18 if you upsize for winter tires, greater surface area"
17-18 inch is rim size. Not surface area. My car has 18 inch summers. My snows are 16!!!!!!!!

Last edited by mos_skeeto; 01-30-2012 at 12:01 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos_skeeto View Post
You do realize it snows like 5 days a year right?
I know, for me, Im alright just driving my 07 Civic hahaha

but for her, i'll spend $$$ even if im over doing it the safety etc..
Old 01-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #17
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
I'd go for acura if your down to spend a bit more
Posted via RS Mobile
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #18

You want the least amount of surface area, to exert the maximum downforce for the tires to break any ice elements on the road. The thinner the tires the better. Also the smaller the diameter, you can get more cushioning ie higher profile tires, so the ride will be more comfortable and your wheels won't break if you drive over a large potholes at high speeds.

Large mass also means it is more difficult for lighter / weaker humans to manoeuvre so chances of getting into accidents can be higher. Not to mention larger wheels make it harder for sudden change in directions, so you will be stuck head on.

Honestly in terms of safety, the safety rules for sedans are stricter than SUV (which is still classified as light truck).. eg rollover etc.

There are tons of counter argument why sedans / wagons like Audi AllRoad or Subaru Outbacks are better.. eg if you get T boned, lower CoG you won't flip as easily and hurt your neck etc.

Strong != safe car. It depends on the car designers method of dissipating the energy from the sudden deceleration.

Quote:
SUV has more weight compared to a sedan

SUV also have 17 inch tires or 18 if you upsize for winter tires, greater surface area

greater surface area + more weight + winter tires, you aren't likely to swerve or slide.

Snow is not dangerous as you can just be trapped.

But ice is dangerous as you can slide and hit other cars.

Also we don't get a lot of snow here in Vancouver Area, so we can say we rarely will be stuck on the road. However, we'll definitely have lots of icy roads.

But since SUV's tires have more surface area and larger mass(weight) so this is why I think its safer

Also compare to a sedan, SUV tend to be stronger and safer in a way that if you were to go head to head collision, SUV will definitely win.

tho safer stronger car, might have to go American =) like Ford lol, but naw!

As for parking, I admit, my gf suck at it lol, most girls can't park, but I think most SUV nowadays have the technology which parks for you =) she will definitely be using that haha
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #19
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
We're also looking at the Acura over the others because of the feeling of a premium car for the price of another competitor. The RDX has way more standard equipment but for a bigger price tag.
Posted via RS Mobile
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #20
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Nissan has a 10 year warranty on all CVT's...they are not that bad, or pricey, but if something were to go wrong you do have to replace the whole CVT unit, cannot open it.
The one in the Rogue isnt noisy but if u drive like a grandma then you can feel a slight vibration due to the torque convertor locking/unlocking
Also the 08/09(think the 10MY too) had the paddle shifter/manual shifting option which can be pretty fun. Unfortunately Nissan removed it from the newer 2011/12's.
As well as the Rogue is not that great on power 170hp/175lbtq, even though the Rogue paired with the CVT makes for excellent low end torque, the Mazda cx-5 turbo motor definitely has more grunt and power, but is thirsty, and requires premium fuel.
The new Kia Sorento's aren't bad either
As said above go testdrive all of them yourself.

Last edited by ruthless; 01-30-2012 at 06:13 PM.
ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #21
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
I wouldn't get any of those if I were you. Get a 4runner.

Just don't get the navi system cuz, well, you're not a bitch right?
Old 01-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #22
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,988 Times in 538 Posts
My mom was in the same boat in December... And in the end we chose the 2012 Nissan rogue sv awd... Basically it has everything Cept the nav.... some more premium features included back up camera, sun roof, 6 speaker, iPod/USB port, blue tooth, heated seats, 18" alloy, fog light...and what not... I would say the cvt is boring but it makes up for it in the mileage... It only requires 87 octane.. And we are averaging 8.9L/100km mostly city.. Which is crazy.... Cuz that is like my corolla mileage lol... To say the least I am impressed and no we don't drive trying to keep the tach below 2000rpm... Just saying

Also cuz Nissan ran out of 2011 models at October last year.. So that why they were doing huge mark downs on their 2012 models... Our Msrp was 32,995 and we managed 27,900 (prices are before taxes) I was gunning for more savings..but in the end they included lifetime oil change service as well (supposedly 600 dollar value)

Lets face it, you are looking a cuv, so sporty will be out of the question... My suggestion is to test drive them all... My mom basically drove crv, rav4, rogue, Rvr, cx5 before making the purchase...

Last thing, rogue has the smallest capacity when the rear seats are folded down.. Go see a rav4 and a rogue back to back and you will see what I mean... But it's big enough..

Feel free to pm me if you want more details... I pretty much did the exact same research you are doing right now.. Good luck

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier

Last edited by dark0821; 01-30-2012 at 07:24 PM.
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #23
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Cross the RVR. The ride and engine is so coarse it's not even funny! The trunk space is laughable, and the car is so low on power.

If you don't mind the CVT, the Rogue SV (top of the line) has some pretty nice cash incentives on it.

I personally love the CX5, and I can't wait to see it in person next month.

Would you consider a CPO CX7 / RDX? Performance wise, it will slaughter all the cars you have listed, and is one size larger (though, not by much.) They should be within the $25-30k range.

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #24
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGang View Post
Get a Tiguan....reliability is not bad...performance is outstanding...design is great
I'm probably one of the resident's biggest VW/Audi fan-boy around, but their Canadian pricing on the Tiguan is absolutely laughable. A base model AWD Tiguan is almost $34k. You can tick every single option on all of the other models listed, and the driving dynamics isn't that much different.

Also, the cargo space is almost the same as a VW Golf, which is pretty sad

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #25
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
How could you NOT go CR-V after seeing this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: